All reviews santa marta oropendola sebastian crested winged sparrows knowledge mototaxi nature hostel
Reviewed February 25, 2017

Sebastian is an excellent birding guide. He has a very keen ear and eye and is able to recognize the birds instantly. He always made an extra effort to make sure that we saw each bird. He speaks good English and is so easy to communicate with.
He picked us up in Minca and when we arrived at Faunal, he put out bananas and seed and the birds came instantly. We had a lovely evening there.
Then we went on a two day tour to Palo Alto and San Lorenzo Ridge. He was amazing at finding the endemics there.
The food was good. He's a very good driver and believe me, those roads are a real challenge.
The accomadation was very basic at his little cabin. He has solar panels to extend the light in the evenings.
I would like to come back some day and do another tour with Sebastian.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Sebastian B, Guide at Faunal Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2017

Hi Donna and Ted. It is a pleasure to read those words from you. I really had a great time birding and enjoying the moments with you. Keep in touch and if you want to come back for more birding in diffetrnt locations just let me know. Say hello to Ted!
Sebastián

Reviewed September 9, 2016

We enjoyed 4 days with Sebastian in Minca and Palo Alto and up on the San Lorenzo ridge. He has an incredible ear and eye for finding birds and is very patient and good at helping his guests see what he finds. In addition, he navigated very rough roads expertly. We enjoyed our 1 day and overnight at Faunal Nature Reserve, his family's home. There is a cabin down the path from the home. The food was tasty. He catered to our need for vegan food. There were birds at his feeding area, made from natural wood with fruit and seeds about. There was also an abundance of birds in the trees in front of and behind the house. In Palo Alto we walked throughout the gardens or stood on the deck and watched birds come in and out of the trees. Up on the ridge there were endemic birds. He didn't stop finding birds until we got back to the Marsol (bus) office. He also helped us go through the bird list each evening and make notes about each bird we saw, as we were seeing so many new birds (and so many with yellow coloring).

Besides his skill, Sebastian is very personable and easy to talk with. His English is quite good. We were totally happy to have found Sebastian and had this excellent tour of the birds of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.

This is not a trip for those who like luxury accommodations or who want fancy food.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2016

I spent 2 nights staying at Faunal while on a birdwatching tour with Sebastian. He and his family took exceptional care of me providing me with great meals, wonderful hospitality and lovely bird viewing at their feeders. I thoroughly enjoyed staying in the comfortable cabin in the forest equipped with running water and flush toilet (but no electricity at the time that I was there). That wasn't a problem as I was provided with candles and was pleased for the authentic forest experience. I spent a total of 7 days birdwatching in the Santa Marta, Sierra Nevada and Flamenco region with Sebastian and was thoroughly impressed by his outstanding ability to locate, identify and share his passion for nature and birdwatching with me. His English is excellent and he is an accomplished bird photographer. I would highly recommend Sebastian as birding guide after having the most incredible time with him.

Room tip: Peaceful cabin in the forest
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed March 31, 2016

i an sorry to say that this Sebastian also suffers from what seems to be a Colombian diseSe, that is do not appear at an appointment when it later seems that is does not suit you anymore.
Shame on you Sebastiaan! i have been waiting for an hour and without notice you did not show up.
You knew where I was staying and at least you could havel called me.
Dont you realise you are spoiling peoples holidaysby acting like this.
Waiting for two days to do the tour and you just ignored me.
Shame on you again!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2015

We had Sebastian as our guide for a seven day birdwatching trip and stayed here on his reserve for 2 nights as part of the trip. The cabin was simple, but amazing, Screen windows all around open to the surrounding forest. There was a birdfeeding station that attracted many different species of birds. There were also trails around the property for more wildlife watching. His mother's cooking was the best we had in Colombia.

Do not come expecting paved roads, luxury, wifi, hot water, or even sometimes electricity. Nature is the highlight here.

Sebastian was an amazing guide, with incredible knowledge of birds and their calls. It was great to spend the 7 days with him, getting to know the birds of the area. I highly recommend him as a guide. He is friendly, easy to get along with, and passionate about his work, both with birds, and preserving the environment.

Date of stay: November 2015