“Recent Stay -Big niggles that spolit the stay generally”

The Oak Tree Inn, Helperby
Ranked #1 of 2 Helperby B&B and Inns
Hartlepool
“Recent Stay -Big niggles that spolit the stay generally”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have stayed here before and in other Inns in the Provenance Group, All of the stays previously were excellent in room quality and food , We arrived to find no toiletries at all in the lovely room -I note this was a comment from a previous guest , We were supplied eventually following a call to reception. The room was excellent . The meal in the restaurant was good but spoiled when my wife ordered the main course Thai Duck Curry -It was awful and had no taste , when mentioning to the waitress and asking for a replacement it became a problem , The waitress did not seem to understand what the issue was , it was eventually sorted out by the friendly and professional Manager and my wife ordered a different main course that was excellent.(But was eating it 20 mins after the original main course had come out)
This morning when checking out the same waitress charged us incorrectly almost double the total bill I was expecting , It took me 3 explanations for her to understand the discrepancies and eventually the Manager came over and produced the correct bill , This whole episode could have been avoided as I feel the waitress was either not trained in customer service or did not know how to correctly work out the Bill.
It was a shame that the niggles we had were not sorted out efficiently and I suggest the waitress really needs training in customer care skills , The Inns are excellent but on this occasion our stay was not a pleasant one overall

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OakHelperby, General Manager at The Oak Tree Inn, Helperby, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
"Thank you for your recent review.
I am sorry to hear your recent visit to us here at The Oak Tree was not fully to your satisfaction, I have noted your comments and have acted upon them accordingly.
I am happy to hear that you are a loyal customer to Provenance Inns and want this to continue, I will be contacting you directly to remedy this matter. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oak Tree in the future.
Many thanks
Emma O’Connell
General Manager"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Grinshill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Oak Tree Inn for a long weekend in late October. We wanted to visit York and found this venue to be convenient not only for the city, via Park & Ride but also for the beautiful surrounding area. The Inn itself was excellent in every way. We found the room warm, spacious and decorated to a high standard and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was very modern and it was good to see a bath and a separate shower. The toiletries provided were of good quality and there were plenty of towels and nice bathrobes. The bed itself was huge and wonderfully comfortable.

We stayed for 3 nights and on each evening we had food of excellent quality which was beautifully presented. I felt the chef really knew what he was doing. The menu appeared to cater for both 'foodies' and casual diners. The desserts were imaginative and obviously home made and worth every calorie! On offer for breakfast were cereals, fruit salad,granola and yoghurts as well as cooked breakfast options.

We were made really welcome here and found the staff without exception to be friendly. attentive and helpful. We can't wait to return.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just arrived home after a lovely over night stay at The Oak Tree Inn. Decorated and furnished to a very high standard, the attention to detail in the bedroom and bathroom was very impressive. Cafetiere and ground coffee, lovely Emma Bridgewater Mugs, selection of Teas, Horlicks,Hot Chocolate and a Yorkie bar !.The food we had was also very high quality and locally sourced, We had pork terrine from the specials board, and cheese crusted scallops followed by sirloin steak and braised ox cheek,(melt in the mouth ! ) we also managed cheese and biscuits. Breakfast was of the same quality and presented well too. Looking forward to a return visit, Richard and the other members of the staff were very attentive, Thank you all very much for a memorable weekend .Just remembered loved the quirky light fitting in our room.

Room Tip: We stayed in *Beech* room with Jacuzzi bath.
Wicken
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband had stayed here mid-week, when he was the only guest, and thought it would make an ideal place for us both to stay when we visited his mother locally. So last Friday we booked for dinner bed and breakfast. My husband took his mother to lunch there and they both enjoyed it. Then again, fish and chips? Can a lot go wrong? I travelled up to Yorkshire from London on the 5.30pm train which was late so was looking forward to a nice dinner. The staff had kept our booking loose as we were not sure what time I would arrive. The room was good - tasteful decoration, good supply of magazines, one tiny tablet of soap for two people and no face flannel. We went down to dinner and were seated in the main dining area at a lovely table. On first viewing the menu is completely unstructured - pizza, sandwiches, fillet steak..........madness! Eventually I chose off the specials board and ordered moules. We were constantly urged to decide on drinks, food, wine............I hate that. My husband chose steak and we ordered two carafes of red and white wine. The white was v good but expensive. My husband enjoyed his red wine. The moules were totally tasteless. They were served in white wine sauce - but it was just white sauce. I have no idea what was in it. My husband's steak was good. We decided I would have cheese afterwards to make up but no one approached us once to offer us an additional course - possibly scared off by the loud mouthed drunken blonde eating in a party of 4! So, a disappointment. We slept well although the noise level from the road is high.
In the morning we went down for breakfast and entered the dining room only to be told we had to eat in the bar! We were led to a table there and served good coffee and tea. It was some time before we realized that we probably needed to find someone to serve us - no one came forward. My husband's cooked breakfast was good. I asked for white toast and was served 2 slices of bread, hot, in an open wire basket with no napkin. No one asked if we would like anything else. There is a note on the menu that if you want a croissant it will take 15 minutes to cook - a good Yorkshire way of making sure that no one actually eats a croissant! So my breakfast consisted of a cup of tea and a slice of (now cold) hot bread!
As we were making our way to reception to pay a large coach pulled in to the car park and out spilled a large number of racegoers - and they all trooped into the dining room to be served in style! Overnight residents (our bill was £208 for dinner bed and breakfast - and remember I had a starter for dinner and a slice of toast for breakfast) were overlooked in favour of a bunch of blokes ordering pints at 0958! Tacky, if nothing else.
When we paid the bill, I explained my displeasure and it is true that the waitress (who had to turn her attention from the blokes going to the races and spending money to serve a resident) offered me the opportunity to speak to the manger. I pointed out that I was unhappy at having to eat in the bar whilst the coach party ate in the restaurant but her response was "they booked a while ago!. And her point was?
But, you know, what the manager going to do?
He was more interested in selling booze at 1000. There are lovely places in this area but avoid this one. It is just a pub charging hotel prices with Weatherspoon standards. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PlumBailey
york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

The pub is beautifully decorated and has a lovely warm comfortable feeling to it. The staff seemed a little over keen to get us seated whilst we looked at the menu. I found the menu to have no coherence and seemed " all over the place" . Pizzas, Pannini , burger, steak, sea bass- I found it a little confusing and not what I would have expected from such a great, recently refurbished place. Anyway, we ordered and our food came out quickly and it was hot. The Coquille st Jaques was queenie scallops swimming in a greasy mess of melted garlic butter and cheese. You could not taste the scallop at all. On the plus side, the ham hock terrine was good as was the black pudding hash with poached egg although both dishes were under seasoned. I had ordered lemon sole from the specials board. The fish arrived completely stripped of its skin, smelling stronger than I would have expected and unfortunately undercooked. The fish went back to the kitchen and came back cooked - but I am not sure how. Not grilled or pan fried as there was no colour on it. Not poached as the flesh was too firm. It was very hot. Dare I say it........was this fish microwaved??? I think it may have been. And why was it skinned? I don't know for sure but I have a suspicion that it may not have been lemon sole ( which has a very delicate flavour ) but a different flat fish. The rest of my party were generally happy with their food . The apologies came thick and fast for the fish but to maintain good customer service I would have expected it to have been removed from the bill. No, not even a complimentary coffee. Such a shame as now this will be my one and only trip there so consequently the Oak Tree has lost my future custom. The place has, in my humble opinion , the chance to be great. Lovely location, it's done out so very nicely but the food is a big let down. In order to survive now these little village pubs have to become destination pubs. We have some great pub/ restaurants in this area and the Oak Tree needs to up its game.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Girmont Val d'Ajol, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

What a lovely surprise we had when we called in at the Oak Tree for lunch last week. Great food, well presented and good value for money. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. Would definitely recommend it. Will be calling in again next time we are in the area.

Thanks

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked the Oak Tree Inn by chance as I had a late change of business arrangements and I am glad I did.
The place has been tastefully refurbished and extended to a high standard and the staff were very welcoming and could not do more for me, they have a good selection of ales / lager available and the wine list looked very interesting.
Most of the food available is from local produce and looked good, they had a Mexican evening going on during my one night stay but I chose to have the local Rib Eye Steak etc which was good and the table service was very attentive.
My room was very comfortable and well appointed with complementary ‘Yorkie’ bar and as mentioned by another reviewer the head height in the shower over the bath is on the low side and anyone over 6ft needs to be careful. (a minor point compared with all the positives).

I would stay at The Oak Tree Inn again any time I am travelling in that area and would recommend it for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helperby
The Grand Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN Burn Hall Hotel
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection
York Marriott Hotel
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Oak Tree Inn, Helperby? Share your experiences!