“Absolutely the best seafood:) Bay St. Lawrence”
Review of The Bay Cafe

The Bay Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 7, 2014

What a great place to have lunch. Relax.... sit back and enjoy....Trust me..

We stopped for a lunch off Cabot Trail at The Bay Cafe.in the Bay St. Lawrence.what a beautiful view driving in on a bike. I would recommend if you are on Cabot Trail and want to venture off 10km on the Northern Point..go Visit The Bay Cafe in the Bay St. Lawrence and meet friendly..great people..good food and fun!!

Guaranteed Whale watching too!!

Wow oh..wow..so cute located in the town old school. Now it is a cafe/school/community centre..who would of thought of that..Well they did. Clean, feels like being back at school when I was a kid at lunch and talking to your friends at different tables.

I tried to order the special...seafood chowder..they had just sold out..really I said...The table across from us said..YUM YUM..so good...We have been on the east coast for 8 days and not many have fresh fish...so I order the lobster sandwich with a green salad. My husband ordered fresh fish and chips.

Sit back and relax..you will get lunch and it is worth the wait:) so Yummyyyyy

Loraine brought us lunch..I open the sandwich and it was full of claws of lobster..not lobster cut up with mayo--in tiny pieces....OHHH..it was big pieces claws etc..of yummy fresh lobster....fresh bread..The fish with the fish and chips was lightly batter and 1 1/2 inches thick of fresh white fish..cook to perfection..thank you Angle..well done:)!!

The people in this little town are kind, friendly and amazing...we will be back for more. and next time at noon for Angles Seafood Chowder.( big chucks of lobster, scallops, fish).thank you to The Bay Cafe and to the Bay St. Lawrence for a wonderful enjoyable time..

We meet a couple (Fraser) local folks. who were gracious and invited us to their home. they cleaned, cook and served fresh crab right off the boat..you cannot get it any fresher!! Thank you..

Amy M, Manager at The Bay Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2015

Alice M
Thanks for your time in writing the review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your fish and lobster sandwich. We make our own bread for the lobster sandwiches, the lobster is caught here at our port so it is as fresh as it gets! We also appreciate your comment on the cleanliness, as we strive to keep this huge (old Elementary School) clean :)
Thanks again,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am always looking for local, out-of-the-way places for my tour group. I find it gives them a sense of place when visiting new locales. It also gives them the opportunity to try local specialties, and usually homemade desserts.

Definitely unassuming from the outside, and as stated by others, it is part of the community center building. Nothing fancy inside, but we came to eat. Everybody was wearing a smile when they walked in...

One of the group is celiac and they had no problem making up a dish that took care of the need. I love homemade bread and it was perfect for my crab sandwich. I am a big milk drinker and it was ice cold - perfect. I will be bringing next year's tour here for a meal!

2  Thank slobird
Amy M, Manager at The Bay Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for the kind words, I do believe the day you stopped in we were also just in the middle of doing some reno's to the Centre itself which also makes for an interesting visit. The outdoor deck is now complete and for the next visit you will be able to enjoy the view from the outside.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

$12 lunch special included tasty chowder of just caught local seafood, fresh crab sandwich & a cup of tea. $5 more for a large fresh strawberry shortcake big enough for 3 to share. Many local crabbers were in this cafe located in the the community centre of this picturesque fishing village on the north tip of Cape Breton. High recommended & would return again.

1  Thank vin0tint0
Amy M, Manager at The Bay Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thanks for sharing your visit to the Cafe at the Community Centre, your kind words are greatly appreciated and we are all so happy to hear you would return.

Hopefully you will get a chance to visit us again someday sooner than later.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I ran across this cafe in digging for places to eat in the area and saw that it was a great place to eat. It is filled with locals (mostly) and day trippers alike. As you are heading into Bay St Lawrence, it is located on the right hand side of the road (will attach pictures). It does have a limited menu but everything we had was great! My husband got the chowder which was a huge bowl ($10 Canadian) and extremely meaty with homemade bread. I got the chicken strips ($8 Canadian - 4 strips with a side). They serve breakfast and lunch and specilaize in local seafood.
The service was fast and friendly! The atmosphere was well... great (everyone knew each other - I love places like this!). It is nothing fancy. Very simple tables and chairs, remember it is hooked into a community center. According to their website, they are open all year. Highly Recommend!
This town is extremely small and we only saw one other place to eat (which was take-out and was closed).

4  Thank Nina1940

I missed your review when you initially posted it but better late then never thank you so much for the kind words.