“An intimate non over bearing atmosphere here, well worth a visit”
Review of Smiths

Smiths
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Uddingston
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An intimate non over bearing atmosphere here, well worth a visit”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

What I liked was the intimate non over bearing atmosphere of this restaurant, food was excellent, well served and portions just right.

Welcomed to our awaiting table with a small schnifter, always welcome on a cold night, not being overbearing we were allowed to take our seats and get comfortable before being asked for the 1st and last time (very good) - do you want a drink. Oh how I hate place with a passion that offer you more drinks than necessary..

Food was excellent, for me Cullen Skink (maybe a bit more cream), my lovely wife had the terrine that didn't disappoint, followed by blade of beef that melted on the knife for wifey and I had the beer batter cod and chips, both didn't disappoint and 2 clean plates, if I had had bread, the plate would have been mopped.

For deserts, well, there was an apple crumble and 1 cheese board, great night, not over expensive and excellent service, but why have a fixed prix menu and charge supplements, OK only £2.00, but why not add on 50p to the cost for all and it will even itself out.

Do I have any criticisms, well have a few more whiskies on offer, felt what you had didn't compliment the restaurant, perhaps a Laguvalin or an Old Pultney and for the ladies maybe a few cocktails, just a suggestion..
Good job well done, room for slight improvements, not many, thanks for a great night, will look forward to being a returning guest.

• Visited December 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I would say...... Very Good !”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

What I liked was the intimate non over bearing atmousphere of this resturant, food was excelent, well served and portions just right.

Welcomed to our awaiting tabke witha small schnifter, always welcome on a cold night, not being overbearing we were allowed to take our seats and get comfotable before being asked for the 1st and last time (very good) - do you want a drink. Oh how i hate place that offer you more drinks than necessary..

Food was excellent, for me Cullen Skink (maybe a bit more cream), my lovely wife had the terrine that didn't dissapoint, followed bt blade of beef that melted on the knife for wifey and I had the beer batter cod and chips, both didn't dissapoint and 2 clean plates.

1 apple crumble and 1 cheese board, great night, not over expensive and excellent service.

Do I have nay critisicms, well have a few more whiskys on offer, felt what you had didn't compliment the resturant, and maybe a few cocktails, just a suggestion..

• Visited December 2013
“Never let's us down”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Another lovely meal in smiths, this time a lunch. Great service, wonderful food. Can't wait to go back . The best apple crumble I've tasted in a long time!

1 Thank Limyaura
Glasgow
“Excellent all round”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I've eaten here a few times and never been disappointed.

We recently had a function for 40 here - their absolute maximum number - and it was faultless.

The food and service were great.

Can't recommend highly enough.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank pjjcm
Scotland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Oct 26 at 8:19 PM

Having read some of the many glowing reviews posted both here and elsewhere, we were looking forward to our night at Smith's, but ended up leaving unimpressed and still hungry!
Things started well when we went in and were given a complimentary glass of pink fizz when we were seated.
Unfortunately, after that the experience went downhill. We were given our menus and were slightly miffed to see how limited the choice was; only six main courses were on offer, one of which was a veggie option. There were no side orders on the menu.The wife settled for the Sirloin steak, overpriced in my opinion at twenty five pounds, but hey ho, and I chose duck, which I wouldn't normally order, but my options were kinda limited. Anyway, when we caught the waitress' eye to place the order we were told that she couldn't take the order until the big table in the corner had been served! Why on Earth not take the order anyway? To be fair, once the order was taken, the food arrived promptly and was top quality, but the little niggles over service persisted. Our mains had been finished for too long before the plates were taken away, we had to ask for the dessert menu, and, when surely it was plain to see we were ready to order dessert but no waitress came to take said order, we called her over just to ask for the bill, because by that time we were getting a little cheesed off with the lack of service. Were we doing something wrong?
Anyway, the bill was a little over eighty quid for two, a bit steep considering there was no dessert or coffees.
It's difficult to excuse the service, as the restaurant was not very busy, and this in addition the relatively high prices and limited menu means this reviewer wouldn't rush back.

• Visited October 2013