“Good experience”

$71.34*
and up
Waipoua Forest Evening Walk with Local Guide
Reviewed September 20, 2013

It was a very good experience for us. The fresh air, almost magical forrest, the magnificent Kauri, the stories, the songs and most delightful of all - Selwyn, our guide.

Tips:
I'd bring along a bar of chocolate or something cos the tour spans across dinner from 5-9pm. We heard our tummies growl in the quiet forrest *ha!*

Beware of the very twisty roads if you're driving there to catch the tour.

1  Thank Coenchin
There are newer reviews for Footprints Waipoua

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am a kiwi. I went with a tourist and did the $95 tour. We ended up having very different views. The European tourist, who was sceptical beforehand, loved it more than he could have imagined. He thought it was spiritual and engaging. I was so so about it. It was good, but I would give it 6/10 - perhaps that is because I knew a lot of the stories before going. That said, we went back during the day to look at the trees, and I have to agree, the night experience was much better than during the day and even better than looking for oursevles.. as we got a lot more info

1  Thank pjd001
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked this experience as we own a Lodge North of Auckland and a number of guests have done this tour and raved about it. Bill our guide was superb. His knowledge of the area and the forest in general, not just the Kauri was excellent. It is a real spiritual experience inclusive of Maori blessings and musical instruments. It is an activity that we are definitely going to be recommending to our guests in the future.

2  Thank MatakanaCL
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We strongly recommend this evening outing. The walk is easy and the factual information and Maori wisdom which were imparted gradually along this journey are priceless. I lived in the Waitakere Ranges for 16 years amongst Kauri trees and other native trees, birds and bugs; I learnt more is this evening with our Footprint guide than I had learnt over the last 30 years!
At every step of the way respect was given to God, the forest and to our ancestors, prayers of gratitude flowed from our guide with a voice seeped with love and beauty - it sent tingles down my arms. Both Peter and I had deep spiritual experiences which have left us both with a sense that something extra was given to us – it is difficult to put into words, it is something neither of us had when we first walked into the forest on Saturday night but we both walked out of the forest with – perhaps the word I am looking for is Mana … I am not sure, we still have so much to learn from Shane, his family and friends!
Whatever it is that we were given, it was so powerful that it inspired me to sing part of a chant at the foot of Tane Mahuta (the largest kauri in the world) as my acknowledgment of how great this tree and his grandfather tree, Te Maua Ngahere (the oldest Kauri in the world) and all the younger brother and sister trees all are – they have survived despite all sorts of stresses placed on them year after year and I believe that each tree in this forest is truly blessed to be still standing strong today! I NEVER do things like singing out lout in front of people I barely know, I am actually very surprised with myself as I am a behind the stage sort of person!
Oh, and I did this walk with a broken toe which has gone from me limping and hobbling to me walking like a normal person again! Hmmmm I wonder what else I took from Tane Mahuta and Te Maua Ngahere?

1  Thank Denise G
Reviewed April 28, 2013

With the guide we did two of the short tracks but he explained other items than on the boards. He sang for the 3000 year old tree and played his flute, and burned some gum. An enchanting trip to see these fores giants in another light

2  Thank huys25