“Bad service and dirty”
Review of Baan Khao Sok

Baan Khao Sok
Ranked #1 of 7 Phanom B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked this hotel a while ago and had paid for it in advance however when we got there, they said we had no booking at all. After much delay and staff insisting we had made the mistake, they finally found our booking...

When we entered the room, there were bad smells coming from the bed...I don't know if the sheets were even washed..We told the staff but they said it was normal and didn't change it during our stay. At night we were bitten alive by mosquitoes as there are no nets or screens.

The staff were also just there to sell you their tours...That was exactly why we tried to get away from the touristy areas! Very unimpressed by this..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank steve s
baankhaosok, Owner at Baan Khao Sok, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Steve,

Warm greetings from the Baan Khao Sok Resort.

Thank you very much for your spending your time reviewing us on Trip Ad visor.

Please be informed that our rooms are cleaned daily by our housekeeping staff, however as you must have been informed if you REALLY STAYED with us,we ask all our guests to drop their keys at the reception before they leave their room in the morning,in order for the maids to do their job.

My husband and I check all rooms and that everyday......

We always ask our guests if they are interested to do excursions on a daily basis for organisation reasons, however we DO NOT push any guest to buy tours from us.

Understand that some excursions require a lot of preparation.

Now finally I've been through all my bookings several time and could not find any booking under the name of Mr. Steve........

We believe this review was written by our competition to put us down.

We just won the 2013 certificate of excellence from Trip Ad visor and hope that all the people who will read this answer, will understand that service is a priority to us and that we really care about our guests.

Warm regards,

Phon and Lek

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in one of the garden bungalows for two nights. The location is good, it's only a 15 minute walk to reach the park entrance. Shops and restaurants are nearby. The reception and restaurant is surrounded by a beautiful garden and enjoys a great river view. We saw monkeys in the morning playing on the opposite side while we were eating breakfast.
The owners are very kind people. The resort is managed by a lovely family. They are always happy to support in any issue. We booked the lake day tour after they explained carefully the schedule and finally it was an absolutely great experience! The owners even supported in organizing a special birthday surprise for my girlfriend, outstanding service!
In the evening we enjoyed delicious food and drinks while listening to the nature. It was so nice to see the family sitting nearby and playing with their baby, chatting or watching tv.
The bungalow was in good condition, very spacious and clean. We liked to hear the sounds of nature throughout the night. We almost felt like sleeping amidst the jungle. Of course, the bungalow isn't fully sealed and it's likely to spot some lizards, especially in the bathroom. Finally that's what you should expect if you want to sleep close to nature and don't want to spend too much! It was definitely a superb bargain to stay in such a nice bungalow for only 500THB! Food, drinks and activities were also very cheap compared to other resorts. We highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I had a hard time finding a place that I liked in Khao Sok. I usually look for something nice between 400-700 baht, but in Khao Sok there only seemed to be dingy low end bungalows and high end bungalows or treehouses. After looking at about 6 resorts, I finally settled on Baan Khaosok, mostly because I was sick of walking around in the heat! :)

I got the low end bungalow option and haggled a multi night rate of 400 baht. The bungalow was the standard type found in this area with thin bamboo walls and no bug screens except a mosquito net over the bed. However it did have semi hot water in the bathroom which most places don't have. Honestly, I wasn't very into the bungalow, but I mosty just slept there so it was ok. There were other accommodations on the grounds which looked much nicer (from the outside at least).

The location is a bit away from the center of "town" and down a long driveway (about a 15-20 minute walk from the "town center"). However, the location is nice in the fact that it is very quiet and natural with just jungle sounds in the night.

The staff were amazing in my experience. The woman who runs it (Pohn?) was super friendly, spoke great english, and really went out of her way to take care of me.

I booked a 1 day lake tour through them and it was GREAT. I checked around town for rate comparisons and they matched the standard rate that I had found (1500 baht). They also gave me a headlamp and dry bag (nobody else on my tour had been given either of these so I felt extra hooked up). The tour itself was amazing and I recommend it.

The restaurant is good and has fair prices (50-120 baht per dish which is pretty standard in Khao Sok).

So while I can't really recommend the accommodation itself (at least the low end bungalow that I stayed in), I do recommed everything else about this place. :)

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Shawn_Storm
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We felt very comfortable here because they are so friendly. My boyfriend ended up having to go to the Clinic because he got a lung infection in Bangkok and Lek (owner) drove us there and waited untill we were finished and did not want any money for this! Neither did the Clinic, it was all free! We couldn't believe it, we still gave a tip, but were very surprised. The food here was great and at the prices it was perfect for us because we could not go too far for food due to my boyfriend's sickness. For anyone that likes to feel homely while they travel, this is definately the place to be!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

If you want a tree house experience, this is the place to go. Me and 3 friends stayed here for one night and would certainly return. The tree-houses are brilliant, accompanied by comfortable beds, secure locking, and ideal air conditioning. The hotel is family-run and everyone is extremely helpful and polite, and were more than happy to give us lifts for free to wherever we needed! As we were only here for one day we spent some of it lounging by the lake and also enjoying the services of the restaurant before going on a night safari which the hotel arranged for us. The hotel is extremely small and quiet - we were some of the only people there - so it really gives you the full jungle/ isolated experience. I highly recommend this hotel, the only negative was that we had hundreds of ants crawling up the tree trunk in the bathroom, but it's a tree-house, what do you expect?!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We loved this place, very quiet surroundings but close to the park and other restaurants. The owners were very friendly and helpful. After a long day of travel we were very happy with the good shower at our treehouse. The breakfast pancakes were amazing. We would definitely go back here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

If I could give 4.5 stars, I would. As mentioned, a lovely, family-owned and run business. We stayed in a garden room, and it was basic, but for 500 baht, lovely. We had a fan, "hot" (aka not freezing cold) shower, and electricity 24-7. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful- they booked an overnight lake tour with very short notice for us, as well as our minibus transfer without any reminders. When we asked whether we needed a dry bag for the lake tour, the owner suggested it would be a good idea and then let us borrow his own without a second thought. Overall, a wonderful experience. A few reasons for my 4 rather than 5 stars: multiple insects of varying species in the room (really can't be helped- its the jungle), and the food was perfectly fine, but not amazing. As said, if I could give 4.5 stars, I would. Would definitely return if possible. Also, bring your insect repellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phanom
Morning Mist Resort
#5 of 21 in Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok Palmview
Khao Sok Palmview
#1 of 12 in Phanom

Been to Baan Khao Sok? Share your experiences!