“our first family bonding”

Playa Tropical Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Currimao
Dagupan, Philippines
“our first family bonding”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

the place was great i was not expecting to be this nice. "what you see is what you get. hope they can and will maintain it . food was affordable. our dinner was great . probably we didnt expect much because of some negative comments of old reviews .. but lucky we are . food was great,staff were friendly and hospitable esp the waiters the casa was fine the rooms was ok esp the master bedroom . it was cozy. but i guess the second floor needs more lights esp on the bed beside the vanity table and comfort room other than that everything was great.

good nice experience,good food
poque poque ,pinakbet with gata, bagnet ,binagoongan and the nachos and cheese stix

Room Tip: master bedroom is quite and well lighted.second floor room are big enough for 6 people to play aroun...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jjanjentjohanjonat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
baguio
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hotel could have been quite good, we had fun. The room was clean enough, the aircon worked well, and the place is picturesque and relaxing, but as we were having breakfast on our last day, we saw dogs running around and one of them came to the swimming pool and drank from out of the pool. Quite off-putting, since we had a baby with us who had swam in the pool the day before.

We arrived around midnight on our first night, traveling for six hours straight, and requested that the rate of Agoda be given to us, not their published rate, to make up for the time we missed. We showed the receptionist proof that we were trying to complete our booking, but were unable to do so because we were on the road. The girl from reception promised us she would ask their boss to give us a discount.

However, upon check out, after we told reception we had to leave because of appointments waiting for us back home, she said that we were being charged the full rate for the first night, but that we could stay longer than their checkout time.. Sort of ruined the happy ambiance of the place, being given an offer she knew we could not take. Better to have told us upfront rates were that way and we could have chosen a different venue for the first night before coming over.
Other than that, playa tropical could have been quite good. Dinner was delicious, although pricier than the ones outside the hotel which is about 20 minutes away. Breakfast was overpriced. Staff were friendly and attentive. No minibar, or tea making facilities. Internet is just at the lobby. Cable was okay but the tv was tiny. Water pressure was weak, and took a while to warm up. Free massage is okay. We were supposed to have four free massages but were charged for 2 because we booked our 2nd night through Agoda.

True, it's Bali inspired, but does not capture the warmth and genuineness of true Bali. We stayed at 4 hotels there and the most expensive one was a resort that had a deer park and your own private butler, limitless breakfast and the price was even lower.

A little consideration for their guests would go a long, long way in making this a preferred hotel and resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank angeladelmar

Travelers are raving about these Currimao hotels

Dagupan, Philippines
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at Playa Tropical to get away from the usual busy Christmas season. We wanted a quiet Christmas eve with family and found what we looked for at Playa Tropical. With its perfect 'goldilocks' size, it's easy for us to watch our kids while enjoying that cup of coffee and a nice book in a cozy hut. There's a game room for ping-pong, billiards, darts and foosball for you to play and goof around with your kids. Just the simple things in life you want to enjoy.

The Balinese inspired place is a perfect backdrop for family pictures. The staff are very helpful, even accommodating a special menu for my mom-in-law. Best feature is that you can bring food from outside without any corkage and can request for the kitchen to cook any recipe you want for only Php100 or around US$2.5.

Rooms are just enough - not to spacious nor too small. The whole place is clean and functionally pretty.

Their infinity pool is nice which provides a place for kids to wade in, and just enough length for you to do laps (20meters).

The place is 15 minutes away from Batac (for buy supplies) and is nearby tourist spots like Paoay, Laoag and other sites in the north.

Oh and there's FREE massage.

Room Tip: If you have enough budget, get the Casitas. It's near the pool / beach and you have your own pri...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We just get here in playa resort and its our first night.....our first terrible night because we can hear some noises outside our room... some people who keep talking outside and creating a very ANNOYING noise..and we hate it. You dont have privacy here......very very bad.....although we can say that the ambience of the hotel was good and also the food still not good.....its only for people who dont sleep at night. So if your looking for a nice place to relax and unwind dont try to come here....believe me.......you will regret it.

• Stayed December 2013
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Playa Tropical Resort Hotel is a beautiful resort in Currimao, Ilocos Norte. I immediately fell in love with its Bali inspired design. Upon check in, I was greeted by the receptionists who were very friendly and helpful.

Room 212 was given to me which is big enough for a couple. The queen-sized bed was very comfortable, the shower heats up fast, lighting is just perfect.

Although it is a beach resort, the beach wasn't swimmable when I visited because the waves were very strong. Good thing is that it has a big pool which is facing the beach.

I love that they provide a free 45 minute massage. I would suggest though that they add more masseuse based on their expected guests for the day. I had my massage the following day at a specific time only because all the masseuse were already fully booked. Bang, my masseuse, gave me the Solana signature massage. She was strong and really good!

Internet connection is only in the lobby and in the resto. If you have a Globe tattoo, you're lucky because the signal is pretty good in the resort.

The hotel restaurant, Amarra Cafe, was very disappointing. Been in the dining area for five minutes already, they even saw me enter, but no one came to me to offer the menu. Had to call their attention first before they notice me. This is despite the fact that I was the only guest at that time and there were several of them. They were too busy chatting with each other. When it was time to order, there were only a few choices in the menu. The waitress who served me barely know the dishes in the resto. I ordered sinigang na isda but they don't have fish so I changed it to binagoongang baboy, unfortunately they don't have bagoong. Very disappointing. It's a good thing that their food tastes good. I loved the ginataang pinakbet and sizzling pork chop. I also ordered tinolang manok which I wish had more ginger and had malunggay or dahon ng sili. Serving was generous. Each dish is good for 2-3 persons.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Makati City
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Honestly, I wasnt able to stay overnight in the Hotel due to some commitments. But I witness how beautiful the place was during my one day tour only. The receptionist was friendly and during the time that I visit the place, the weather was not so hot and the sea was calming blue. They also have a very nice villas.
Playa is a must visit or a must overnight stay when you are in Laoag. I will attached one of my favorite photo during my stay. See for yourself and I am sure you will be excited and mesmirize in the beauty of the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Makati
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed 3D2N for RnR. Beach & surf were fantastic, especially for our kids (6-10). They were in the water within 10minutes of arriving to resort. We stayed in a Suite in main building, which was a suitable size, but the bed was hard and as an 'extra bed' there was only a mattress on the floor. Meant one of us slept on the sofa/day bed. Living space was clean and nicely decorated, and while bathroom was ok in size, the "jacuzzi bath" had very low water pressure, and the only shower head, pulled up to about waist level, which meant kneeling showers (no other shower in bathroom). We did consider moving into one of the "Villas" but when my husband was given the 'tour', he found them absolutely filthy. DISAPPOINTED!! Really, if you're looking to rent out these (any) rooms at a significantly higher price, CLEAN THEM UP BEFORE you show your guests.

Food was ok and the longannisa were delicious. We were disappointed in not being able to order Fresh Coconuts, especially considering there were dozens of full trees all around the resort. One "thinking" staff member did have one of "pool boys" "climb up" and get us some fresh coconuts, but when we asked next, we were told, no stock ... Frustrating. As most PI Resorts, no fresh fruit or fresh fruit juice. Always surprising to me, considering we are in the tropics, but I guess it's just cheaper to drink/serve TANG or some other sugar drink than real, fresh fruit.

The 1/2 day tour to Laoag was ok, but it rained some, so we didn't get out for all the attractions. Also, our kids got a bit bored ... but interesting to see the history in the area. Esp the old cathedrals and bell towers. The "museum" is what one would expect (read up and you'll understand)

Day 2 we booked to go to the Paoay Sand Dunes ... great fun! But beware with younger kids (6&u); only the front seat is in seatbelt; everyone else is standing up and holding on in the back of the jeep. Anyhow, we had fun and our boys LOVED the sand boarding too. We were AMAZED at the beautiful view and beach (but very strong surf there) - tho we didn't plan ahead or bring our suits. Regardless a nice afternoon

We would go again, but with managing our expectations of local resorts ... good for a quiet, peaceful get-away.

Be sure to book the airport transfers to minimise hassling w taxis on arrival
Resort is remote, so not walking distance to anything ... but that's what makes it relaxing too

HUGE POTENTIAL!!!! But overpriced for quality IMO. Look for a good deal on Deal Grocer or similar. And book flights well in advance on PAL to get best fares

Had the BEST service from Anil/Neil ... was our tour guide, waitstaff and HE's the one who got us our fresh cocunts, and who recommended the Sand Dunes for our boys. Kudos to him, especially!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Currimao
Java Hotel
Grand Octagon Resort
#12 of 12 in Laoag
Bellagio Hills Hotel and Restaurant
Fort Ilocandia Resort and Casino

Been to Playa Tropical Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!