“Beautiful resort, friendly staff”

Playa Tropical Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Currimao
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Playa Tropical Resort Hotel is a beautiful resort in Currimao, Ilocos Norte. I immediately fell in love with its Bali inspired design. Upon check in, I was greeted by the receptionists who were very friendly and helpful.

Room 212 was given to me which is big enough for a couple. The queen-sized bed was very comfortable, the shower heats up fast, lighting is just perfect.

Although it is a beach resort, the beach wasn't swimmable when I visited because the waves were very strong. Good thing is that it has a big pool which is facing the beach.

I love that they provide a free 45 minute massage. I would suggest though that they add more masseuse based on their expected guests for the day. I had my massage the following day at a specific time only because all the masseuse were already fully booked. Bang, my masseuse, gave me the Solana signature massage. She was strong and really good!

Internet connection is only in the lobby and in the resto. If you have a Globe tattoo, you're lucky because the signal is pretty good in the resort.

The hotel restaurant, Amarra Cafe, was very disappointing. Been in the dining area for five minutes already, they even saw me enter, but no one came to me to offer the menu. Had to call their attention first before they notice me. This is despite the fact that I was the only guest at that time and there were several of them. They were too busy chatting with each other. When it was time to order, there were only a few choices in the menu. The waitress who served me barely know the dishes in the resto. I ordered sinigang na isda but they don't have fish so I changed it to binagoongang baboy, unfortunately they don't have bagoong. Very disappointing. It's a good thing that their food tastes good. I loved the ginataang pinakbet and sizzling pork chop. I also ordered tinolang manok which I wish had more ginger and had malunggay or dahon ng sili. Serving was generous. Each dish is good for 2-3 persons.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Playa Tropical Resort Hotel

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Honestly, I wasnt able to stay overnight in the Hotel due to some commitments. But I witness how beautiful the place was during my one day tour only. The receptionist was friendly and during the time that I visit the place, the weather was not so hot and the sea was calming blue. They also have a very nice villas.
Playa is a must visit or a must overnight stay when you are in Laoag. I will attached one of my favorite photo during my stay. See for yourself and I am sure you will be excited and mesmirize in the beauty of the place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed 3D2N for RnR. Beach & surf were fantastic, especially for our kids (6-10). They were in the water within 10minutes of arriving to resort. We stayed in a Suite in main building, which was a suitable size, but the bed was hard and as an 'extra bed' there was only a mattress on the floor. Meant one of us slept on the sofa/day bed. Living space was clean and nicely decorated, and while bathroom was ok in size, the "jacuzzi bath" had very low water pressure, and the only shower head, pulled up to about waist level, which meant kneeling showers (no other shower in bathroom). We did consider moving into one of the "Villas" but when my husband was given the 'tour', he found them absolutely filthy. DISAPPOINTED!! Really, if you're looking to rent out these (any) rooms at a significantly higher price, CLEAN THEM UP BEFORE you show your guests.

Food was ok and the longannisa were delicious. We were disappointed in not being able to order Fresh Coconuts, especially considering there were dozens of full trees all around the resort. One "thinking" staff member did have one of "pool boys" "climb up" and get us some fresh coconuts, but when we asked next, we were told, no stock ... Frustrating. As most PI Resorts, no fresh fruit or fresh fruit juice. Always surprising to me, considering we are in the tropics, but I guess it's just cheaper to drink/serve TANG or some other sugar drink than real, fresh fruit.

The 1/2 day tour to Laoag was ok, but it rained some, so we didn't get out for all the attractions. Also, our kids got a bit bored ... but interesting to see the history in the area. Esp the old cathedrals and bell towers. The "museum" is what one would expect (read up and you'll understand)

Day 2 we booked to go to the Paoay Sand Dunes ... great fun! But beware with younger kids (6&u); only the front seat is in seatbelt; everyone else is standing up and holding on in the back of the jeep. Anyhow, we had fun and our boys LOVED the sand boarding too. We were AMAZED at the beautiful view and beach (but very strong surf there) - tho we didn't plan ahead or bring our suits. Regardless a nice afternoon

We would go again, but with managing our expectations of local resorts ... good for a quiet, peaceful get-away.

Be sure to book the airport transfers to minimise hassling w taxis on arrival
Resort is remote, so not walking distance to anything ... but that's what makes it relaxing too

HUGE POTENTIAL!!!! But overpriced for quality IMO. Look for a good deal on Deal Grocer or similar. And book flights well in advance on PAL to get best fares

Had the BEST service from Anil/Neil ... was our tour guide, waitstaff and HE's the one who got us our fresh cocunts, and who recommended the Sand Dunes for our boys. Kudos to him, especially!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We went there for a 3 day, 2 night stay since we wanted to explore Ilocos. The place itself was so quiet, calm, and relaxing. Loved the layout, the garden, the casitas/floating nipa huts. The room was spacious--we got a suite type and it was also nicely decorated with a clean toilet. Bed though wasn't very comfortable, and the extra bed is just a mattress on the floor.

The pool was also really nice, the attendants were friendly and happy to serve. We wanted to know the mass schedule, and though they didn't know, they took the initiative to find out and even called us back to tell us (even if we didn't ask them to).

Food was satisfactory. Loved their longganisa, though their panini wasn't a real panini. The beach front was nice, though there was a lot of debris (probably since there was a recent storm).

My problems with the resort though was that it didn't seem as clean as we thought. We spotted around 4 cockroaches in our room. Would have also appreciated a safety vault in the room since most people would go there to go out and may need to leave some valuables in the room.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting the suite or casa, I think their deluxe rooms are small, but that's just...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SPuen
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We spent 2 nights in this resort with the goal of seeing the sights of Ilocos.

The location is good since it is roughly in the middle of all the major tourist areas of Ilocos such as Vigan and Paoay. We saw all the sights we wanted without having to travel that far in between spots.

The resort is a beach front property and the sand was somewhat fine. However, the beach was dirty. So we just stayed at the pool area.

The food served is basic Filipino food. Nothing spectacular except for the local longganisa.

The wifi, although free, can only be found in public areas. At the time of our stay, the router in the dining area was out of order, so we could only get access in the lobby.

The room we got was a deluxe king which had a king-sized bed. It was spacious, but cleanliness was bad as we saw three cockroaches in three separate areas.

I didn't get to sleep well due to the foam mattress.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

When we arrived at the resort, we looked forward to a relaxing stay because the people seemed friendly and hospitable, our private casa was spacious, and there was a private pool at the back. However, to our dismay, the water of the pool was hazy. We immediately reported this to the front desk but were assured that we might just be seeing the effect of the chemical treatment. We were told to wait for 2 hours for the water to clear out. Come morning, there was no improvement. We asked the front desk to ask the pool attendant to clean it ASAP. We didn't leave the casa for 2 reasons: (1) to avoid hearing the excuse of the pool attendant that he wasn't able to clean the pool because our casa was locked, and (2) to assure the safety of our belongings in case they'll use a key to open our casa. While I was inside the restroom, I was outraged to hear male voices around the pool area. I instantly went out and, without hiding my disgust, asked these men what their business was and how they were able to gain access into our pool without going through the living room. They said they were there to clean the pool and that they walked through a side entrance. The private casa we rented had an open side entrance to the backyard pool?! This place was unsafe and we were treated unprofessionally not just by these pool attendants who arrived on the afternoon of our 2nd day, by the way. We also had to wait long before our casa was made available, we never got to use the vault inside the casa due to a petty, unreasonable excuse, and so on and so forth. You can just imagine how horrified we were upon hearing the news a month after about this waiter who allegedly sexually abused a 15 y/o female Norwegian at this same resort.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Joy G
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My parents tooks us here for a 3 day vacation and all we can say is this place is DIVINE. So quiet and peaceful. Staffs are nice and welcoming. My 8 y/o daughter enjoyed their Infinity pool and me & my husband enjoyed relaxing in their cabanas. its really worth our trip.

Room Tip: fyi. rooms have no fridge
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Currimao
Java Hotel
#12 of 12 in Laoag
Northview Hotel
Northview Hotel
#4 of 12 in Laoag

Been to Playa Tropical Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!