“Excellent stay”
Review of Bamurru Plains

and 1 more site!
Bamurru Plains
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The lodge is beautiful, the decoration is modern yet colonial, the outdoor is very trendy,the service is excellent. At night the main area could benefit from a lot more light ( solar panel should be doubled), the rooms could be a tad larger, but they are very functional and clean., the bedding is very good. The food is good but the cook is unable to cope with a full house. On our first night there the lodge was full and the service was sloppy, they insist of having everybody sitting around the table and by the time the last people were served, your meal was cold.... since the food was not good it was not important...., the rest of our stay however was far better, the cook redeems himself.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank EmmanuelleB

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

If you like riding around flood plains on airboats, ogling prolific bird life, seeking out secretive crocodiles, floating noiselessly on still billabongs, sleeping in luxury tented cabins and enjoying gourmet meals, then 'Wild Bush Luxury' at Bamurru Plains is for you. An extraordinary place with fantastic staff, we enjoyed 3 of the most unique days of our lives here. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank cassandnige
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here during our honeymoon it was an awesome experience. We were there on the last week of the season, there was a lot of bird life waiting for the wet season and the flood plains to expand. We enjoyed daily trips on the boat and a few opportunities to explore remote areas with a helicopter. I recommend staying here it was a great experience in such a remote and beautiful place.

The staff at the hotel made us feel very welcome, we enjoyed evenings outside eating great food by the fire and brilliant tours conducted by Lauren and Steve.

The highlight of our trip was having a picnic on a remote beach which we accessed by helicopter. We saw crocodiles catching the last sunrays as we departed, the scenery was beautiful.

The rooms were very comfortable including a large bathroom and living space.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SineadR79
Reviewed October 28, 2012

There are holidays. And then, there are experiences. Bamurru Plains is both.

We've been travelling now for 5 weeks in Aus. We've stayed at a variety of places, seen a lot of things. Its at Bamurru Plains that I had the moment in the entire trip when I thought - "This. Is. It".

The service is understated yet excellent. The accommodation was high end yet beautifully in touch with its surroundings. The food was, undoubtedly, the best we had on tour to date.

Going on the plains on the airboat though was the closest thing I have felt to utter joy. I would have wept with the sheer beauty of it had I not been with my whole family (I would never have lived it down). The birds taking off in their droves will remain with me as one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my life.

Just go. Hang the expense. Its worth every penny.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank 245lou
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Let me start by saying that we enjoyed ourselves. The staff and the guides are warm and friendly. The food was delicious. Since this is a place where venues are rated in an honest forum of experiences, please indulge me, and take this as my opinion. You will note how others rave, so take my review with a grain of salt.

The elephant in the room: Staying here is very, very costly – even if you take into account its relative remoteness. At this price point, the guides should be trained to know and relay advanced information on the ecosystem and the flora and fauna. This is a working buffalo station where, historically, the land has been used to raise non-native buffaloes for their meat, but the Asian water buffaloes degrade the natural environment, and the natural environment could be the biggest draw in a Top End luxury eco-resort such as this. While there are several helicopter flight excursions that are available, there should be some options that are not on the airboats for those who are active and express interest. They might consider doing short talks or slideshows around the fireplace before dinner; this area and its people have many interesting stories to tell. The bungalow units are nice especially the bathrooms), but not as nice as other places at this price point.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
24  Thank travels2places
Reviewed September 23, 2012

As an Aussie who has heard about the Top End for years I thought I knew what to expect but I got so much more than I ever dreamed. Wall to wall birds, wallabies, buffalo and more with the most knowledgeable guides on 4WD , airboats and helicopters topped off with cuisine to rival the top hatted restaurants in the big cities. Our every wish was catered for with friendly, warm and unobtrusive service and smiles from all. We had plenty sf signtseeing as well as time by (and in) the pool and for try first time in years we had no phone or Internet to distract us - absolute bliss!!!
This is worth every penny and is undisputed outback in delightful style - you cannot miss it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chris f
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Australia, during which we spent three nights at Bamurru. The three nights were the highlight. The setting is beautiful. filled with wallabies, water buffalo, and birds of every description. Our 9 and 11 year olds enjoyed checking off their sitings of birds and wildlife in the checklists located in every room. They were at over 40 kinds of birds, two types of snake (non-venomous --- although there are venomous snakes that we never saw in the area), the wallabies and water buffalo, and crocodiles. Each morning there is an airboat safari with very knowledgeage guide, each late afternoon a driving safari, and in between relaxation at the lodge, by the pool or in the rooms. The rooms are safari style, solid roofs, tent fronts, solid back with a very nice bathroom. My wife and I took one, and the three kids had an adjacent one. They are very private. Meals are top-notch, restaurant quality and three course. We spent a lot of money on other meals in Australia of inferior quality. Drinks are included, and the wine is very good. The sundowner drinks on safari, looking at the sunset, always hit the spot.
For my wife and I, three nights were just right. For our 16 year old, two were probably enough.
Service is truly excellent.
Maybe the only downside is that when you are in safari-style housing, you hear a lot and, given how replete the area is with birds and animals, the night noise is quite audible, and the sun rises earlier. But we adjusted, and that became part of the experience.
Bamurru is by no means inexpensive, but it was real value for money and we loved it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Calgaryfamilyof5

Been to Bamurru Plains? Share your experiences!