“Brilliant!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
Chester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We had booked a family dinner here so my partner and I decided to stay the night. We had a great time, I had read reviews about the noise but our room was great and there was no noise at all. The bed was very comfortable and the whirlpool bath an added bonus! The evening meal was excellent and the breakfast offered everything you could wish for. Helpful friendly staff and a wonderful setting. We will return!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
liverpool, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night (31st May 2011) Paid 59 pounds for a room. Nice ambiance, good for a drink and a quiet stroll down the canal path. decent clean room/bathroom with the usual furnishings/toiletries/tea-making etc

What let the place down for me was the poor 'restaurant food'. terribly over-priced for what you got, and more like canteen food, I ordered fish with prawns. It was overcooked and totally bland, it came with a side order of overcooked veg and tasteless boiled potatoes. My partner had the langoustines with rice, again fairly bland. What a disappointment!

17 Pounds for a main with this level of quality is unacceptable, the restaurant needs to get its act together, or lower its prices.

I would stay again, but eat elsewhere

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stayed here in August 2010 for a joint birthday break.
Whilst the hotel complex appears to have everything - oldey/worldey charm, restaurant AND bar, riverside location, etc - it didn't live up to expectation.
The restaurant was fully booked so we had to eat in the bar and the less said about the food served the better. It was poor! Served within minutes of ordering - not a good sign! Overcooked and poor quality. We both left most of our meals. We complained to the waitress when she asked if everything was ok with our food. She didn't even say sorry, let alone inform her manager. The tables in the bar were dirty and littered with menus/napkins. The staff don't rush to clean/clear them and when they do, it's bare minimum. The only plus point is that they provide great Duck Bags of bread to feed the ducks and swans on the river, which is lovely for kids & adults alike. Breakfast in the restaurant next morning was nice, but we had to pay extra for this. It was minimal tho, just the very basic stuff, not a lot of it.
Our room on the other hand, was superb - and this hotel's saving grace. We had a very large bathroom and a large jacuzzi with TV built into the wall at the side of it. We absolutely loved this!! Definitely worth paying the extra for.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a Spa room!!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bilsborrow hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Guys Thatched Hamlet is pleasantly different.
It is like entering a small "old world" village, with a few shops, bars and restaurant. It is just North of Preston, near a town called Garstang.
It is just a brilliant place to stay, the rooms are huge and you have a choice of standard and executive, the prices are so cheap I chose the executive room. These are even nicer and slightly bigger, they have powerful whirlpool baths.
Although I was alone, I just had to try the whirlpool, it was very powerful and quite noisy. I stopped the pump straight away as sound travels through the thin walls easily. You can hear almost everything going on in the room next to you. Outside the rooms on the 1st floor is a very nice wooden walkway. This walkway is very noisy, I had a family next to me, and the kids made a terrible noise constantly running along the wooden boards.
By about 9pm the kids were in bed it really did quieten down.
The quality of the fixtures and fittings in the rooms are very high, and the beds are very good. The views out the windows are nice, mine was over the cricket field. Some are of the little village and some of the canal.
The restaurant fills up very fast, this is because it is brilliant. Run by Italians who really now how to cook food and serve it in a classy way. It is not thrown on the plate and chucked at you like we are used to, its prepared and served as only the Italians can ! Again the food is so very cheap making it terrific value.
Even considering the walls are thin, and it is a bit noisy, I will return here again. It was just great and so different.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank trigga1526
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

my friends daughter booked this place for her boyfriends birthday and then for her mothers birthday (within a few days of each other) so i booked it for my sister's birthday.
what a joy it was to stay at, we arrived early friday 27th may and was greeted with a warm welcoming smile at reception, check in was swift and painless, rooms easy to find and what a great room, clean and bright.
went to the bar and had a few drinks, before going to have a meal in the restaraunt there was only 6 of us in the group but along the way we met a man who had a small barge and became friends and he joined us at the table.
breakfast in the morning was as you would expect from this establishment, 5*.

Room Tip: book in advance and try for the friday feeling.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Isle of Man
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed for two nights with my sports club. The staff couldn't do enough for us and Ruth is an absolute diamond!

Had a great lunch on Friday, followed by a game of cricket on the on site pitch. A few beers and a nice pizza rounded the day off. Rooms were fair sized and sleep came easy. I never noticed any noise from any other rooms (my own roomie was a little snory but thats another story altogether!). Breakfast buffet was excellent, hot and plentiful. Tea or coffee, oj, fried bread, sausage, bacon, hash browns, toms, beans, mushrooms, awesome minature black puds and toast.

Saturday was something similar but the bar was a little livlier with some rugby players attending a dinner. Loads of good natured banter with them though.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Guys and will definitely be back

• Stayed May 2011
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

My partner booked a night at Guys as a birthday suprise and OMG what a suprise it was, certaily one I will never forget. We stayed in one of "PLUSH" rooms, far from plush and certainly not worth £85 a night. When we arrived and checked in my partner asked to confirm the time of the booking for the evening meal and they had us booked in an hour earlier than my partner had asked and sighed when we wanted it changing. We went for a drink which was good and the bar staff were very helpful. We went for the meal, ordered and our started was taken to another table and then waited for around 30mins for our main course. The food wasn't good enough for what they charged, I've had better meals at half the cost. We went back to the room and then the noise began and carried on till 4:30am. We did complain to the manager at around 1:30am and asked if we could be moved to another room. The manager did speak to the couple in the next room and there was silence for all of 30 seconds. We could hear everything the couple were doing and saying and I mean EVERTHYING. If we hadn't had a drink I would of left. Breakfast, well I wish I hadn't bothered, total waste of more money. In total we spent around £200 and my advice to others would be, go spend you hard earned money else where.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blackpool73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bilsborrow
Premier Inn Preston North Hotel
Ferrari's Country House Hotel
Crofter's Hotel
Crofter's Hotel
#2 of 2 in Garstang

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!