“Fillet Steaks what a rip off !!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #18 of 25 Restaurants in Lingfield
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
London, United Kingdom
“Fillet Steaks what a rip off !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

All pubs should know how to cook a steak. I had to send mine back twice. i then orderd a steak hache and they still had no idea how to cook that either. The next 24 hours i spend on the loo ! Funny that.

I have used this pub for years and years and heard the rumours of bad food, but always given it a second chance. Never again ! THERE ARE FAR BETTER PLACES TO GO IN THE SURROUNDING AREA.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank POPPY W
Hareandhounds2013, Manager at Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Poppy W, Thank you for taking the time to review the hare and hounds. As you can imagine we are deeply disappointed with your review & we must say we feel it is unjust. Your review fails to mention your request for your steak to be cooked medium – well, of which I do not believe to be the ideal cooking time for this ingredient – having said that we do endeavor to meet our customers’ needs, so therefore cooked your steak as requested. To say you were unwell after our food is offensive & we have never once had a complaint from any of our customers surrounding such comments, Beef is also a very safe meat and can be eaten raw (tartar). Again it is with real shame you have only chosen to review us once you feel you have had an experience that did not meet your expectations, as you have stated you have been visiting us for years and years & not taken the time to review us when you have enjoyed your experience with us. We take cooking very seriously & our team work extremely hard to produce stunning, seasonal dishes for our customers. In sourcing local suppliers who produce top quality and sustainable ingredients we bring freshness & flavour to every dish. Therefore we do not feel your review is a true reflection of our pub. We do hope we have the chance to welcome you again despite your review.
Kindest Eric Payet.

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Hare and Hounds, great food and atmosphere!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is our favourite countryside pub from far away. We came Saturday night for a party of 6 and we were well looked after by professional staff. The standard of foods was excellent for a pub in the countryside and the choice is very wide, bit for everybody . You can only find this standard in London . A special mention to the desert eggs faberge. Really amazing!!!!!! . The bill was fair , not the cheapest but expected for this kind of standard . Will definitely recommend it again and again! Try it that the only thing I can say.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hareandhounds2013, Manager at Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Zabou17327 thank you for taking the time to review the hare and hounds so kindly. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Kindest Eric Payet
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I've been waxing lyrical about this pub since my first visit. Food comparable to Heston's Hinds Head, friendly waitresses, log fire and quirky decor. The puddings sound and look stunning and some of the starters (artichoke soup) are superb. Alas.... There's a but. Tonight I politely inquired from the bartender if the sticky toffee fondant should have a black burnt base, more inquisitively and mentioned a few times that it wasn't a problem but could he at least ask the chef. The reply was very strange, almost defiant that burnt is how it is and even other customers have asked that question. Fine. My bill arrives with a 50% reduction off the dessert but no explanation or chat about the said burnt base. Fine. Still a good pub but then the real kicker. An extra glass of wine charged, a total of 4 in the space of 1.5 hrs. I mentioned to the bartender the error to get the reply, 'i've seen that much before'. This all despite the waitress confirming that only 3 glasses were ordered to the bartender. Dumfounded, not by the error but the attitude. Apologies for the long winded rant but pretty disgusting attitude to an otherwise lovely establishment. I'll go back but reading other reviews I get the feeling some laurels are being rested on, if only by the bartender.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Darrell P thank you taking the time to review the hare and hounds. Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction with your recent visit. It is again a shame that you state you have had great experiences with us yet only choose to review once your expectations have not been met. Please note we are 100% not resting on out laurels - quite the opposite. I do hope that despite your review we have the chance to welcome you again at the hare and hounds. Kindest Eric Payet
Caterham, United Kingdom
“poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Sunday lunch- ordered roast lamb and roast beef £16 each- lamb had to be sent back as was all fat, was replaced quickly. Beef was ordered medium rare/pink, came medium well and was so tough as to be almost inedible- I struggled through half of it. potatoes hard, yorkshire soft. When I told the waitress she returned to explain that chef says this cut of beef has good flavour can't expect it to be very tender???? I have never heard such insulting rubbish- presumably if it had been cooked as requested it would have been completely tough and inedible. For £16 this was a disgrace, no apology or discount on bill offered. Such a shame as previous meals have been very good, and it's a lovely pub with great ambience and atmosphere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Hareandhounds2013, Manager at Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Leonard666 thank you for taking the time to post about your recent visit to the hare and hounds. Firstly I must say we are very disappointed with your review. As I am sure you are aware shoulder of lamb does come with some fat this is just the way the cut is, so I am sorry you found this dissatisfactory. I do however remember cooking and plating your beef which you state was medium well, I can confirm by restaurant standards this was sent medium rare. Rump of beef is not the tender part of beef such as fillet, sirloin or ribeye, but it is one of the most flavoursome - which I believe our waitress tried to explain to you. It is with great shame that you have chosen only to review once your experience was not to your standard and not when as you state you have previously had very good meals with us. I do hope that despite your recent visit you do give us another opportunity to show that we truly an excellent pub offering only the very best quality local produce. Kindest Eric Payet.
lingfield
“A FRENCHMAN COMES TO LINGFIELD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Food truly excellent from the steak hache, risottos ,classic Tartiflette, roast scallops,honey glazed ham hock to the Croque monsieur or even the fish and triple cooked chips. There are many more choices that it is difficult to name one! As to the puddings the Faberge Egg is to die for? Modern English cooking with a French twist .Eric, the chef,and host works so hard to please and his wife Tracey is a joy to see around .A very great pub.