All reviews santa marta oropendola sebastian crested winged sparrows mototaxi nature hostel
Reviewed April 3, 2016

I spent 2 nights staying at Faunal while on a birdwatching tour with Sebastian. He and his family took exceptional care of me providing me with great meals, wonderful hospitality and lovely bird viewing at their feeders. I thoroughly enjoyed staying in the comfortable cabin in the forest equipped with running water and flush toilet (but no electricity at the time that I was there). That wasn't a problem as I was provided with candles and was pleased for the authentic forest experience. I spent a total of 7 days birdwatching in the Santa Marta, Sierra Nevada and Flamenco region with Sebastian and was thoroughly impressed by his outstanding ability to locate, identify and share his passion for nature and birdwatching with me. His English is excellent and he is an accomplished bird photographer. I would highly recommend Sebastian as birding guide after having the most incredible time with him.

Room tip: Peaceful cabin in the forest
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed March 31, 2016

i an sorry to say that this Sebastian also suffers from what seems to be a Colombian diseSe, that is do not appear at an appointment when it later seems that is does not suit you anymore.
Shame on you Sebastiaan! i have been waiting for an hour and without notice you did not show up.
You knew where I was staying and at least you could havel called me.
Dont you realise you are spoiling peoples holidaysby acting like this.
Waiting for two days to do the tour and you just ignored me.
Shame on you again!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2015

We had Sebastian as our guide for a seven day birdwatching trip and stayed here on his reserve for 2 nights as part of the trip. The cabin was simple, but amazing, Screen windows all around open to the surrounding forest. There was a birdfeeding station that attracted many different species of birds. There were also trails around the property for more wildlife watching. His mother's cooking was the best we had in Colombia.

Do not come expecting paved roads, luxury, wifi, hot water, or even sometimes electricity. Nature is the highlight here.

Sebastian was an amazing guide, with incredible knowledge of birds and their calls. It was great to spend the 7 days with him, getting to know the birds of the area. I highly recommend him as a guide. He is friendly, easy to get along with, and passionate about his work, both with birds, and preserving the environment.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank margw6
Reviewed November 28, 2015

My father and I stayed at the Faunal Nature Reserve and had a truly magical time. Sebastian is truly an expert in the local flora and fauna, and their home was a tranquil, lovely place that was in the heart of a gorgeous natural environment. Highly recommended, we'd go back in a heartbeat!

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed March 31, 2015

Our family of four (including a 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter) were lucky enough to have Sebastian as a bird and nature guide in the Minca area for half a day. His experience, knowledge, bird spotting ability and especially his capacity to connect with each of us placed him high in my books. In fact, Sebastian ranks higher than other very good guides we have had in Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad, Tobago, etc.

We spent some time at his guesthouse near Minca and enjoyed photographing many bird species that visited his feeder offering wildlife many of the native fruits grown on his property. A true paradise that we highly recommend.

It is so picture perfect beautiful it was hard to leave.

Date of stay: March 2015