“Bit noisy, not as clean as it was, but still Okay”

and 1 more site!
Guy's Thatched Hamlet
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I must admit that I would have to agree with another comment here
I have been staying at Guys Hamlets for 20 years now and slowly over the years it has got bigger but not necessarily better. It has got harder for them to keep it as clean as it was and it has lost it's identity and is not as homely as it used to be. The main restaurant has gone down hill altho' the food is still pretty good, the bar food is not so hot (good) and the service in their is appalling. The beer is good mind.
We went for the weekend of the Oktoberfest and altho' Oktoberfest was pretty good (wasn't that keen on the supposedly authentic Bavarian band who got a bit too smutty!)
Still in very nice surroundings but can be very noisy at night especially people walking past on the wooden floors and not a bad place to stay at a reasonable rate £75 for a room with a jacuzzi.
I would eat elsewhere and with possibly the best Italian in the North west just down the road that would be my choice

Room Tip: Worth picking an executive room with the jacuzzi
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GarmischP

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Dont be fooled into thinking that the food here is as good as the scenery around this place.
Four of us went here for Sunday lunch, with drinks it cost almost £40.
We could have chosen to eat a a numerous amount of other places and regreted not doing just that. We were served a roast beef dinner each which contained the bare minimum of ingrediants on a sunday roast plate. The vegetables were simply peas and carrots which were not even fresh. The plate contained more peas and carrots than anything else. Alongside this was around 5-6 tiny rocks which were meant to be roast potatoes. So hard our knives couldn't cut through them and definatly not freshly made more like reheated from several days before. One and a half small slices of roast beef ( I feed my small dog more for a treat) covered by a inadequate amount of gravy with a single yorkshire pudding on the top as though placed on the plates to hide the poor contents underneath.
The meals were inadequate and of disgracefull standard.
I chose not to eat a desert but my husband brought me apple pie and custard without me knowing. When it was placed in front of me I could not believe my eyes and it really confirmed to me that the people who work in this place have no idea about quality of the food or its presentation. The miserly slice of apple pie was squashed into the plate like road kill and again not at all of any quality for the prices being charged.
Absolutly appalling on all levels, "quality,prices,presentation and manners".
I felt I really had to say something and so when the waiter asked if our meals were ok I stressed my opinion to him and the chef who would be in the kitchen.
No apology was offered from anyone.
Dont make the same misstake as us by being drawn to this place because of the pretty scenery you will be very dissapointed with what you receive on your plates for sunday lunch.
Go for a nice good quality carvery like we will next time where you have a multiple choise and the the food will be quality and fresh for what you pay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank theworldisaoyster
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We came here for our wedding night so thought it would be nice to visit again and the food is always great at Guys Court. Never again. From the moment we arrived it was like something out of Fawlty Towers. The main light didn't work and the mattress rolled inwards (and we could tell even before we laid on it) and we couldn't find a single plug anywhere. The paint was peeling and the bathroom looked like it was well over due for a re-fit. The pine furniture looked like it was from the 80's. So after calling the reception, the manageress called round and began looking for a plug until she found one behind a chair but had to unplug the storage heater. Problem solved? No, as we had no main light the mirror that did have light was right across the room so she decided to bring us an extension lead. Whilst she was gone we found that the toilet wasn't fixed to the floor with any screws and on her return she said we could move rooms but would have to return to this room the next night as the hotel was full or we could have our money back and leave. As this was a special occasion we didn't want to go home so she stated that she would get the light fixed that night and the toilet fixed in the morning but no apology. True to her word the light was fixed whilst we were out at dinner and she gave us a free breakfast the next day - even if the fire alarm did go off half way through! During the night people were arguing outside the room and the drey came at 7.30 waking us up. Then we were woken by the plumber to fix the loo - very relaxing! The second morning, having booked a late check out, we were woken by the maid asking us why we hadn't checked out. Upon being asked if we had enjoyed our stay by the receptionist and me listing the things wrong we still received no apology from anyone!

Room Tip: Avoid room 37 at all costs!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola P
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Was taken to Guys for a birthday treat on 8th January. Had the open plan jacuzzi room and was treated to champers and flowers! The bed was huge and so so comfy and the room was spotless....
Only complaint I can think of is that the yorkshire puddings could have possibly been aunt bessies !! and there wasn't enough gravy but the young lad that served us was most helpful and quick to remedy that, with a smile, even though they were extremely busy serving a coach party. HIghly recommend Guys for a treat.....

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank superstarnan
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stayed at guys court for one night in December 2011 with my girlfriend. The place is really nice; from the outside it looks very quirky and like an old fashioned village. The Italian restaurant is a must to eat there along with the pub is a must to go in for a drink as it has a nice cosy feel about it. The room itself was really nice and clean decorated to a high standard. The bathroom was exceptionally nice with a big jacuzzi and an open shower with nice tiling throughout the bathroom. There a decent size TV with all the free-view channels available. The bed is comfy and there is a good supply of tea and coffee available in the rooms. Now onto the negatives.. There seemed to be a problem with the jacuzzi as the water didn't seem to pump powerful at all. I believe the knob for turning the power of the jacuzzi up and down was stuck, which me and the Mrs weren't best pleased about. Another issue (which you may think is a little picky) was the dimmer light switch in the bathroom didn't work which was a bit of a dissapointment as you couldn't set the mood whilst in the bathroom which was a shame. Also there is no fridge in the rooms which i feel there should be a fridge to match the quality standard of the hotel. Apart from these issues our one night stay was enjoyable and nice and relaxing. I would recommend people staying here but only for a couple of nights maximum.

Room Tip: make sure the jacuzzi works properly if u get a room with a jacuzzi
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I am an avid fan of trip advisers reviews. We have stayed at guy's lodge many times and would highly recomend it. It has a unique atmosphere in the pub attached and makes you feel at home. Food in pub excellent - almost had everything on menu cannot fault it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2011

we went there for a little break last weekend,the place is lovely and would be even better in the summer,,the room was big and lovely and warm,,we had a great meal in the bar and it was very reasonable,drinks are a little expensive but that never stopped us getting a little tipsy,,we would highly recomend this place for a night or two,,go and try for yourself you will not be dissapointed,,,10/10 from us,,just remember this isnt a 5 star hotel,,if you want or expect 5 star please go elswhere,

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bilsborrow
Barton Grange Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!