“A review of 2 halves but would still recommend a stay...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Kaha
Te Kaha Beach Resort
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A review of 2 halves but would still recommend a stay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

You couldn't fault the location of this hotel...the rooms are beyond well equipped, there was a washing machine and a tumble drier in the bathroom but nowhere in the room to either hang (unless you include the rail with two placcy hangers) or store clothes at all and there was a top of the range oven and enough kit to cook a Christmas dinner but not really the room to entice you to stay for too long to make the most of it.

The thing that seems to be lacking throughout is focus...people clearly have roles (receptionist, cook, bar person waiter) but haven't really been trained in them. Some little examples...I went for a snoop on arrival in to the yet to open bar, a young lad was there setting up - he could barely look me in the eye, not even a "Hello", I supposed him to be a sort of behind the scenes person but later in the evening it was clear he worked behind the bar and as people came to pay he seemed so uncomfortable having to make small talk to groups of older people saying how much they had enjoyed dinner (more on this later). When I asked at reception if I could use the pool and spa she said she wasn't sure if the pool guy had okay'd it - I thought that as a "Spa" resort they might want to have both open, a little later I saw some chaps cleaning the pool, so they did get on it, but by that time the moment had passed. My cousin, spent his night wondering what the unusual smell was in his room - the morning revealed a 2 week old steak dinner in the microwave, complete with cutlery etc...when he carried the evidence down to reception he was told, "Hhhm, that's interesting", an apology you ask...Nope! And yet I'm still not recommending you avoid this place - I would actually happily go again...It just needs to get a few more things right, better management and team work would make all the difference.

6 of us went down for dinner - there was ostensibly the option of bar meals (cheaper but a good menu) and dining room (more expensive and not much detail on the menu) and we opted for the bar option but couldn't take it as the seats in the bar area are a) few and far between or bar stools round tiny tables. What this seemed faintly like was that tourists where being shepherded to the more expensive option while locals where provided for in the bar, which doesn't sit easy...but I'm still not telling you to avoid this place because...THE FOOD WE HAD WAS EXCEPTIONAL - that chef new all about flavours, and cooking fish to perfection - my goodness it was so well executed that it was some of the best food I have tasted on my travels (mine was the pumpkin and prawn risotto). The thing is someone just has to take the helm, sort out the other things: no one came to ask us how the food was, no one came to ask us for more drinks, no one offered us a dessert menu, the decor was at best corporate at worst faintly depressing (chrome, white, navy), and as we went up to the bar (closing at 9.30, bar stools upturned on the bar a member of staff I'd guess kitchen staff was f'ing and blinding at the top of her voice about some injustice. These are not the ways to maximise your income, encourage repeat visitors and become a destination restaurant not just the only option for people passing through.

But still I say to you - visit this place, there are more pluses than minuses, its certainly quirky, the location is fantastic, the food sensational. And if you are the management - please stay at and dine in your own establishment and the things that will make this a five star experience will become very clear to you...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Carole W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Rotorua, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Recently stayed at the Te Kaha Beach Resort, awesome facilities and customer service.

Enjoyed our stay so much, we are already planning a return trip during the Festive season.

We travelled with my elderly Mum and teenagers, neither of them interrupted our stay as their

needs were easily catered too at the Resort. The Food was also very nice, Well done to you all.

Room Tip: We had a balcony view over the sea, absolutely superb view to wake too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kahuariki H
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Unfortunately I can't give a review of Te Kaha beach resort as I never got the chance to stay here. I made an initial enquiry about availability in January 2011 with a view to staying in November. Unfortunately I never received a reply to my enquiry so maybe they didn't want my money. That was OK by me as we ended up staying at he oceanside apartments where we received a very friendly welcome & excellent service. Te Kaha's loss was ours & Oceanside's gain.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank matthew_graham23
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

The views from our deluxe studio apartment, were absolutely breathtaking, so much so, that we slept with the blinds up all night. We requested a room on the top level, so it was very private, plus the view was twice as good. The bed was so comfortable, with lovely clean linen and the bathroom facilities were fabulous. The kitchen was awesome, with an oven, hobbs, microwave, dishwasher and in the bathroom there was a washing machine and drier. There is a restaurant, bar and conference room on site, and the staff are very friendly. We would not hesitate to stay here again and we recommend Te Kaha Beach Resort to all.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kayno
Rotorua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had found out that this place has a new owner ... and wow! what a difference to people skills has this made whanau. my last stay here was absolutely horrible ... from the staff to management. thanx UNCLE for the top hospitality this time around. Will be back sometime soon. But UNCLE ... can you please get the spa pool going pleaseeeeeeee. Mauriora, Kim Watson-Tanga

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KaiTePuariki
Whakatane, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Our stay was just brilliant! Fantastic, well-set up rooms (even though we weren't there for a long stay, I was well impressed with the fact that they had a full sized fridge and freezer, an oven and hobs, microwave, dishwasher and washing machine and dryer in the rooms - much better than the so-called self contained apartments you see that have a dinky little bar fridge and the cooking facilities are a microwave only. Te Kaha Beach resort has cut no corners either - all appliances were quality brands) with an even more fantastic view out of every one of them. Super hospitality - staff were so friendly and accommodating without being overbearing. The food was amazing - I highly recommend the prawn skewers as a starter. Our only wish was that the spa pool had been filled and turned on - but to be honest, it is only a tiny complaint as every other aspect of out stay was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stacey L
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here on a driving trip around the East Cape. The building is lovely. Well maintained, lovely rooms with fully equipped kitchens (inc oven, hob, fridge/freezer, dishwasher). However we felt it was let down by the service/management. The receptionist was amateur at best and our experience in the restaurant was farcicle. Do not rely on the kitchen being open.... We were told at 7.30pm that "Chef had gone home".
I would generally reccommend this hotel as it's well appointed and has good facilities. However do not expect good service and take your own food to cook in your room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bryony E

Been to Te Kaha Beach Resort? Share your experiences!