“Squirrels, stoats and snakes”

British Wildlife Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Lingfield
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Harlow, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Squirrels, stoats and snakes”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The British Wildlife Centre at Lingfied is one of my most favourite places - where else can you go to see examples of practically all the creatures native to Britain? Here, you can watch badgers, foxes, several types of deer, water voles, polecats, wildcats, pine martens, otters and hedgehogs all in natural enclosures. Best of all, in my opinion, is the red squirrel enclosure. In this beautifully planned habitat visitors can stroll around a wooden walkway, invariably being investigated by a red squirrel or two or three - they climb over you, peer into your camera lens or play chase up your legs!
The otters are beautiful, so playful and they come really close to the fence of their enclosure, so the photographic opportunity is great. In fact, most of the animals are easy to photograph in natural surroundings. Until I saw pine martens for the first time I didn't realise that the fur on their chests was a delicate shade of yellow - and I didn't know that they were addicted to strawberry jam!
The stoats are quick moving, but with patience you should be able to get a photo, and if you go on a warm day you will probably see the adders and grass snakes basking in the sun.
Regular keeper talks are given throughout the day, when even the shyer animals come out, and in the afternoons some of the owls are flown in the dell - a wonderful sight.
This is a very friendly place to visit - the staff are very knowledgeable about their charges. I love it, and would go every week if I could. Before you go, though, do check their website for opening times as often the centre is only open at weeeknds.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank susan b

London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“nice and refreshing”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

the park is a great day out , me and my family found it a good educational day out and a camera paradise as you can see many animals you rarely see in Britain. the cafe is nice as you are in a barn. the only thing is it is very small,apart from that i highly recommend a visit to the British Wildlife Centre.

1 Thank 422Michaelm422
Porthcawl
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Fantastic Photography Experience!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I visited in September with a friend on the British Wildlife Centre photography day, there is only a limited amount of people allowed on these days, the park is closed to other visitors, after a safety talk we were taken to the Red Squirrel enclosure! I did find this to be too many people in there at the same time, later we were split into two groups so that was fantastic, as stated in other reviews we were close up and personal with animals that you do not normally get close too, Otters,Foxes,Hedgehogs,Barn Owl,Tawny Owl, Frogs, Grass Snakes,Adders, Badgers, and the delightful Harvest Mice, there is also a big enclosed area with Red Deer that you can get very close to them presenting excellent photographic opportunities,, there are many many more animals here that time did not allow us to visit, if you love animals and photography! Then a visit to one of their photographic days will not disappoint you, the staff are wonderful, the animals well cared for and the park is stunning, just remember to bring a packed lunch as only drinks available included in the cost, I look forward to returning next year.

London
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“British Wildlife Centre”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a wonderful place to visit. It has british wildlife in abundance. Plenty of red squirrels to see and they even run by you close too you. The staff are friendly and the cafe is very clean and has a good selection of snacks. Talks every half hour about the animals they look after. All-in-all one of the best places of its kind I have ever been to.

Market Bosworth, United Kingdom
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“Brilliant Photography day!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I joined one of their photography days and it was a fantastic day! There were a couple of people with more compact cameras ranging up to some very nice set ups.

The centre was not open to the public and there were only about 15 of us there. Our keeper/guide for the day met us at 10am and we started our 'tour'. We went into the red squirrels to start with and he was feeding them and trying to attract them into the best places for photos so they were really close but as with all wild animals their own ideas of how long they would stay and where they would go so very natural and did not at all feel 'forced' for them. That theme lasted the whole day.

We also were taken into the fox, otter and wild cat enclosures what a great experience, hedgehogs, harvest mice, tawny and barn owls were all one by one shared with us.

For the more feisty inhabitants badgers, polecats etc we stayed outside of the enclosures but food was placed in areas to encourage them out into more open areas.

Before we knew it 4.30 had come and our day was over.

Loved every second of our day and would go back in a heartbeat.

2 Thank Emma_N68