“Average hotel in a beautiful setting”

Koh Mook Charlie Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kantang
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We only stayed two nights at this surprisingly mediocre hotel. When you see the beauty of the surrounding landscape, the fine sandy beach which is perfect for swimming at high and low tide, the spectacular sunsets... you are somehow surprised to find this place lacking in atmosphere.
Don't get me wrong: Staff is very professional, the bungalows are spacoius and clean, everything works well. But when you get up in the morning and stand in line with your voucher ready to give it to the waitress, this place just feels much more like a tired old masstourism hotel in Spain than what you think it could and should be. Breakfast buffet is big but not very good quality, food during the rest of the day is also average at best, huge menu list, which makes you wonder how many of the ingredients can possibly be fresh.
It's proximity to the emerald cave though is a real plus as you can go there on your own with a kayak or on a short trip with a longtail boat, we even saw a couple of dolphins in that area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank CuriousNik

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were at Charlie Beach Resort for 7 days. It was a good experience - the morning buffet was alright, and had what we needed. The service was ok. We saw the same waiters working morning and night - long days.

The service were average - but great location and nice rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kph87
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is located right on the beach of Koh Mook! The hotel is great considering location and the rooms. We had a great stay in the room and the hotel pool is really nice. However the staff needs to really shape up. Very uninterested of the customers and not so friendly especially in the restaurant where it feels like you are a pain more than a paying customer...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TwoAbroadNet
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I went to the restaurant. There were a lot of workers and nobody helped me to get a menu, even when I try to make eyecontact they don't know that I need some help, so I stood up and get one myself. I ordered lemonjuice and I got Sprite. Are you kidding me? The girl that served me did not look happy and was a bit agressive to me because I could not understand her terrible English. I ordered a pizza without cheese but with tuna and they charged me extra money for the tuna, why did they not discount with the cheese that i did not take? They also have flyers everywhere that there is free Wifi connection. Well, I almost threw my mobile phone away. Terrible wifi connection. All the workers here are not costumer friendly exept the guy at the poolbar that is always laughing no matter what. The other people treat me like dirt. Goodmorning, thank you, you're welcome, have a good meal, have a nice stay, have a nice day is not in their vocabulairy. The only thing they do is giving you a dirty face. The room i had with a fan was okay. The location was good, because i arrived with the tigerline just in front of the hotel beach. I would never go back to this hotel again, just because of the terrible workers.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Zoubeir87
Reviewed October 17, 2013

1. We looked it up online and it seemed fine. We took at motorcycle there.

2. We checked into a 2 bed room with A/C for 1,400 baht without breakfast. After we checked into the room, we tried to turn the A/C on and it didn't work. Then they told us they only turn the A/C on from 6pm to 7am. They should have told us that when we checked in.

3. We asked them to book us a boat (800 baht in total) in 90 minutes to check out Emerald cave. The girl said "ok."

4. We got lunch. Pad Thai for 150 baht or something like that. Quality was below average. Definitley had better versions of the dish at food stands in BKK for 40 baht.

5. We went to the office to get the boat and the girl said, "no boat." For several minutes we asked her to call other boat guys to pick us up but she was lazy and didn't feel like it.

6. So we said: "Fine, give us our money back, and we'll go somewhere else." We thought she'd book us the boat, but instead she gave us the money back.

7. So we took a motorcycle to Sivalai resort and checked in there. We booked a boat in 10 minutes and were motoring to the gave 45 minutes later.

The resort was fine. 1400 baht for a 2 bed room seemed fine. I'd say 1,000 baht would be exceptional value. Because the people who work here were too lazy to book our boat trip I wouldn't recommend it.

Sivalai by the way was nicer but it was priced at 3,000 baht which was also really poor value. I wrote a review of that one too.

Overall, avoid Koh Mook in the low season.

Room Tip: Avoid Koh Mook in the low season.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ElliottGarlock
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We choose Charlie's for its location, we choose Koh Mook Island as a quiet less touristy place.
On our first day at Charlie's I noticed several dogs running around the beach I asked one of the staff where all these dogs were from and if they were a problem He told me they were wild dogs from the hills and were used to people and not to worry they were not a problem.
On the 2nd day late in the afternoon my partner and I decided to take a walk along the beautiful beach before heading off for dinner suddenly from nowhere a pack of dogs appeared and came charging towards me, there were 6 - 8 their hackles up, my partner was a little way off about knee deep in the water. I fortunately did not turn my back to the pack who were just a few meters from me but run backwards into the water, as the area we were in was rocky I tripped over a large rugged rock missing the one behind by an inch, my partner came rushing to help as he tried to lift me the dogs gave charge again, somehow my partner managed to grab me and drag me out to deeper water thankfully the dogs did not follow they just run up and down the beach barking viciously at us. It was then that I noticed my big toe; the nail was off hanging by a thread flapping as each wave hit us. We managed to move in the water towards our hotel but couldn’t get out as the dogs were barking and running frantically up and down the beach. Then as suddenly as they had appeared they were gone. Now directly in front of our hotel we made a run for it. My foot was covered in blood and sand, I ran into the dining area which faces the beach only to realise all the staff were there yet none of them had tried to help us. I asked for water to clean the wound they stood around laughing and discussing me. It was only when my partner lost his temper did they start jumping around. I asked why they had not warned us the dogs were dangerous and the same man I had asked earlier answered ‘I didn’t know you were going to walk along the beach’. The beach is in a cove no more than 300m in length, who isn’t going to go for a stroll.
On arriving at the local clinic the doctor told me she constantly treats dog bites from the Charlie beach dogs, she also told me I was very lucky if I had stood still as many people do I would have been bitten heading into the water saved me.
Later I found out that the dogs are not wild but in fact belong to the neighbour during the day they wonder around alone but when the staff leave the building site in the eve they form a pack. Charlie’s staffs are well aware of this but made no effort to warn us. They claim the dogs are wild so they cannot be held responsible. I know I cannot blame Charlie for what happened but I do feel that as a guest in their hotel they have a responsibility to me to inform me of any danger etc… Needless to say we left the next morning.
The strange thing is the hotel would not give me a receipt for the hotel taxi I took to the hospital but instead tried to BILL me for the transfer I had arranged with the local travel agent.
I do not think this is a safe environment for anyone, especially someone with children. It is frightening to think what could have happened I guess I am luckily to get away with simply losing a toe nail. Bear in mind the local clinic does not have the facilities to deal with a serious mauling. None of these dogs are vaccinated either.
As for the hotel, from the start they were not the friendliest bunch, we had a problem the first night with the electricity in our room we had paid extra for a room with a fridge but it didn’t work. On arrival we realised there were only four of us at the hotel yet they wanted to put us in a bungalow furthest from the beach. The hotel was empty and I was not asking for an upgrade either same row just closer to the beach. I gathered they wanted some more money. By 8pm all staffs leave and the only person on site was a security guard who was fast asleep. This could be such an amazing place if managed properly and no dogs, it certainly does have the best beach in town.
Seriously think twice before going here there are so many wonderful places in Thailand why take the chance!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rhonda p
Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you can find somewhere better, please don't waste your time or money here. They make up the prices on a daily basis. They originally wanted to charge us 1,600 Baht for a bungalow, we were told it had aircon. The aircon is swtiched off in low season. The price eventually went down to 1,300 without breakfast and then to 1,200. I subsequently found out another couple were paying 1,000 per night.

The rooms were clean, but the shower didn't work and the door handle fell off in my hand. We had to change rooms 3 times. The owner or manager wasn't interested in listening to my complaints and told me to go somewhere else if I didn't like it. I wish I'd listened. The staff are just kids and when were having our dinner in the restaurant, they all went off to play volleyball on the beach, only coming back to serve food.

Why you'd want to go here, I don't know. Nothing to see. The interior of the island is dirty and unkempt. Go to Koh Lipe instead.

Room Tip: Negotiate your price first.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fjhigginsiv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kantang
1 mi away
#1 of 8 in Ko Ngai
De Tara Beach Resort
De Tara Beach Resort
#4 of 16 in Ko Muk

Been to Koh Mook Charlie Beach Resort? Share your experiences!