“OMG NEVER EVER AGAIN - AVOID IF YOU LIKE AT LEAST 1HRS SLEEP”

Guy's Thatched Hamlet
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bilsborrow
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“OMG NEVER EVER AGAIN - AVOID IF YOU LIKE AT LEAST 1HRS SLEEP”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My partner booked a night at Guys as a birthday suprise and OMG what a suprise it was, certaily one I will never forget. We stayed in one of "PLUSH" rooms, far from plush and certainly not worth £85 a night. When we arrived and checked in my partner asked to confirm the time of the booking for the evening meal and they had us booked in an hour earlier than my partner had asked and sighed when we wanted it changing. We went for a drink which was good and the bar staff were very helpful. We went for the meal, ordered and our started was taken to another table and then waited for around 30mins for our main course. The food wasn't good enough for what they charged, I've had better meals at half the cost. We went back to the room and then the noise began and carried on till 4:30am. We did complain to the manager at around 1:30am and asked if we could be moved to another room. The manager did speak to the couple in the next room and there was silence for all of 30 seconds. We could hear everything the couple were doing and saying and I mean EVERTHYING. If we hadn't had a drink I would of left. Breakfast, well I wish I hadn't bothered, total waste of more money. In total we spent around £200 and my advice to others would be, go spend you hard earned money else where.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blackpool73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I booked this hotel for a birthday suprise for my partners birthday,have been to guys many times before to eat and to stay!!! but this will be our last time to vist this place think i would have got more sleep on the fast lane of the m6 in rush hour!!! The walls are paper thin you can hear every switch been switched off,you dont have to have the volume on your tv just turn it on the same program as next door.I made a complaint at 1.30am at the noise of next door to the manger,he did come out to speak to the people next door to us but this continued until 4.30am if i had not had a drink i would have gone home.Next morning i checked out of the hotel was never asked how our stay was had to ask to make a complaint but the member staff didnt seem that bothered we emailed the next day with our over night problems but even that member staff could not cared.Guys have had our money not bothered about the level of service they offer.Think they should remember its the public who help pay there wages.

Room Tip: look for another hotel dont waste your money
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bilsborrow hotels

Cheshire
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We were attending a weekend course at Myerscough and decided to stay over and this seemed a great location. As we were staying on a Friday evening we took full advantage of their 'Friday Feeling' offer which was a fab price of £80 per night, including £20 off an evening meal in the restaurant with ½ a bottle of red or white wine and full english breakfast. Having read the mixed reviews I wasn't expecting too much especially from the accommodation but how wrong were we! I arrived before my husband and was shown directions to my room by a very helpful receptionist. We were allocated room 27 which must be in a new/refurbished area of the complex as it was like new, a spotless, modern room - bathroom was spacious and absolutely spotless. We booked into the eating establishment that evening and after a quick drink at the bar our table was ready. The food was excellent, the wine was good, service was excellent - we had a great evening. Next morning we were up early and first in for breakfast, our papers which we had ordered the evening before were waiting for us when we arrived and we were quickly shown to a table. The breakfast is self service, with plenty of choice, everything was fresh and good quality. Unfortunately, we didn't get chance to fully explore all that Guys had to offer but we will definitely return for a further investigation!! We would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thornton,Cleveleys NW UK
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We have eaten at Old nell's a few times and eaten at Guys once or twice in the past, but as a supprise my wife booked an overnight stay at The Thatched, and a meal.
Once we got to our room, the first thing my wife said was it looked a lot bigger on the internet page, we saw the bottle of champagne that she had pre-ordered, in a plastic bag with some ice, but mostly water, I thought it tasted disgusting, but she said it was drinkable.
The mattress was very , very hard, and it was the worst nights sleep we have had in quite a while.
The toilet didnt seem to have its own light switch, you had to turn the wet room light on, for the toilet light to come on, not very nice when your partner is trying to sleep.
The shower lead to the taps was loose so water was gushing out into the bath and onto the wall.Also the bath is very slippy.
The TV had very bad reception and made watching any tv almost impossible.
The heated towel rail turned on ,but didnt work.
We were very disappointed and went to see the manager before we left, she said we should have reported these faults the night before, but as we were only there for one night and had other things on our mind, we didnt bother.
Also sent an email from their website, but no reply.
The food was good, as usual, plenty of garlic,the dessert was not as expected, if you have eaten at Old Nells, you know you get large helpings, not so for the deserts at The Thatched, some of the waitress's didnt speak very good english,and didnt smile they said they were italian, but sounded polish ?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, Essex
Reviewed March 13, 2011

The room we stayed in was plush - gorgeous sofa, comfy king-sized bed and wet room and the location has great potential with a gorgeous canal where you can walk along the path for miles and really enjoy the countryside. However, these are really the only good points.
The bad points are as follows - the other guests look like they've come straight off the set of Shameless, the food is dreadful and thank god I had ear-plugs in so I managed to get some sleep as people were shouting, laughing and running past the rooms till the early hours.
That evening, when we turned up for dinner at the 'restaurant', it was obvious that the experience was not going to be a fun one. The place looks just as rough as the 'pub' there - grubby, patterned carpets but, thankfully, the menu was not the same ie. not burger and chips. The manager there is into fast food with a capital F it seems as you're not allowed even five minutes to relax and peruse the menu. He pounced on us within a minute of us sitting down so it was obvious we were not going to enjoy a relaxed, romantic meal for two but the purpose was to feed us and get us out as quickly as possible. I picked mussels for a starter (£7.50) with swordfish as a main (£14.50). The mussels were 'nice' although the sauce they were swimming in was far too salty. Then, onto the main where I was greeted with an overcooked slab of swordfish and an assortment of school dinner veg and new potatoes. I left the potatoes and veg and ate the swordfish, which was swimming in oil but edible. I did explain that I was disappointed with the meal (and the condition of the veg) to the manager at the end of our meal and all he could do was shrug his shoulders and admit that the veg had been cooked in the daytime because they are 'very busy' and that was that.
Suffice to say, don't waste your money unless you want to mix with the likes of Frank Gallagher and eat canteen food at hugely inflated prices.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ladymills
Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Just came back from a stay at Guy's Tatched Hamlet, where we stayed in the Executive Superior Room.
The room is spacious, clean and very nice. The bathroom has a large jacuzzi bath, a walk in shower and a waterproof TV with surround sound system. The bathroom could do with a bit of attention as it is a bit run down but that did not stop us from enjoying our time there very much!.....A little bit of adivce, do not get too carried away with the bubble bath in the jacuzzi as it is a nightmare to rinse off as we found out for ourselves.....;).....
Ample parking is provided free of charge. We had a few drinks at the Owd Nell's Tavern and a meal at the restaurant which we enjoyed very much.
The only bad point was having to wait what seems to have been a very long time to get a table at the restaurant, and one of the receptionist ( the older one) was not very friendly but apart from that we have had an amazing time and have already booked to return.....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Having stayed here on numerous occasions with my partner we decided to stop off just for lunch with my children. I ordered drinks then went into the toilets as soon as I opened the door the smell nearly stopped me going any further, I complained to the bar/restaurant manageress who appologised and said she would check them over. I was put off ordering food but the rest of the party were hungry so we reluctantly orderded.
When it arrived we found 2 hairs in seperate dishes so by that point we decided to leave, the waitress was informed of this and she dully told the manageress but at no point did she come up to us to offer and offer us any money back or mention the disgusting toilets!
As I have said I have been many times and given out countless recomendations but after our recent experience I will never go back which is a shame as this used to be a beautifull eating establishment

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bilsborrow
Premier Inn Preston North Hotel
#2 of 2 in Garstang
Ibis Preston North
Ibis Preston North
#8 of 15 in Preston

Been to Guy's Thatched Hamlet? Share your experiences!