“Most relaxing place I have been to!”
Review of Avicennia Island - CLOSED

Avicennia Island
More attraction details
Owner description: We specialise in guided kayaking excursions for small groups through the pristine mangrove forests of Funzi Bay in the south coast of Kenya. The low capacity of vistors is intentional to ensure personalised attention from our expert guides, and low environmental footprint. Our excursions also include a visit to the stunning beaches of the Funzi Sandbar, and a cultural tour of the fishing village on Funzi Island. Our seafood bar-b-cue lunch is served at the charming wooden cottage on Avicennia Island, nestled between the beach and rainforest. On request we organise inshore sport fishing safaris and birdwatching (and crocodile) tours to the Ramisi River. On weekends, we host overnight camping groups, where all local attractions are included, i.e. fishing, kayaking, river, village tour and sandbar.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This place is unbelievable value for money! Shakil and his crew really provide you with an amazing carefree experience in a tropical paradise - perfect for a 3 day getaway! The island itself is just what you imagine a private island to look like. White beach surrounded by mangroves, with a traditionally roofed hut with an upper deck with really comfortable lounge furniture, perfect for reading and relaxing. The place also has very nice bathrooms with great attention to detail (notice the sinks made of giant shells!) I loved the fact that we were staying in tents, because it allows you to fall asleep to the sound of the sea. They are spacious and have beds in them as well. The food is great and with a little luck you will catch some fresh fish for lunch. For me the Kayaking was a nice add-on to an already great experience. Shakil has a PhD in marine biology and paddling through the mangrove forests with him is not only extremely peaceful but also very informative so it really takes your mind off other things. A highlight of the trip was definitely swimming off a small sand-bar, which you will share with a handful of guests of a local 5 star resort. On the last morning Shakil took us for an early morning water safari on a river to see some crocodiles and birdlife and you really couldn't ask for a better guide on such a trip or a better host generally. In sum, can't wait to go back!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We spent two nights and three days with Shakil and his lovely team on Avicennia Island. It was an absolute joy. Great food, stunning scenery and and an incredibly relaxing environment. Kayaking through the mangrove at sunset was a definite highlight, as was swimming at the sandbar and fishing for a red snapper lunch. Thanks so much for such an amazing experience!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Avicennia island is the PERFECT private island getaway at a GREAT PRICE - I can't believe we had this place to ourselves for 3 days and I would DEFINITELY go back next time I'm in Africa! Need to thank my friend for pointing us to this HIDDEN GEM.

Shakil and his team are amazing hosts, paying attention to every tiny detail to make sure we are comfortable, and made us feel right at home. The tents are super comfortable, with beds inside and we loved the deck - perfect for afternoon naps and having our meals. Had a lot of fun kayaking, fishing, bird watching, swimming and just relaxing. Oh, and the food was absolutely DELICIOUS. We also learnt a lot about mangroves & ecology around the area as Shakil has a PhD in marine biology!

I would highly recommend this place - though to be honest, I'd rather keep this place to myself ;) But I think Shakil and his team deserve a glowing review. Avicennia Island is a very SPECIAL place - I miss it so much already - hope I can come back soon!!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We visited in October 2012, and it was a wonderful experience. The place is so beautiful, and Shack is a wonderful host. The tents are luxurious and the food is very good given what they are able to cook on.

We swam with dolphins, kayaked through mangroves, snorkelled in be crystal clear water, and had star light trips to sand-bars!

Amazing. definitely go!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived on Saturday morning after a night stay in Mombasa, and was immediately struck by the beauty of the place. Calm and peaceful, nestled in the midst of the mangroves that populate the area, there is a lot to do and see at Avicennia Island. We were warmly welcomed by the staff, who made us feel at ease at all times during our stay. After we deposited our belongings, we headed straight to the sandbar, and came across some dolphins on the way, so we jumped in to swim with them for a while. A great experience! After relaxing in the warm waters of the sand bar, we headed back to the island for an excellent seafood lunch. Once digested, we headed for a couple of hours of kayaking through the mangrove forests. High tide allowed us to navigate through the now low-lying branches. Back in time for a short swim and then dinner. Finally, at midnight, we headed to the sandbar again, where we swam, relaxed and drank tea, all under a clear moon-lit night sky. Hope to visit again soon!