“An experience to go with us for the rest of our lives.”
Review of Waipoua Forest

Waipoua Forest
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
3.5-Hour Waipoua Forest Daylight Walk from Omapere
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We strongly recommend this evening outing. The walk is easy and the factual information and Maori wisdom which were imparted gradually along this journey are priceless. I lived in the Waitakere Ranges for 16 years amongst Kauri trees and other native trees, birds and bugs; I learnt more is this evening with our Footprint guide than I had learnt over the last 30 years!
At every step of the way respect was given to God, the forest and to our ancestors, prayers of gratitude flowed from our guide with a voice seeped with love and beauty - it sent tingles down my arms. Both Peter and I had deep spiritual experiences which have left us both with a sense that something extra was given to us – it is difficult to put into words, it is something neither of us had when we first walked into the forest on Saturday night but we both walked out of the forest with – perhaps the word I am looking for is Mana … I am not sure, we still have so much to learn from Shane, his family and friends!
Whatever it is that we were given, it was so powerful that it inspired me to sing part of a chant at the foot of Tane Mahuta (the largest kauri in the world) as my acknowledgment of how great this tree and his grandfather tree, Te Maua Ngahere (the oldest Kauri in the world) and all the younger brother and sister trees all are – they have survived despite all sorts of stresses placed on them year after year and I believe that each tree in this forest is truly blessed to be still standing strong today! I NEVER do things like singing out lout in front of people I barely know, I am actually very surprised with myself as I am a behind the stage sort of person!
Oh, and I did this walk with a broken toe which has gone from me limping and hobbling to me walking like a normal person again! Hmmmm I wonder what else I took from Tane Mahuta and Te Maua Ngahere?

1  Thank Denise G
"short board"
"thousand years"
"fleeting visit"

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The West Coast of Northland is not to be missed! Forget the Bay of Islands, this amazing, ancient Kauri Forest is where it's at.

There is a campground with good basic facilities in the forest behind the visitor's centre. Stay the night, do a night tour with a guide from the local Maori iwi and wake up in a piece of the original New Zealand.

You won't forget your trip through Waipoua and seeing one of the world's mightiest trees, Tane Mahuta.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We walked all the short tracks in the forest and enjoyed immensely being in this small forest with its immense trees on unbelievable size. Even with wide angle camera's it is difficult to make good pictures. It was so impressive we spend half a day here.
On the internet we found also the extra (for a fee) Twillight Encounter tour, see www.footprintswaipoua.co.nz which collected us from our hotel. The guide explained a lot and told enchanting stories and did sing a night-song and played the flute for the largest of the trees. We liked very much to be back again in this forest during the setting of the night and experience again the enchanting feeling of these majestic 2000 year old trees.

1  Thank huys25
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Waipoa Forest is a very different side to NZ, and definitely worth seeing. Loved the narrow, winding road - well sealed, but a fun drive for the roller-coaster lover! There are several different walking trails and hikes available. We picked an easy walk, and it was nice to experience the heart of the jungle-like forest. Check out the visitor's center to find out more about the trails. Tane Mahuta, the giant of the forest, is well worth the 5 minute walk. It's disappointing that you can't walk right up to the base of the tree, but I suppose it's fenced off to protect it from vandals. If you'd like a little adventure off the beaten path, then look for a sign at the southern end of the forest for Lookout Road/ Historic Forest Lookout. The very steep unsealed road is an adventure for cars - go sloooowly. The carpark is 1.5 km from the main road SH12. The lookout tower is accessible to the public and gives a nice view. The Lookout Track is 2.5 km and about 1 hour each way.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We headed up North for a couple of days on our motorbikes and being Easter we knew accommodation was going to be hard to get. So on the Internet we stumbled across a campground in the middle of the Waipoua Forest, sounded great! One phone call later and we had secured a little cabin in the woods! The Waipoua Forest itself is beautiful with the largest kauri tree in New Zealand, not as big as the great sequoia of the world but big for NZ. There are some great walks through the forest where you can see and hear all types of wildlife.
We stayed the night in our kitchen cabin in the woods, very comfy and set by a lovely stream with a swimming hole, brilliant. We purchased a night tour. A local lady, Jane, a real character, regaled us with stories of her ancestors, history of the area, local use of plants for medicinal purposes and very knowledgable information on the kiwi! She was fantastic and so was our very short stay here. We will go back, for sure!