Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
Abad Harmonia(Kovalam)
Nikki's Nest(Vizhinjam)
  • Breakfast included
Agastya Ayurveda Garden(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
View Hotel
All reviewsthe cottagesprivate beachnon vegayurveda resortdoctors and therapistssister hotelkerala houserestaurant staffsea viewrejuvenation packagegarden cottagespecial mentionmonsoon seasonsunday morningspent two weeksdays treatmentno alcohol
Reviewed August 20, 2013

we were here from 31st july to 3rd aug. Very beautiful location. You are sitting just next to the sea. The cottages are marvellous with hammocks all round , to enjoy the sea view and chill. The cottages are comforting,inviting and assure you a nice peaceful sleep. The restaurant is excellent. run by Pratap in morning and Anjumol as her assistant are nice courteous and make sure you have a hearty meal. The evening incharge Nimish (i don't remember his name) is a gentleman and makes sure your all requests regarding the food are met even at odd hours. Make sure to meet him. Wonderful man and an asset to the resort. We also had ayurvedic treatment at the resort. It was excellent, sheer joy , eternal peace and pure calmness. Staying here rejuvnates your body and soul. Make sure you take your swimming costumes as the pool is so tempting. Staff is courteous and ever helping.

Room Tip: Take the sea facing cottages
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
SreejithKK, Public Relations Manager at Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

We take this opportunity to express our sincere thanks to you for your stay at Manaltheeram Ayurveda Resort and the time taken to write your review in trip advisor. We are very happy to note that you have impressed with our Sea view and peaceful ambience. As an Ayurveda Resort our intention to create such peace and ideal location and happy to note our effort is in success. Also thank you very much for the best compliments to our service team; they are the one who makes Manaltheeram of so special to everyone, surly your best compliments will motivate them to do better and better . We are very happy to serve you again and again with more personal care and attention. Looking forward to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Subhash

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great treatment and special good food adjusted to you person.
The rooms looking to the beach, were very beautiful starting with numbe round the 20 and for friends more than 4 it is possible to have a block of rooms. beautiful too. Pools are okay, but there is not much time.
Swimming in the sea is not advisable, through current.
but nice chairs and towels on beach

Room Tip: sea view huts around number 20. A bit lower
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
SreejithKK, Public Relations Manager at Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your valuable time taken to write review on your stay at Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort “World’s First Ayurveda Resort” located in the best beach of Chowara. We learned your feedback and happy to note that, our Ayurveda Treatment is super and Ayurveda Vegetarian food is very good. Your best compliments encourage us to continue our effort to offer higher standards of service and the best of best Ayurveda. The essence and soul of Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort illustrate the ancient medical science of Ayurveda and the art of Yoga. We are looking forward to serve you again and again.

Subhash C Bose

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I just got back for the Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort where I went by myself. and it truly was one of the best times I have ever experienced from beginning to end. I landed and someone was right there to greet me and take me to the resort. The reception was warm even at 5 AM. All the people at the resort were there for you and made me feel right at home the entire time. From the Incredible staff at the reception desk, grounds keepers, housekeepers, treatment therapists, to the staff at the restaurant, I felt so well taken care of it was fantastic. The yoga was a blast and the daily treatments were the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. Every day I went was different and extremely special. I would advise anyone to go here. It was one of the BEST trips I've ever had an I will be sure to go back again. I miss everyone already! See you again sometime soon! Thank you again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kate S
SreejithKK, Public Relations Manager at Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Ms. Kate,

Thank you very much for your valuable time that you have taken to write review about your stay. We are very happy to note that your stay was one of the best times ever experienced from beginning to end, our yoga was great, our treatment was amazing and our staffs are incredible. Your compliments are very much motivate to our Somatheeram Team and we are looking forward to serve you again and again. The idea of “Somatheeram Ayurvda Resort” was intense passion for generating a harmonious Eco-system through ancient Indian healing therapies that made way, for the first ever Ayurveda Resort in the world. We are very happy to hear the success of Ayurveda and Somatheeram through our very special guest like you of renowned personalities. Our warm welcome back!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed just for 7 nights, was good, but I could enjoyed for more 3 days. the place is for rest, you rest your mind and spirit, but not your body, if you want, there is a lot of things to do while you there. the beach is amazing, you can walk for hours or just be seated there watching the waves show. or the fisherman's coming and going in their boats. all together pushing the nets. you can walk in the village, go to the temples or, ask for Aji (9567119497) he is a local driver and he can take you everywhere, go to the lighthouse, take a view from the port, visit the church.
the therapists is really good, I had great treatment in very professional hands. the doctors are there all the time and they are very attentive and concern about your well being. they take as long they need to give you the perfect treatment accordingly your need.
the food is Ayurvedic as well, but good and health enough and they serve 2 non vegetarian dishes in all meals. and if you really need to jump out of the diet, you can go to Kovalan or Trivandrun for a day.
all the staff are very nice and kind. take a time to talk with them, I left friends in this place.

Room Tip: the rooms down facing the ocean is nicer.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MEdelstein

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for the valuable time that you have taken to write your review. We learned your feedback and happy to note that, the way we kept our resort is very good to rest your mind and spirit, there are a lot of things to do such as the amazing beach and can walk for hours or just be seated there watching the waves show. or the fisherman's coming and going in their boats etc. Your best compliments encouraged our Doctors and Therapist. The essence and soul of Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort illustrate the ancient medical science of Ayurveda and the art of Yoga. We are very happy by hearing your feedback about the successful of Ayurveda offered at Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort “The World’s first Ayurveda Resort”. We are looking forward to serve you again and again.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed in Somatheeram Ayurveda beach resort for 28 days from early April to early Mai 2013

+ nice compound, it looks nice
+ the hotel has a true Ayurveda soul, though has become very commercial
+ great classes in Yoga and meditation

+/- treatments in itself good, but not better than other hotels
+/- accommodation in cottages is basic, Kerala houses better but very small. Be aware that the hotel is in lush green environment housing small wild animals ; mouses and ++ who like to come in the rooms at night ( I had mouses in my special cottage after which they upgraded me in a Kerala house) Other people had rats in their suite rooms. This seems to be a common problem

- Internet is on and off
- the hotel has steps everywhere, 100 steps to the beach, 100 steps to the treatments. Not adapted for older people.
- overall not very clean ( restaurant, yoga platform, Ayurveda treatment rooms, rooms--> mouses ++
- Kitchen/Food is basic and very far from good creative Ayurveda cooking. Service in restaurant is quite passive
- very little tailor made, person specific follow-up of your overall Ayurveda treatment, you just get a paper copy of a diet to follow on the slimming program. Everything seems very standardized. I have seen much better in other Ayurveda hotels, much more adapted to each person. After my 14 days slimming program they did not even weigh me how much I lost ! Nobody told me what I can eat in the next 14 days etc. They are far from their guests, it is an Ayurveda factory. Very different than good hotels. And the doctors are definitely not the best.
- Somatheeram was one of the pioneers in Ayurveda in Kerale. They are probably still the best in self-marketing, proud of all their awards and prices..( being in business myself, I have some doubts about those prices and awards) Somatheeram has become a business machine, not very well managed and a bit outdated.. It has many repeat guests who have not tried other, newer, more customer focused Ayurveda hotels.

They have a "sister hotel " Manatheeram which is a bit newer and seem to have a better kitchen en hotel layout.

I had a short talk with the operations manager ( 10 minutes) in which I aired some observations and comparisons , but it did not receive much interest.

Overall, having experienced several Ayurveda hotels, I do not recommend Somatheerm. It is past glory, much better is available, better in price quality , in India and in Sri Lanka

Hope it is helpful

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank Reinardus v
SreejithKK, Manager at Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

At the out set we would like to express our sincere thanks for choosing somatheeram Ayurveda Resort for your holidays.
We at Somatheeram ensure that all our esteemed guests are treated well with best services and we are at toes to resolve any matter as it is never left unsolved.
Upon arrival we have provided you the special cottage in the early morning even though our check in time is in the afternoon. Later shown you few rooms for your options based on your request that “I would like to stay in front raw cottage only”. As per your wish again we shifted to another room on the very next day itself.
During the stay, you have complaint to the reception about noise from the roof. We taken this matter very seriously and we upgraded him to Kerala house AC at the same time. Later by proper checking we found that, there was a squirrel in the roof.
Nevertheless, I assure such kind of occurrences have never been a part of our service standards.
As per your medical report you have lost more than five kgs within 14days and you have also complimented about the treatments during your meeting with our Operations manager.
Regarding the food, Of course if you are in the ayurvedic diet plan you cannot able to eat as per your choice and taste.
Somatheeram always try to promote and provide ayurveda treatments in its traditional way without losing its authenticity. All our awards and achievements are for our excellent service in ayurveda nationally and internationally . we are always keeping the quality of the service more and more.
Thanks again for your feed backs…
Looking forward to your next visit very soon.