“A wonderful evening had by all”

Guy's Thatched Hamlet
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Well, after having read so many poor reviews, it is fair to say we were very hesitant about staying. We were attending a friends birthday in The Pavilion [which was excellent - food was a BBQ with own chef, perfectly cooked], and a few of us booked to stay the evening. We had a family room, for myself, husdband, 7 and 12 year old sons. The room was refurbished and lovely, very clean and comfortable. Fair better than some big chain hotels. Lots of attention to detail. Other friends had rooms, including the deluxe and standard - again all wonderful. Will we be coming back, absolutely!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I won a night at Guys at a charity event we attended. I'm not sure what the other reviewers were thinking but take this place at face value. Quaint and Oldy Worldy it's a Thatched old english tavern with lodging! We thought it was just brill. We stayed in room 61 and ate at Owd Nells pub which again was excellent. The pub was packed out when we strolled in at 8 ish and we couldn't find a table anywhere. We asked at the bar about a table through the droves of drinkers having a great time and the chap located us a table no problem. Yes it was wobbly and yes the pub was packed but it was just awesome, exactly what we wanted. More over, the place doesn't pretend to be anything its not. We also visited Barton Grange and had a stroll down the canal.
The ONE and only bad point. The blumming fan, extractor thing drove us crazy all night long. Then my fella figured out how to turn it off as we were making our way to breakfast, which we laughed at alot! Please go and enjoy this place for exactly what it is and what its not! (NB not a fusty, pretentious snot fest hotel, go elsewhere). Thanks to all at Guy's Thatched tavern who made our stay fab.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I have been a customer at guys for maney years since my teens, i am now bringing my children here and i have to say what a great easter weekend i have just had!! The egg hunt was great and my kids loved the easter egg at the end, the famers market was good to, they never stop trying to keep things interesting and fun, can not wait for the next event... the staff make the place and my kids love it

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stopped here at Owd Nell's Tavern for an evening meal ,myself hubby and mum. Mum ordered lasagne it was just a bowl of sauce and soggy lasagne, hubby orderded steak pud which was not the best of steak to say the least and no taste with it, I had the cheese and onion pie which was a tiny portion ,it had been microwaved as the pastry was so tough around the edges you couldn't cut it, served with the most disgusting combination of tasteless cold carrot and turnip ,peas, and the most unappetising salad I have ever seen. The price for each meal was about avaerage for what was on the menu but the quality was appalling.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2010

like an american motel. rooms good, probably be nice on a summers night, but it was feb and it was pouring down. food needs looking at. breakfast not bad. waitress was good craic. paid and left. doubtful if be back. Stayed here because Longlands was full

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We have stayed at Guy's several times over the last three years and it has always been a pleasurable experience. We have stayed in the family room, deluxe room and deluxe superior room and the rooms have always been clean, well prepared etc. However this time we stayed in Room 27, which had been beautifully refurbished , but it was so dark as it had no windows so it was a little like being in a cave. I have to say by the third day I was ready to come home.
Breakfast was great and very filling and served by Agnes, who is absolutely great. She always brings a smile to the morning.
Overall I would still recommend Guy's to friends but tell them to avoid Room 27!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My wife and I have visited guys at least twice a year for the past eleven years usually to tie in my birthday and our annaversary and i can honestly say i have never been dissapointed, especially with the champagne weekend! The staff are friendly and helpfull, the food delecious and certainly not from a microwave (the pizzas are made in a corner for all to see, with the pizza chef tossing his dough high into the air to indeed make the start of a pizza or with a flick of the wrist to cover an unexpecting waiter.) I can reccomend the surf and turf and the buffet breakfast where you may visit as many times as you wish is as good as a breakfast can be. The rooms are large and comfortable and i agree were in need of a makeover, which i belive has now been done but even without this they have always been clean and tidy. Guys is set in nice surroundings and has its own pleasing atmosphere, especially on a nice day by the canal. I have reccomended guys to friends and collegues and they are on thier second and third stays, which i believe speaks volumes. Its my birthday next week and can`t wait to have the champagne weekend and to stay in the new rooms which I`m sure will be like the rest of guys a pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bilsborrow
Barton Grange Hotel
#9 of 15 in Preston
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!