Blue Bay Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Romeos Hotel(Patmos)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsbeautiful viewshort walkpiesevery morningowners and staffbluebay hotelgreek islandsholy islandwithin easy walking distancewonderful staffhome maderoom was largestayed for nightshotel is in a great locationtown centreterraceships
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I have just completed a little over one month on Patmos.

Through the Blue Bay Hotel I rented a well-appointed one-bedroom apartment with fantastic views at Meloi Bay, about 2km from Port Skala.

It is a short walk to the beach, has a covered patio with a great outlook to the sea and has good-sized rooms, including a kitchen and lounge.

Two restaurants are nearby, and it's about a 20-minute walk into town.

There's not cable TV, internet or phone, but that's not why I went there. You can get BBC World news via the antenna.

It's a perfect place to get some serious work done, and just as perfect to get away from it all.

I've also stayed at the Blue Bay Hotel twice. Several of the rooms have patios that overlook the entry to Port Skala harbor. It's relaxing to watch the boats, ships and yachts come and go all day.

Shops and restaurants are about a two-minute walk away. And staff excellent perfect English ....

David

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2009

When you get off the ferry, don't hire a taxi to take you to the hotel. You'll be embarassed. Blue Bay is just around the corner, 2 minutes max. And, hotel staff will probably be there to pick up your bags and drive you if you must, as they were for my wife and I. But we walked and it was a snap.

Everything was fine until we walked into the room. It was late, and we were tired. Upon entering the room, I blurted out "prison beds, what did we do to deserve this?" About a 3-4" mattress, thin sheets, thin blanket, and a thin pillow.

We travel a lot and are used to the European twin bed pushed together thing. But these have wood frames with wood foot boards. At 6'2", I'm used to my feet hanging off the end of the bed, but with the wood foot board, I couldn't. The result was an almost sleepless first night (booked two nights) and an aching back in the morning.

When I booked the hotel, I realized it was a good value and appeared to be the best accommodation I could find in Patmos. And it may be. If you're under six feet and don't mind sleeping on a thin mattress, then it's fine. Especially for the price.

There were no pictures on the walls in the room and the bathroom is exceptionally small with a small, stand-up only shower with a curtain around it and a handheld shower head. No shampoo provided. Hence, the "cell" feel.

That said, the view from the ocean-view room was spectacular and almost made up for the other shortcomings. Wow! Only downside of the view is you are at the harbor with ferries coming and going, so at times, it can be a little loud.

Speaking of loud, the walls are a little thin. We had a "loud talker" in the room next to us, obviously oblivious to the fact that some people go on vacation to relax and get a good night's sleep. And the door latches are loud and the doors hollow, so at night, when it's supposed to be quiet, the simple act of someone entering their room down the hall can be quite loud.

We had planned to spend two nights and take the day ferry to Kos but we ended up taking the 2:25am ferry to Kos the second night there. Just really needed a comfortable bed to sleep in.

I know I sound like a whiny, spoiled American tourist who expected too much from a low cost hotel. But, hey, I can't help to think if they put a few pictures on the walls, put decent mattresses on the beds, and installed "quiet lock" door locks, they'd have a real winner. Good news for them is they probably are the best hotel on the island. We rented a motor scooter and drove around the south side of the island and we didn't see anything that looked any better. At all.

The breakfast offered was mediocre but about what I expected for the price. And, no, I didn't complain. The Owner is so, so nice and accommodating. She's a real sweetheart and her son is so cute.

So, even with my misgivings, if you're going to Patmos, I do recommend this hotel. Just barely, but recommended nonetheless.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CirruslyAloft
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Lovely family-run hotel - really enjoyed our stay here. Close to main town by port - easily walkable. Fabulous views from the room - opens onto lovely patios. The owners gave good advice about where to go and what to do. Loved the grandparents and their warmth - and the homemade fig preserves. Not inexpensive, but pretty good value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2009

For 90 euro per night was not cheap for the quality of the room (the quality of the wood in doors and closets is very poor) also consider it was during August when prices are high. The location of the hotel is worthies all the money, especially when you have a room with a balcony and view. We had a room with a huge balcony (the veranda of the picture) with a great view of endless blue and of the entrance of the harbor. The location is close to harbor and close to bars for night life.
The hotel is operated by a Greek-Australian family. They are very friendly. The rooms are very clean and the breakfast is basic with home made fig marmalade. Some days in breakfast there were fresh figs and fresh fruits. Overall good hotel, there are other more outrageous prized hotels in the island.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank magistros
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed in this hotel and were clearly disappointed about the hotel standard. The room was not too spacious but o.k. (even though not the standard we expected), the bathroom cleary needed some refurbishment. The view from the room was nice but we expected a more quiet location (just behind a road). Breakfast was o.k. for Greek standards. Not real value for money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple