“Decent pub grub”

The Royal Oak
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We used to use this pub as an eating venue quite often some years ago when you usually had to book to get a table, sadly the pub went into decline on the food front with changes to landlords and indeed it has once again changed hands recently. We decided however to give it a try and see what sort of food the new tenants are going to serve up. It was quite on our Thursday evening visit, but I was buoyed by seeing that there was a Chefs special Beef curry available and for just £5.00, so I didn't bother too much about the rest of the menu, although I could see it was the usual pub type grub with a variety of steaks, gammon, a variety of pies, scampi and some decent veggie options. My wife decided to try the Lasagne.
My curry was quite pleasant and was quite a large portion with a good amount of beef that was nice and tender. I had been warned it had a kick to it, which was right, but it wasn't too hot. I would have liked a popadom and some mango chutney with it, but for a fiver, perhaps that's stretching it a bit so no complaints there. My wife enjoyed her Lasagne, which was well presented with garlic bread, although she did feel that there could have been a little more sauce as she found it slightly on the dry side, but nevertheless she scoffed it all down.
I couldn't drink alcohol having given blood some hours before, but I have had some real ales there some weeks back and they were ok, they also sell the usual girly lagers and Guinness along with a selection of Jack Rabbit wines. I have no doubt the owners are still finding their feet, but it looks like a decent start and whilst it may not be somewhere I would go at present for a special meal, we will certainly go back for some good honest pub grub.

2  Thank Pencroft

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic meal this evening! Staff were very welcoming and friendly. Meal was homemade and delicious! Couldn't fault anything! Would highly recommend

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We went to the Oak for lunch with my Grandad who lives in the village. It was very quiet for a Saturday lunch time (we were the only customers) and I wonder if people have been put off by some of the reviews on here. We had a lovely lunch (especially recommend the beef curry which was the special of the day and fantastic value at only £5). Staff were friendly and efficient. My only criticism was the music which was quite loud, but the staff were happy to turn it off at Grandad's request.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We are staying at a nearby B&B and were told that the food here is "okay but the ambience is nil". We have now corrected our land lady's misconception! In fact we've enjoyed our food, the friendliness of the staff and the locals. The food is mostly cooked fresh, although I think the pies are bought in. The pies are delicious - I especially enjoyed the pork, cider and sage pie, complete with the pie's own gravy! When I say we enjoyed it, we went back three nights in a row...it's just a shame that we are off home tomorrow!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Well i'm going to start by commenting on the awful reviews on here,and i find it very strange that there are a series of one dot comments/ratings.seems a bit suspicious to me.In fact think should be maybe looked into by T A.Me and my family's experience is totally different,i started using this lovely pub about four weeks ago,after moving in to the area.Firstly as a watering place after a days graft,the ales are exceptional,and the landlady is accommodating,pleasant and always happy every time i've been there.We tried to book last week for sunday lunch,but it was fully booked.So this tells me something must be good about the food there.So we managed to get there this Sunday gone,what can i say.Delicious,well presented with vegetables you can eat,instead of the rock hard veg you get in some places.There is a range of size portions from large to medium to,childs portion.which they kindly let my mother have,as she is a very small eater.I did not have the desert i was full,but my partner and mum did,and they enjoyed them to.Ok ive not had anything else off the menu,but to say its an unwelcoming pub,is way off kilter.Ive written quite a few reviews,sometimes good about places and then if its not upto scratch later i will comment again.So far here at The Royal oak,everything has been top dollar.well done keep up the good work,and pay a visit folks.

3  Thank jscousertommy