“Excellent for cycling.”
Review of Le Cormier

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sambin
Le Cormier
Ranked #2 of 2 Sambin B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in August on our way north and would have like to stay longer . Le Cormier is peaceful comfort surrounded by beautiful country side. Our suite Willow was tastefully decorated and had everything one could wish including our own patio to watch the stars from.
Over our delicious breakfast we chatted about cycling, amongst many things, and were offered advice on and leant maps for the many local cycle routes. Several of these are only a 5 minute cycle from the front door. This made our stay perfect.
A peaceful interlude in a busy world.

Room Tip: We liked Willow as it had its own kitchen and side patio.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael H, Owner at Le Cormier, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Simon and Bobbi were delightful guests. Marie-Louise likes to cycle (a lot!) and knows our region well. She shared the opportunities with them after finding out just exactly what kind of ride in which they were both interested. We hope they return, for it would be great fun to cycle with them!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here in June 2012 . Marie-Louise and Michael was excellent Host. If you like warm , very friendly people and you enjoye good food , interesting talk ..Don't miss it ! If you can cook than you should bring some recipe for Michel and maybe you can cook with with him . I will never forget that i cooked hungarian goulash with holland & american couple in France .
The breakfast was excellent .The big room with the mega big bath room was clean and very nice.
The welcome cookies and fruits so yammy .
Parking: enough place for big car. With Car Navi sytem difficult to find the le Cormier but with TomTom no problem
Dear Marie-Louise and Michael Thank you very much for the wonderful recipes. Thank you very much as well for your very warm welcome and magnificent stay and culinary delight by you. Dear Michael you should write a book ..

Room Tip: Cinnamon:The big room with the mega big bath room was clean and very nice.
Michael H, Owner at Le Cormier, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Wow! What a complement. But the complement really goes to Ildiko! When she told me she was raised cooking Hungarian Goulash with her mother, I begged her to tell me the authentic recipe. Marie-Louise loves, simply adores, goulash. I've been faking it for a long time. Ildiko elected (well .. maybe, agreed ...) to SHOW me and we all had a wonderful dinner during their visit. Marie-Louise and I will never, ever forget that visit! She and Eugene are invited back anytime they want, and this time, dinner is on me - four courses, wine -- the works! Read this Ildiko, make your reservation (it's slow this year) and come visit us and the castles. We'd love it!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed in Willow for two nights in September on our way down to Collioure - we really couldn't have asked for a more relaxing spot whilst still close to so many Loire attractions.

The accommodation has been lovingly restored to an exceptionally high standard by the owners resulting in a spacious and tasteful suite of rooms including bedroom, huge bathroom with fab shower, sitting room, kitchen and a courtyard. We arrived in a heatwave but the thickness of the walls ensure that the interior space remains cool.

Breakfast was also particularly noteworthy as Michael likes to cook guests something special each day and to a very fine standard - almost no room for lunch (almost!). I couldn't recommend this place more; the only reason we didn't stop on the way back North was because we took a slightly different route.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Cheers for that, I don't need to write anything do I? Oh go on then.

At the time I booked, there weren't many recent reviews on Trip Advisor so it was a medium gamble but one I'm glad I took. If you're not a keen reader at this point then look away and just go book it, it'll save your retinas.

We arrived in the evening and were warmly greeted by Michael - an enthusiastic American with a passion for, well probably everything he does really. We were shown our room and then left in peace and that's something you get in spades here - peace. It's pretty much agriculture central around here and I would urge you to plot the co-ordinates (from their web site) in your sat nav before setting off - I did and it took us to the door so there's no excuses for not finding it.

Breakfast the next morning - it's like a conveyor belt of food that just keeps arriving in front of you and we're not talking a few bits of bread & croissants here, this is a home-cooked breakfast that has an eye on being your source of sustenance for the rest of the day. The grilled tomatoes go rather well with the sausage and cheese-filled pancake rolls. I'm sure Michael got the idea with us Brits and our tea as we were provided with more teabags for the following day's breakfast... love a strong cuppa! The 2nd day's breakfast was totally different too - I'll not spoil it, but once again the cooking was top notch. Oh stuff it, it's eggs benedict and you'll love it (disclaimer: I have no idea if you'll get eggs benedict or not!).

There's loads of parking, there's just loads of space everywhere and the view out over the large pond (bordering on being a lake) and surrounding countryside are fantastic. You can't help but like this place.

Facilities are excellent. We had the cheaper of the 2 rooms but wish we'd gone for the one with the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, both are big apartments (calling it a room as I did is quite an understatement) but for the extra bit per night I'd have the one on the end with the kitchen next time.

Queen-sized comfortable bed, walk-in shower, big bathroom, personal outside table & chairs, fridge, sitting area, tea& coffee making facilities, enough books to start a library (with a swap-shop style bring & take thing going on)...cuddly toy...sorry, couldn't resist but you get the idea, there's plenty in there. Mesh screens at the windows so you can keep your windows open in hot weather without having a swarm of bugs - nice touch.

Michael will happily chat at length about the superb renovation, life in France, cookery or whatever else but once you're done with breakfast or whatever, he's back doing his thing leaving you to do yours and that's just what you need on a relaxing break.

Amboise and Blois are a short car journey away (circa 30 mins), each with plenty of cheap or free parking near their centres and each with a lovely chateau - well worth a journey from Le Cormier. In Amboise - park almost opposite the chateau down by the river next to the bridge - there was no ticket machine in July 2012 and we were there all day for free. In Blois, there's riverside parking on the North side of the river right next to the Quai Saint-Jean. You get into it by coming over the bridge (pont Jacques Gabriel), turning right at the end of the bridge and then almost immediately bearing right onto the raised parking bit - keep going as the second bit of parking isn't limited to 2 hours and was about 3 euros for 8 hours. Bargain.

Anyway, the accommodation: I defy anyone to have a bad night's sleep here.

Note to Michael: - hope Marie-Louise is feeling better and do please respond to the good reviews on here, you need to take a bow for all your hard work!

Room Tip: Both apartments are excellent, but the more expensive one is the one I'd go for but you'll n...
1  Thank Paul T
Michael H, Owner at Le Cormier, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Paul and Vicky visited us for two days and it was Paul who told me I should respond to ALL the reviews - not just the negative ones. Since we hadn't had any negative reviews, I hadn't said a word - or typed one (I'm really behind the times)! Paul told me that if I didn't respond, I'd look just like a bump on a log and that's not good. So I have Paul to thank for setting me straight. I think he looked at the reviews before he came and noticed I hadn't responded.

So, when I contacted TripAdvisor to respond, they told me, "Not so fast, bud." Actually, it was my grandmother on my mother's side that always called me 'bud.' Anyway, I had to convince TripAdvisor that I was me, even though they kept sending me the 'Review Alerts' and, I suppose, not to anyone else.

But, in this day and age, I guess one can't be too careful ...

Then Paul sends in this magnificent review. Thanks, again, Paul. He told me he wants to come back and bring some friends, since we have two suites with an interconnecting door. It would be like renting a two-bedroom house with kitchen and two sitting rooms and breakfast served, to boot! Marie-Louise and I look forward to that for, while Paul and Vicky were here, Marie-Louise was very ill and staying in her bed most of the time. They only got to meet for a brief moment. Happily, Marie-Louise is very much on the mend now. She wants to get a closer look at Paul's car (he's a true aficionado)!

Thanks, again, Paul and Vicky. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

From the start this was the best place I have ever stayed! The genuine warmth of the greeting, and the wonderful garden, to the best breakfasts in the world! I could continue with superlatives but just go there!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

What can one say about Michael's and Marie-Louise's, a charming American and Dutch couple who rebuilt a derelict farm into a delightful holiday home? More info can be found at http://www.lecormier.com/suites.htm

Michael has infinite patience when being interrogated about the history of the rebuilding. He's most unusual - an artistic engineer - usually engineers are Philistines but not Michael. Of course Michael's breakfasts are worth a Michelin 3-star rating. Marie-Louise is a keen Dutch biker - even by Dutch standards. She tends a beautiful garden - the house being located in a peaceful setting.

This really is a place not to be missed - only surpassed by its hosts.

Room Tip: Cinnamon if you don't want to self-cater but Willow if you do with superb breakfasts being inclu...
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Marie-Lousie and Michael are great hosts and the accommodation they offer is extraordinary. The two 'cottages' on their end of their restored stone barn each offer the accommodation of a suite, one of them with a kitchen as well.

Michael's breakfast surpasses what most high-end hotels offer whilst Marie-Louise's beautiful garden and decor give you instant tranquility.

Dont hesitate - book!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks, Tom and Carole, for your visit and your kind remarks. We greatly enjoyed our discussions whilst you visited us and look forward to the next time you might come. I remember that the tomatoes in our garden were just ripe during your stay and I was very happy to cook up some 'tomates provencal' for you both!

Been to Le Cormier? Share your experiences!