I first came across Horsley Hills when I was searching for a filming location. Descriptions of the place and the mixed (yes...almost a 50-50 split between good and bad) feedback made me curious. Hence the trip.
There are few options when it comes to accommodation. You have the APTDC Haritha and other options at nearby towns. Since I did not want to drive up a hill every morning for a few days of my vacation, I chose the Haritha Resort.
Let us go in for a detailed analysis:
1. Booking: Super smooth online booking facility. No issues whatsoever.
2. Check in and Check Out: It was good but focus on detail could have made it much better. I had to go through the bill and the comments on the bill a few times)
3. Rooms: The rooms were very old but clean and neat. Considering the rates it should have been made much better and in touch with modern times. I chose the Governers Bungalow and checked out the other options. My opinion on rooms holds true for all categories of rooms.
4. Service: Again a mixed bag here. You are given mobile numbers to contact personnel who will arrange for food etc.! While the personnel were polite enough I found that it took a long time for everything to happen. However, the person at the Governers Bungalow (I call him the 'Caretaker') was prompt when it came to Tea, Coffee etc.
Yet again a mixed bag! The resort has a swimming pool, adventure sports, Zorbing etc. etc. etc. however by demanding a quorum for all the activities I wanted to do, the activities team poured cold water on my plans! A more organized approach would have gone a long way.
This is the resorts Achilles heel. The one restaurant there serves a fixed menu that is oily and a little too spicy even by Andhra standards. I found this a big let down and this is when I was expecting only normal food. There are a few options outside the resort but it involves you striking a bargain and the painful process of selecting the poultry or fish that you want (if you are non veg)
7. Security: I was a bit apprehensive about the security arrangements as I noticed that the resort was the hill station and there were some strange characters moving around. Nothing happened that made me overtly concerned but I did notice people moving around when they should have been in other areas. This is my major concern about the resort.
8. Location: Awesome! The resort covers almost the entire summit! Unbeatable.
In spite of all it's failings the Harita resort makes a strong case for itself with it's location and the value pricing of it's rooms. The activities are also good if you have little children and/or are in a group.
Take a good camera along as there are many awesome sights within the resort itself.
I recommend the Haritha Resort for a good family or Group weekend break
- Also Known As:
- Haritha Hill Resort Horsely Hills Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh, India