“Chic hotel, affordable, picturesque”

Playa Tropical Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Currimao
Manila
“Chic hotel, affordable, picturesque”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I went here with my parents and my boyfriend on a last minute booking. Thankfully they had an available room which was priced around Php 3,000 for 4 people.

The place is in Currimao, Ilocos which is in between Vigan and Laoag. It's 90 minutes from Vigan and 30-45 mins away from Batac (Where the Marcos Mausoleum is) and 45-60 mins away from Laoag (Malacanan of the North, Paoay Lake, San Dunes etc.)

The place is really picturesque and you could tell that the whole resort's design and decor was meticulously planned out. The place is Balinese inspired and at the center of the compound it has huts floating over a pond with tilapia, a nice gazebo, and a big infinity pool with a sub-section for kids. There are a number of villas that can house big groups, a regular and a deluxe room. They have a bar/restaurant, billiards, ping pong and foozball table. They have show bands every night if i'm not mistaken.

May i just say (--I believe this deserves a separate paragraph) they have a SPECTACULAR sunset view right above the infinity pool. Imagine a horizon with shades of vibrant orange, pink, purple--definitely a sight to see!

The rooms are good, they have comfortable mattresses and soft pillows. There's a cabinet for items, a dresser, TV and air condition. Restroom has hot & cold shower. Rooms were super clean, but the view outside our window was concrete.

Service and food was a let-down. Wait staff were lax and a bit rude at times. When I asked for water during our breakfast, I caught the staff copying my accent and laughing about it. Complimentary breakfast was shoddy. We had breakfast late and the kitchen ran out of the other options for breakfast so we had to do with their corned beef (the cheap canned local ones). Their juice is powdered, like the uber sweet 10 peso satchets you can buy in a sari sari store.

Also, the beach isn't very good. It's black sand and is public, and it's a bit annoying to have an audience when you're in a 2-piece bikini trying to sunbathe or space out in the water. Plus they close the door to the beach at 6 PM! =(

Last Verdict: Above average rating, but has room for improvement. (Resort is fairly new, I hear). Good for an overnight stay, as average food and lack of privacy in the beach will leave you bored.

2 Thank AdaTheExplorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed here on our last night in Ilocos and it was a delightful find. We walked in and asked if they have vacancies and the staff at the reception graciously offered for us to check the rooms first.

We booked 2 rooms with a connecting door. Each are presented differently but still has the Balinese touch in keeping with the resorts overall ambience. I did not get a good night's rest though as fireworks were abound especially close to midnight signalling that it's almost Christmas (we stayed there on Christmas Eve). I was not sure if it was coming from within the resort or from the nearby residential areas.

Room rates include breakfast. Once can have a choice between the complementary rice and Longganisa, Beef Tapa or Daing na Bangus). They also serve omelets (prepared according to your specifications, with musroom, cheese, potato, etc.) and pancakes.

Food quality was average and restaurant staff was a bit slow in serving our food.

My kids enjoyed the pool. Didn't get to use their other amenities as we only stayed overnight.

Overall, we're satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Ask reception staff if you could view the room first before checking in.
1 Thank PasyalNamin
Manila
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Compared to Hannah's in Blue Lagoon, Pagudpod, this was heaven! However, in itself, it was quite average. Average food. Average room. Average service. And it was okay, since we paid for less than P4000 a night, and that already included breakfast. Billards, ping pong are free. Their extra bed was also affordable at P600 and that included breakfast already. There was a beach at the back of the resort. It has black fine sand, not bad, safe for children. I just didn't like the goats walking around. Therefore, if you love beach, then this resort has that, but just don't expect a real clean one since it is not exclusively for Playa Tropical's guest.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed for 3 days at the Playa Tropical and had an nice relaxing time. Don’t expect anything exciting or special ☺ There is not much to do. This place is all about taking a time out, relaxing next to or in the very nice infinity pool, reading and eating and drinking ☺ When we booked our room we chose the room with a kingsize bed and loved sleeping in it. It was really comfortable, a little soft and not “asian-hard”. The rooms are in the main building so when you book a room it’s not in those little houses.

The staff works hard and is nice. Sometimes a bit odd but all with good intentions. A tip is very welcome in this place. We loved eating in the floating huts.

The beach in front of the resort is not clean but authentic and very nice to take a walk on or swim in so don't be hesitant to walk out the gate :-)

Areas for improvement.

They didn’t clean our room in the three days we stayed there. We had to go and ask for a new roll of toiletpaper and new shampoo and we never got a new towel. The room has a closet where you can hang your clothes but no hangers ☺

When we booked our room they stated that we would get three massages for free. At the end it appeared that those massages were not per person but just three in total. A misinterpration on our side but they never mentioned anywhere as well so we were a bit bummed out but the massages were really good.

In october 2011 there were busy building a new area next to the pool and near the lobby so there were construction noises but not they didn’t really annoy us, but if you don’t like that maybe you should check out if they have finished already ☺

Overall a relaxing weekend but I won’t do it again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sterrekind
Metro Manila
Reviewed October 21, 2011

For those who didn't get the title: ILOCOS NORTE LOVE!

I don't usually do reviews during my stay in hotels but this is the second leg of our Ilocos adventure and I have to let you know where I am.

I am in Playa Tropical Resort. In their quaint floating hut with acoustic music playing in the background. I can see the ocean from where I am seated. I have access to wifi and the sun is setting. THE SUN IS SETTING AND IT IS BREATH TAKING.

Honestly, sunsets never really amazed me because I could see a sun set where ever I am, in the city, on a bus, where ever. But what I see now is the sun slowly dipping into the sea and the orange, red, blue, gold colors painted into the horizon. This is beauty.

There. The sun set and now let me get into detail about this one of a kind hotel.

Like I mentioned, this is the second part of our Ilocos Tour. And definitely made our long drive north worth the trip.

Let me give you a list of 5 things we really appreciated:

1) Welcome towel. This simple gesture of having someone hand us a fresh cold towel upon walking in the lobby already won me over.

2) Free massage. I was surprised when the Front Officer, Arlene gave us a coupon for a free massage, turns out that it is part of their complimentary services along with breakfast and wifi access. Me and the Mrs enjoyed a couple massage on our first night and had a well rested sleep.

3) Floating huts. In the middle of the resort, there are floating huts where we just lounged the whole day. I was impressed when I lay down to take a nap the waiter came over and handed me a throw pillow.

4) Infinity pool. Pretty much the reason why we booked here was because my wife liked the infinity pool. And so did I! It was overlooking the ocean and was good to go for a couple of laps.

5) Fish n Chips. Naturally, my favorite dish. They had it. I loved it. Done.

Areas for improvement

Like every hotel I stay in I always find something to rant about.

1) Bathroom was low class. Hopefully they would renovate their bathroom to complement the beauty of the resort.

2) Slow food. Food service took a while but I really let this one slip since I enjoyed the food. Price was average.

3) Construction. There was some construction going on near the lobby and by the infinity pool. Hammers and all that noise was distracting but not enough to ruin our vacation.

Sounds good? Yes it surely does and the cherry on top of the cake is the manager. He came over just to ask how we were holding up. We talked for a good ten minutes about our trip and he apologized for the construction. No problem, your place is gorgeous. We gave him two thumbs up for having such a beautiful place. He thanked us and that actually merited us a small discount on our food charges. Well taken.

In conclusion, Ilocos Norte has got potential in becoming a destination for Filipino travellers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juanki_Lemonn
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed October 7, 2011

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACE EVER!!! thanks to all of you guys @ Playa!it was such a great vacation!=)))))

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Candon City, Philippines
Reviewed September 29, 2011

A place like no other. The service was so accommodating, The rooms were remarkable, so relaxing. The pool was so nice. And the food i really like it. We will be back soon for sure =)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Currimao
Rivermount Hotel and Resort
#12 of 12 in Laoag
Laoag Renzo Hotel
Laoag Renzo Hotel
#2 of 12 in Laoag

Been to Playa Tropical Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!