I went here with my parents and my boyfriend on a last minute booking. Thankfully they had an available room which was priced around Php 3,000 for 4 people.
The place is in Currimao, Ilocos which is in between Vigan and Laoag. It's 90 minutes from Vigan and 30-45 mins away from Batac (Where the Marcos Mausoleum is) and 45-60 mins away from Laoag (Malacanan of the North, Paoay Lake, San Dunes etc.)
The place is really picturesque and you could tell that the whole resort's design and decor was meticulously planned out. The place is Balinese inspired and at the center of the compound it has huts floating over a pond with tilapia, a nice gazebo, and a big infinity pool with a sub-section for kids. There are a number of villas that can house big groups, a regular and a deluxe room. They have a bar/restaurant, billiards, ping pong and foozball table. They have show bands every night if i'm not mistaken.
May i just say (--I believe this deserves a separate paragraph) they have a SPECTACULAR sunset view right above the infinity pool. Imagine a horizon with shades of vibrant orange, pink, purple--definitely a sight to see!
The rooms are good, they have comfortable mattresses and soft pillows. There's a cabinet for items, a dresser, TV and air condition. Restroom has hot & cold shower. Rooms were super clean, but the view outside our window was concrete.
Service and food was a let-down. Wait staff were lax and a bit rude at times. When I asked for water during our breakfast, I caught the staff copying my accent and laughing about it. Complimentary breakfast was shoddy. We had breakfast late and the kitchen ran out of the other options for breakfast so we had to do with their corned beef (the cheap canned local ones). Their juice is powdered, like the uber sweet 10 peso satchets you can buy in a sari sari store.
Also, the beach isn't very good. It's black sand and is public, and it's a bit annoying to have an audience when you're in a 2-piece bikini trying to sunbathe or space out in the water. Plus they close the door to the beach at 6 PM! =(
Last Verdict: Above average rating, but has room for improvement. (Resort is fairly new, I hear). Good for an overnight stay, as average food and lack of privacy in the beach will leave you bored.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Tropical Resort Hotel is located at Currimao, Ilocos Norte, Philippines. It is aesthetically inspired by the intricate designs from Bali and infused with our Ilocano hospitality. Your stay would be one of warm service, tranquility and fond memories. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Travel Book Philippines, Inc. so you can book your Playa Tropical Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Tropical Hotel Ilocos Norte
- Playa Tropical Resort Hotel Currimao, Ilocos Norte Province