“Elephants who love to work” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mae Wang Elephant Camp
Chiang Mai, Thailand
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Elephants who love to work”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Elephants are in excellent condition, looked after beautifully by Mahoots. They are bathed frequently in the river and have plenty of food. They walk slowly through the jungle, taking the youngest, 2 months, with them.

Visited May 2013

• Thai first
Salt Lake City
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Family Loved the Elephant Ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family loved riding the elephants bare back. I was scared to death at first but ended up relaxing. As others mentioned, I felt bad at first for the elephants but by the end of our ride, I felt they were treated fairly well. They are fed well at the end of the ride and we were able to ride them in the river to bathe where they really seemed to enjoy themselves. Compared to some of the other elephants camps we saw in Thailand, we feel like this one was one of the better ones. Our tour guide told us there are actually two in Mae Wang so I hope I'm writing the review for the right one. He took us to the one he feels treats the elephants better. We started with a bamboo raft ride and ended with an elephant ride. We rode bareback by ourselves. Warning: Elephants are dirty. Mine threw dirt on my quite a bit and blew it's trunk at me at least 8 times. I was covered with dirt from head to toe. At the end, we rode them into the river which was quite a ride. They rolled around a bit and we were literally hanging onto the rope to stay upright. A little bit scary but my family loved it. So in the end, I was a muddy mess but it was worth it and definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

Visited March 2013
Kamuela,Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The best of Jungle Book!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

The most exciting experience of my round the world journey... and Alexa is the most inspiring hostess...the staff is a warm and happy family of the best Thai cooks and elephant 'mahoots' ...I felt like I was in the best scenes of Jungle Book... topped by the natural beauty of the river, the trees, the large pool filled with running spring water!!!... I took my first river rafting trip and I am not a good swimmer...I could do it everday... so relaxing, yet invigorating... so many exciting new friends i made during my stay there that I lengthened my stay to a week...I type this sitting over the river in the Chai Lai Orchid Cafe watching the bamboo rafts go by in between the elephants bathing...such a grand romantic adventure for singles, couples, or the whole family...highly recommended!!! I can't wait to return with all my family and friends!!!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank ALongoKamuela_Hawaii
Montreal, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Tourist guilt”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I could not enjoy my experience of riding the elephant. Kept feeling sorry for the elephant, that had a lot of bloody bruises from receiving cuts behind his ears from a little hook that the mahouts use to control them. I understand they must have a way of somehow controlling this huge animals, but I could not get over it... that he may be getting hurt just so that tourists can ride on his back.
The experience of just feeding and touch the elephant was much better, but I still had the tourist guilt feeling seeing them in chains etc. I would not do this again and therefore I cannot recommend it!

Visited December 2012
7 Thank beap_22
Byron Bay, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect Elephant Interaction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

There are few things better than riding an elephant in the jungle in the rain... And in the morning a 3 year old baby Elephant, name Choti ("Lucky" in Thai) road me up the mountain to wake up his mother while serenading me with the HARMONICA!!! Most amazing experience ever!!! BEST MAHOUTS AROUNd!!!

Visited November 2012