“Monk and Tigers”

Tiger Temple ( Wat Pa luang Ta Bua)
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Monk and Tigers”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

A monk sat on a platform meditating and a tiger resting in front of him though by a chain pinned to the ground. A cub playfully toying something to keep his boredom at bay. There were some more of them on chains. You can caress them put their head on your lap. Wonderful. Excitement and awe was written large on the visitors' face and they were enjoying it. We liked the place .

• Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Smelly and a bit too touristy”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Not sure about whether he tigers are drugged but super touristy and not what we thought. Smelly and dirty and the poor bears in cages look unkept and bored and their water play area was green!

The foreign staff, an Aussie,English and American girl talked about their sex lives infront of everyone looking at the cubs and didn't really give one hoot about educating anyone and the Guys at tiger canyon were too busy acting like KING DICKS to make you feel comfortable to ask questions.

Cool photos but I feel sorry for the tigers and would never go again.

1 Thank Lolaloo32
Auckland Region, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't miss this!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive about visiting the Tiger Temple due to some negative reviews and one particular recent news article regarding a tourist who was bitten (BTW, screw the sensationalist news reporting on this incident - one bite is not a mauling, but I'm sure it was still a painful experience). I was even more hesitant to visit considering I wanted to take my 8 and 6 year old sons. However, with tigers being an endangered species and with the chances of us seeing one in the wild being very unlikely I thought this would be a fantastic opportunity.

It was an aweinspiring experience!!

A word of caution - Tigers ARE natural predators and humans are in their food chain. Even though these tigers are hand reared and have a lot of human interaction you should still be very wary and accept that there still MAY be some risk associated with visiting the temple!

Having said that, there are very stringent rules that visitors should follow for their own safety and all the staff are very careful to ensure that the rules are followed and are very watchful. So please respect the rules to minimise the risk.

Myth-busting:
1. The tigers are NOT sedated - some seemed more alert than others but remember that tigers are a nocturnal predator and these ones seemed very content to lounge around in the shade and roll in the dirt.
2. They are NOT mistreated - all looked healthy and well fed. Waving a plastic bag around on a stick to encourage playing is not mistreatment. It is really not much different than having your family moggy chase a piece of string - they are just bigger and were having great fun.
3. The 600 thai baht entry fee is NOT expensive for the average westerner; especially considering that you can touch them (under very controlled conditions) and have photo's taken with them.

All-in-all I would rather see these majestic creatures in the wild - who wouldn't? But consider that there are only 200 Indochinese Tigers left in the wild of Thailand, none in China, it's been 2 years since one has been seen in Cambodia, and no one is really sure about Myanmar, I wasn't going to miss this opportunity and was glad I didn't and the that my children could also be there.

The ONLY negative from my point of view is that if you are into souvenirs then you may be a little disappointed in what is available. Otherwise absolutely brilliant!

1 Thank Marcus R
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Just went 2 days ago and would not recommend it at all .. The place is so run down .. The only thing i enjoyed was playing with cubs and i had to pay 1000 baht to do so, and that was ontop of what i already paid ... The big tigers are drugged but i was still one of those stupid tourist that got photos with them , regret even doing that ... The staff especially the european staff were really rude and the park itself was the worst ive ever seen ... I feel so sad that i paid to do this ...

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Joleewebb
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum planned a 3 day stop over in Bangkok on the way to Australia and as big animal lovers decided we wanted to visit the tiger temple while we were there.. We booked a day tour where we got to visit the tiger temple and ride elephants in one day and we are so thankful we did! I read through some of the reviews before going and was quite worried about how the animals might have been treated ect but the moment we got there all those doubts were completely gone! The monks were sat playing with the tigers and you got to have loads of photos with the tigers while the staff took you round and made sure you get lots of photos! Being able to be that close with a fully grown tiger and stroking them is an experience neither of us will ever forget - and there were many English speaking staff that answered all of our questions and were very friendly! The tigers ARE NOT DRUGGED! Each tiger only spends about an hour having photos then they get swapped around.. Some of them were pacing round and one of them rolled around onto my mum when she was having her picture taken, it wanted to play but she jumped back just in time! There was also a show you could watch where the monks play with the tigers in the water and theyre so well looked after! Also it's only 1000THB for the extras and that's only £20 so it's definately worth doing!! We are definately planning to go back and spending longer there next time as we went quite late after the elephants and they were closing! Amazing day :)

Visited September 2013