“Great Easter Break”

Cow Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cow Bay
“Great Easter Break”
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We live in Cairns and where do you go for Holidays when where you live is the perfect Holiday Destination. We decided to take the children (4 & 9) up to see the Daintree and Cape Tribulation as they had not been over the Daintree as yet. Upon arriving at our booked destination (I wont give the name as I don't believe in bad mouthing a place) I paid for our two nights accommodation and then went to see our room (I wasn't expecting too much as I am aware of the remoteness of the Daintree and lack of essential services) but hello a tiny room with a double bed, double bunks painted concrete floor and a dingie old air conditioner no chair to sit on (because there wasn’t any room) or ANYTHING ELSE left me quite baffled. I don't mind paying for accommodation but at $145.00 a night for a box shared facilities (that were disgusting and dirty) is a bit over the top even for up here. I must admit the staff had no problems giving me a complete refund and off we went, up to the northern most accommodation place trying to find accommodation at Easter for Mum, Dad and two Children (Fun everyone likes to get away for the break). We had varying responses but all helpful and priced accordingly the real resorts with pool ensuited etc where what we expected to pay. Eventually we pulled into Cow Bay Hotel nearly the most southern accommodation.
To sum it up the pricing differences we had two nights accommodation with breakfast included for $120.00 per night.
Our room was ensuited with a fridge, tea, coffee & jug and Television, as mentioned before essential services are not available in Cape Tribulation the Generator was quite and supplied constant power with one power failure that lasted less than five minutes over the period of our stay.
I snuck off and went exploring (as I like to know what is around before introducing the Children to what is around).
There is a rainforest walk with supporting rope rail down to a cute little creak, swimming hole and waterfall (Crocodile free). When we did go to the creak the kids had a ball. Dad could sit and have a drink whilst the kids found water depths to their own ability.
Next door is a Ice-Cream place ($5.00 a tub) with tropical Ice-Cream Cafe and art gallery (we tried this on the Easter Monday very nice), the beach is five K down the road (we went fishing there but no luck (we never do), a short walk away is another cafe (didn't try this one).
Cathy, Dennis and their son William have been back at Cow Bay Hotel since November 2008 and are trying to build the Hotel back up again I cannot comment on the previous insidious comment Titled "Child Safety" only that the personnel and management that would have been at Cow Bay Hotel are no longer there.
I found the whole team and locals of Cow Bay friendly and nice, Easter eggs where being given out and exchanged by adults and children alike it was a wonderful atmosphere to experience.
On one night Cathy & Dennis's daughter played the guitar & sang in the rear family garden BBQ area which was very nice with our evening meal.
As an example of the hospitality of Cathy & Dennis the room next to us, after checking out and just as their room had finished being cleaned at about 11:00 they returned, one of the party suffering a migraine and were offered their freshly cleaned room for as long as required and no charge was requested. Also on our first morning my Husband wanted to take the Children to Cape Tribulation early in the morning and breakfast was made available to us when we got back about an hour after the nominated completion time no problems.
Our room was clean and big enough for the four of us and there are timber features everywhere the Cow Bay Hotel I feel is a lovely place for couples and families anyone wanting to experience the area without the noise of the backpacker set. (if you want something extra special Honeymoon etc. pay the extra for a resort)
Also we had our evening meals at the Hotel all up accommodation, breakfast and tea including lemonade for the kids and a drink for Dad was $361.00 for two nights I think this was definitely worth the drive and we now have another favourite economical place to visit on long weekends.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank LikeABargin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
southern highlands
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Never before have I been to such a disgusting, 2nd rate establishment in my life. If it isn't the lack of service or downright small minded mentality of the bar staff that will disgust you it will most definately be the way the locals are encouraged to behave. Whilst on honeymoon, my husband and I were witness to a mother that was so drunk that she wasn't even capable of opening the driver's door before she put her young son (approx 7 years old) in the front passengers seat and went for a drive. Following her drive she returned to the hotel where she was continually served more and more alcohol by the irresponsible bar staff before she again decided to drive with her son in the car on roads that could only be described as some of the most perilious and dangerous i have ever seen. Not once did the bar staff refuse this woman service or show the slightest concern for the safety and welfare of the child. If anything the "locals" closed ranks to protect this repulsive woman. My biggest fear is that this child will come to serious harm at the hands of this mother and that not a single person on that premises was at all concerned. In actual fact they supported the mother in what she was doing by way of serving her more alcohol. The way this hotel is portrayed in advertisements in completely deceptive and totally dishonest and misleading. It is for sure not the place they would have the general public believe it to be. The best advice I have ever been able to offer would be to stay as far away from this hellhole as much as possible. A classic example of selfish, laothsome individuals.

• Liked — leaving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — the locals supporting drink driving with children
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank touristtravel
51Cathy, Owner and Manager at Cow Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2009
I wish this review could be removed as this was with previous leese's who left after a very bad 3 year lease of this establishment.
It certainly is not like this now and we are the original owners and builders of this beautiful Oasis in the Rainforest the "Cow Bay Hotel" and we came back in November 2008 and have worked very hard to clean and repair this place and get things back on track!!
The hotel is certainly going from strength to strength, gaining back its reputation of a lovely family hotel and all the visitors comment on how nice it is here and how helpful and friendly our staff are.
Visitors are treated to Crocodile and Kangaroo tasting, great food, cold, cold beer a view of historic photo's of early Cow Bay and the Longest One Piece Timber Bar in the World!!
We have 6 motel style accommodation and with that, includes a tropical breakfast in the Wattle Tree Lounge/Bistro
In the beer garden we have family Pizza Nights every Wednesday evening, BBQ Nights every Friday evening. Sunday is our Roasts Night and there are Market's Day every last Sunday of the month with live music and a pool compertition!!
Hoping all future travelers will overlook the old, out of date review dated March 2008, as everything has now changed!! Please read some of our recent travelers reviews.
Cathy.
#7 of 13 in Cape Tribulation
Cape Tribulation Beach House
Cape Tribulation Beach House
#1 of 13 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Cow Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!