“Lion comfort”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Lion Cottage

Bedroom 2
Family bathroom
Stained Glass Window
NIne Ladies stone circle, Birchover
Jane standing on a rock near Birchover!
View from Haddon Hall (beautiful medieval manor house near Birchover)
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Ishwaran
Beijing, China
“Lion comfort”
Reviewed August 29, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

Wonderful place; my family and I had a great time. For me everything was great and perfect! The pub next door and Druid's Inn restaurant were excellent. The countryside all around is great. The only request for possible additions for the future comes from my sons who missed the sports channels in the TV! My wife however thought that it was a good thing that we did not have sports channels. Hoping to be back again in the future.

Date of stay: August 2017
SMeaden20...
Reading, United Kingdom
“Cosy and home from home”
Reviewed August 27, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

This quaint pet friendly cottage is situated right in the heart of Birchover Village. It has everything you need and is cosy and very comfortable. Situated next door to the red lion pub (and micro brewery) where a walm welcome awaits you. There are plenty of walks nearby and short car journeys away. The owner clearly takes great pride in the cottage and it really is home from home. Well worth the money,

Mrs Annem...
“lovely cottage, excellent location”
Reviewed July 9, 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

The communication with and assistance from the owner was first class, throughout. The accommodation is of a very high standard and Birchover is a nice quiet village and an ideal base for exploring the area. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend the cottage to other families. We would definitely go back to the cottage for a further stay.

Date of stay: July 2017
kjshamp
Jackson, Wyoming
“Quiet, beautiful, convenient location. Cottage is well stocked with amenities and very clean and comfortable.”
Reviewed May 5, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

I stayed with my mother and sister for three nights. The cottage is even more lovely than the pictures show. Beds are very comfy and plenty warm though there are wool blankets for added warmth if you need. Kitchen is well stocked with tools but we didnt do any cooking. Food next door at the pub was excellent. There are three ways into Birchover and beware of GPS. One way in is a long winding narrow road with blind corners and turnouts for when there's oncoming traffic. It's not fun that way. There is another way through Matlock past the Sainsbury's that was much easier.

susan6520...
Wales, United Kingdom
“Cosy Cottage”
Reviewed April 15, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Clean cosy cottage .Good yfi . clean comfy beds .Good quality towels.11 year old grandson enjoyed his first experience in a cottage . Situated in a great spot for walking.Went to Ashbourne to do the Tissington trail cycle run most enjoyable.

Fullerton...
Warwick
“Fantastic cottage in lovely area”
Reviewed March 13, 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

My wife and I booked Lion cottage for a rare week away without the kids, and we're very glad we did as it was a wonderful getaway. The week itself began inauspiciously with us nearly driving all the way there before my wife realised she'd forgotten her various sacks full of toiletries and I had to drive all the way home to get them, but once we had driven back and forth between Warwickshire and Derbyshire a few times our marriage remained intact and arrival at the cottage was all the more welcome.
The cottage itself is lovely, nicely furnished in traditional style in the lounge, dining room and bedrooms, but with up to date kitchen and bathrooms, the kitchen was well equipped, the beds comfortable and there was an open fire in the dining room. the owner was extremely nice and very responsive to any questions that arose, and generally very helpful and accommodating, which I think can make all the difference to the enjoyment of a holiday.
The village itself is well situated for walks to the nine ladies stone circle and Robin hoods stride and I'm sure plenty of other walks could be started from it, there is also obviously an abundance of other walks to be had if you drive a little way. both pubs were good and welcoming, I probably preferred The Druid, but would have been happy with the Red Lion had it been the only one.
There was plenty to do in the surrounding area, though be aware that some attractions are not open off season. Bakewell is a nice little town with pubs, restaurants and shops to while away a day, though if you are after fish and chips, don't be caught out like we were on our first night as one of them shuts at 8pm and the other at 6pm! the Peacock pub saved us on that score though.
All in all I would heartily recommend, and I very much hope to go back there soon with our children.

Date of stay: February 2017
Your age range 35-49
KEVIN K
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Beautiful character cottage in a peaceful and idyllic location”
Reviewed April 5, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

I took my parents away for Easter and we were joined by my son for a 3 night stay in Lion Cottage. The cottage was full of character, clean, tidy with all amenities. We had a truly lovely stay, and the cottage lived up to all our expectations.

Thanks

Date of stay: March 2016
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The character, cleanliness and location of the cottage.
Liked least: Lack of a local shop.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing