Daintree Crocodylus
Very Good 4/5
Excellent 5/5
Daintree Ecolodge(Daintree)
Great 4.5/5
Club Tropical Resort(Port Douglas)
Good 3.5/5
Mantra On The Inlet(Port Douglas)
Good 3.5/5
Mantra Heritage(Port Douglas)
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
All reviewsnight walksnapper islandrainforest experiencemosquito netself catercape tribulationsunday nightcommunal kitchenown bathroomsocial areafantastic experiencecommunal areasamazing rainforestsunday bbqsights and soundslaid backstayed one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 25, 2008

This is a cozy and nice place situated beautifully within the rainforest of Cape Tribulation. The accommodation is humble (basic rooms with electricity that is shut off at 11 but hot showers and comfortable beds) but the location is the reason to stay here - you really are surrounded by the forest. The property even includes its own 1hr hike with a convenient pamphlet to guide the way. Meals are served here but, as there is a full kitchen, we just cooked our own food. It is reasonably close (by car) to the walks in Cape Trib and the beach.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank shokod
Reviewed December 8, 2007

If you're looking for a luxury hotel or the party scene, Crocodylus isn't going to be your thing, but like the other reviews say, if you enjoy being out in nature, it's a great experience. I was going to stay at the Cape Trib Beach House but it ended up being full, so I stayed at Crocodylus instead, and I had a great time.

The cabins are set among the forest, not far away from each other but the surrounding vegetation is very thick. The atmosphere is very cool. I was a bit worried that the cabins wouldn't be in good condition after reading some of the reviews here, but ours was fine. They are structured cabins with tarp walls. If you like to camp you will have no problem here. There are no locks on the doors, but you shouldn't be leaving your valuables unattended in a hostel dorm anyway. Beds were comfy.

The hostel is about 3.5km from Cow Bay beach. The best way to get there is rent a bike from the hostel- it's an easy ride. The scenery is gorgeous and the beach is very quiet. If you ride in the other direction from the hostel, there are a few shops and the Daintree Ice Cream Company nearby, which is delicious. I biked up to Cape Tribulation beach from Crocodylus, which was about 25km, a really great ride. It's paved all the way and a bit hilly, but a wonderful way to take in the scenery.

I also took a morning kayak trip with Crocodylus. You're taken to the beach and get out on the water at 6am, which is painful, but it's really beautiful with the sun rising on the water. We kayaked to an empty beach where the reef came close to the shore, and we were provided with snorkeling equipment to go out into the water. The guide had brought a breakfast provided by the hostel (with delicious tropical fruit)

In general, it's a good idea to bring some food staples to Crocodylus with you from Cairns or PD so you don't buy everything from the hostel (there's no nearby grocery), but they do serve good, substantial meals at a reasonable price. I was very physically active while I was staying up there, so I was very glad of this.

The atmosphere is just really special and laid-back. I went back through Cairns on the way south, and the party atmosphere felt totally ridiculous after the peace and quiet in the rainforest.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank whitepepper
Reviewed October 19, 2007

This is a place for people who want to explore the natural world....the rainforest, the beach, etc. It is more comfortable than camping and it works well for people to like to camp and for people who want a bit more comfort. While you can do your own cooking, like in other YHAs, the restaurant offers good meals at a reasonable price.

It also has a very knowledgeable guide who gives day and night forest walks that are educational. He appeals to kids and adults both. The night walk revealed sleeping pigeons on a branch, a bandicoot, etc. and lasts three hours. Might be better as a two hour session. I also saw a cassowary on the marked trail. This is a giant bird, as tall as a human, which has an important role in perpetuating the rainforest.

Wish I could have stayed longer, done some of the activities, like the kayak trip, rented a bike and gone to the nearby beach. The management is helpful in making arrangements for trips.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank linda023
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We are a family with 4 young kids and spent one night at crocodylus and loved it, wish we could have stayed a few days.
We stayed in one of the family cabins/tents which had a queen, and six bunk beds plus shower, sink, and toilet very clean and fine. this is not a luxurious place but its magical staying in the rain forest at night- we even took a short walk down the marked trail into the forest at night the kids (ages 7,5,3 and 3) really felt like we were camping. the main lodge for dining is great and food is yummy and reasonable. It poured rain at night but we were dry and comfortable.
I was a little concerned about the previous reviews, but my expectations were exceeded and I was unable to find any other place in Cape Trib that could accomodate a family of 6 in one cabin.
We can't really speak about the day trips or the Cow Bay beach (except that is is a really long walk, you need a bike or car or I think there is a shuttle)
but Cape Trib is incredible- and staying overnight is the way to go.
Last, we were in Oz dfor 3 1/2 weeks and stayed in apartments, so don't have any comparison with regard to other hostel type places. But we loved it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Travelin_Mom_Boston
Reviewed February 2, 2007

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste and Crocodylus is NOT to my personal taste! And I was there during the low season with just a few guests in residence. I shudder to think what it would be like when it is booked out to capacity (e.g. 130 guests). I like my privacy so I booked an 'ensuite' cabin for $75 a night, not knowing that I would be getting 'half-a-tent-with-a-toilet' totally devoid of any other convenience. Indeed, one INconvenience stuck out immediately: the 'half-a-tent' room could not be locked which meant that I was constantly lugging all my important and valuable things around with me. There was no space to hang my clothes, no easy chair to relax in, no power point to recharge my digital camera on. As for privacy, well, I couldn't SEE my neighbours through the canvas wall but I could HEAR every breath they took, every movement they made (and every fart they gave out). But if you want to give Crocodylus a try (and support the owner who is trying to sell out), at least don't book your transportation through them as they are totally inflexible (moneywise, that is) if it comes to changing your return trip to another operator. Perhaps it has all to do with the commissions they receive on their preferred bus operator?

P.S. If you want to stay in the rain forest without cramping your style, try The Beachhouse a little farther up at Cape Tribulation.

Stayed: January 2007