“A thought provoking experience - taking time to soak up the sounds and smells of the forest.”
Review of Footprints Waipoua

Dunedin, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I went on the Twilight Tour as this was new for me. It was a great night as the skies were clear and the stars just went on forever, as they should. The hosts took us on a relatively short walk, but incorporated aspects of the Maori culture and stories about the forest and the people in such a way as to engage a rather large group. I especially enjoyed hearing their prayers to Tane Mahuta as is showed such deep respect for the forest. Going at night was perfect as there were less distractions and I felt I could take in more of what was shared with me. Regrettably no pictures, but the memory is just as good.

Visited June 2011
FootprintsWaipoua, Manager at Footprints Waipoua, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Thank you Kelly for posting your comments.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

it's one of those what I really want to experience in NZ apart from a typical Maori Haka and Hangi. There is a story and song from heart you will never regret.
You will never experience this at any where in NZ. It's normal life and ordinary people's story for may thousands years. Don't miss this oppotunity while you are in this area.

Visited June 2011
Thank you very much for posting feedback. Your 3 words pretty much sum it up.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“An experienced NOT to be missed!”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

It was a fantastic tour especially with Koro (our guide) hearing stories and facts about the history and Maori legends was all very exciting and intriguing. I strongly reccommend this trip to any visitors or locals in New Zeal;and, a definite "MUST DO" at least once in your life. It is both satisfying to the spirit and the soul!
The tour seeing Tane Mahuta - The Lord of the Forrest (largets Kauri Tree in New Zealand) was amazing and hearing stories and songs honoring life was very moving!
I cant say anything more than just "you've got to experience it for yourself"

Visited June 2011
Cheers mate. Look forward to catching up again soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
“My soul was washed”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

My soul was absolutely washed by standing in front of TaneMahuta in the dark listening to Koro's special words and Bills whitsle out of a traditional instrument. This night experience is very unique and the way Koro and Bill presented made the tour even more unforgettable and special. This tour is definately recommended to all people group.

Visited June 2011
Choice one Doris. Appreciate the post.
Waitara
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Spiritually uplifting experience that was EPIC”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I travelled north with my colleagues as we are developing a Maori tourism experience ourselves in Taranaki and wanted to get a sense of the magic they have going on in the Hokianga that we had heard about..having done the day tour I was looking forward to the twilight tour as it had been recommended to me by an American couple...from the time we hopped in the vehicle our guide Bill built up the aniticipation and as we walked through the quiet serene forest my trepidation about being there in the dark faded away as did the tiredness. There were moments of sheer wonder when I strained my neck backwards and tried not to lose my balance at the immenseness of these glorious natural wonders. Bill kept us enthralled, turning out the lights and gesturing us to silence so we could hear the calls betwen a female and male kiwi...as a half centurion I must admit I was thrilled...then showing us a kauri snail...who knew they were so big...but the highlight was actually not with Tane Mahuta though that was majestic..indeed the highlight was at Te Matua o te Ngahere...I have never appreciated silence before, I could say my own prayer, hear my own heartbeat, listen to the sounds of the forest, then shed a tear as Bill sang a poignant waiata...indeed it was truly spiritual.

2 Thank Redheaded2
What an EPIC post. I hope all is going well in the Taranaki.