“relaxing romantic break”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
blackpool
“relaxing romantic break”
Reviewed June 20, 2009

After reading the previous reviews i find it hard to believe we stayed at the same place! I visited guys and stayed in a a deluxe executive suite (room 23).It was lovely and clean and very modern with a nice relaxing theme to the wet room. The only fault i found was the annoying air freshener that went off automatically!

The food in guys restaurant was of excellent standard and left me feeling rather full and certainly did not taste like it was fresh from a microwave !!! as stated by others.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for and that is probably why the standard rooms are a little dated. I would however definately recommend guys and the deluxe rooms to anybody

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We always used to stay here when I was a kid, mainly 'cos we were visiting my Grandad nearby and his house was a bit um, grim. It was pretty new then, and the rooms seemed quite plush. However, returning last weekend, it was clear that nothing has changed. Probably not even the bedlinen....the place needs SERIOUS modernising. Even effective cleaning would do. And it's a shame, because the 'thatched hamlet' itself is a nice place for a meal (even if the menu is the same as it was 15 years ago) and a drink, and a stroll along the canal. And I guess some of the rooms HAVE been done up, as I see other reviewers have mentioned spa baths etc. Ach, I can't really describe the ropiness - have a look at my photos and weep!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Leeds
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I have been going to Guys for years, I'm now 30 and have regularly stayed or had meals in Guys. I do enjoy staying there though basic it is always clean, the staff always helpful and the surroundings are beautiful especially in the summer. I stayed the weekend just gone on the TGIF deal on the Friday night, which in all fairness is a pretty good one. We ate in the Eating Establishment on the Friday night and to be honest I couldn't wait for my meal to end! I had hot potted bay shrimps to start, now bearing in mind the last time I stayed at Guys, (about a year ago) I could of ate three starters of the shrimps, they were gorgeous, this time however they came in a cast iron pot, which was hot, with a piece of half toasted bread which had sucked up the juices and gone soggy, with the salad inside the cast iron pot!! TASTELESS is the only way I could describe them. I'd just like to add aswell that from placing my order to them being on the table they were there in 4 mins flat (Microwave????) I don't like to complain as I worked in a restaurant when I was younger and know what happens when you do, so I sat waiting for my carbonara........
My boyfriend who is a meat and two veg kind of guy, tried some of my carbonara and said he'd had better from Tesco Basics, I was just shocked that a restaurant I had loved for years has fallen foul of the microwave mentality, I think someone needs to send Gordon Ramsey in quick. My boyfriend however did enjoy his meal (Guy's pot)

Other than that I still love staying at Guys, it's good value always have a comfy bed and is fantastic setting for a cool beer on a summers day, just think maybe they need a new chef! Although breakfast is still lovely and very much gut busting :)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Mansfield Notts
Reviewed May 18, 2009

My wife and I spent two nights at Guys, I foolishly travelled by coach instead of car, if I had had the car I wouldn't have stayed. The mattress should be sold to the Highway Authority for use as a sleeping policeman. Furnishings were old and tired. We have thrown better away. The plumbing was awful, we stayed in room 9, the toilet seat was broken, a new shower tray and curtain wouldn't have gone amiss. The window was filthy on the outside, noise travels through all the walls, and the night manager was still threatening to throw people out if they didn't keep the noise down at 2 am. They should have been long gone. I could go on but I have sent a full run down to the management. 2 weeks previous my wife and I stayed at the Citi Inn Birmingham for £59.00 a night including breakfast, that's 4 star. Guys really does need to pull it's finger out and shape up.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bilsborrow hotels

CUMBRIA
Reviewed January 28, 2009

we have stayed at Guys each year for the past 10 years and we do love most of what Guys is about.
we always have an executive room and prefer the ones in the 'old' part of the village. Yes the rooms are a liitle dated but they are clean, the bed was comfy and the spa bath was great although the bathroom could have done with a refurb.
We like the canal and the bonus was the fact that it was frozen over and the countryside looked so pretty all tinged with frost.
The downside of our stay was the food, we only got one starter when we ordered two, we had a wait for the main course and when it came it was cold and we were not amused when they took it away to warm up in the microwave! That said the staff couldn't apologise enough and gave us a free glass of wine and a free sweet.
The breakfast in the morning redeemed the reputation and everything was freshly cooked with good service.
What makes Guys is the atmosphere and the friendly staff, the only exception was when my husband tried to book me flowers and was met with an unhelpful response and subseqently they didn't arrive with no explanation given.
So I have rated our stay as average because of the glitches but we would stay again just not order fish!

• Liked — the freindly atmosphere
  • Disliked — the food in the evening
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
wigan
Reviewed October 27, 2008

ive been to guys on six occasions in the last twelve monts and i have been very happy with the whole setup from the reception to the restraunt.guys is the best place i have visited for a very long time the food is excellent value for money the rooms have always been clean and tidy the staf ar the most polite people i have ever met.keep up the sterling work.c u soon

• Liked — everything could not be faulted
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank stewy1
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We stayed for one night at Guy's and were not impressed. We paid £59 for a double room which I appreciate is not a great amount but we didn't expect such a hard bed with springs sticking through the mattress into your back. Had it not have been for the amount of alcohol drunk at a wedding that day I don't know if we could have made it to sleep.
Other than the bed, the room was OK, a little dated and shabby but pretty clean. The bedlinen and towels were fine. The ensuite was a small cupboard containing a shower and toilet. The sink was on a stand in the main bedroom which was a little unusual. Noise travels though and we were awaken a couple of times in the night by what sounded like other people running taps.
The location by the canal was pretty quiet but there was some traffic noise from the nearby road. Maybe we just didn't get it but the whole set-up seemed a bit odd - there were old fashioned shops, cobbles, tavern and restaurant. It felt like we were on a film set. That said the place seemed pretty busy so it must be to some people's taste.
The staff were OK although we weren't asked upon check-out how our stay was. Maybe I expect too much!
I'm afraid we definately wouldn't go back to Guys.

• Liked — food in tavern was good and reasonable
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gem682
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bilsborrow
Premier Inn Preston North Hotel
Ferrari's Country House Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!