“Ideal place for Panchakarma”

Ideal Ayurvedic Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chowara
Reviewed November 17, 2011

In 2011 I returned for the second time to Ideal Resort especially for Ayurvedic treatment. I took my time and stayed there for 30 days. That was an excellent idea. I very much enjoyed how the doctors' prescriptions were exactly executed by the entire team of therapists. I enjoyed the emphasis they put on cleanliness and hygiene. That was primordial for me. My favorite therapist (Khavita) has been working there for many years and she knows exactly my needs. Even her colleagues were working with her harmoniously professional. The owner Hristudas, his son Sunu, the manager Flabour(who organized for me the taxi for Tivandrum trip and every other little wishes that I had- computer, internet, etc. ) and their crew - starting with delicious cooking and excellent service, with taking care of me when I was swimming, with cleaning my room so sweetly and kindly so that they wouldn't disturb me in the morning, continuing with the men at the door taking care every evening of me to keep away the mosquitos with smoke and finishing with the industrious laundry man who made sure that we had fresh sheets every day - all this team took care of me and made me feel like I was in the dreamland of India. I decided to come regularly every year, for one month. Please don't make it more expensive because I love you and I want to keep on coming.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Horiana

Reviewed November 4, 2011

I have just returned from a stay at the ldeal Ayurvedic Resort for 9 days and had a wonderful experience there. The room was simple but clean and roomy. The food was thoughtfully prepared and fresh. I asked the cook to prepare vegetarian meals without much spice and every day he brought the perfect meal. The fruit salad is huge and delicious. The pool is clean and private in a courtyard reached by a dirt path, located away from the main road so you can wear a Western swim suit and feel comfortable. The courtyard is a big shady green refuge from the world...except it has Wifi.

Unlike the people I ran into who had stayed at other more popular places I never felt that my Ayurvedic treatments were stingy if more people arrived unexpectedly. Quite the opposite. My treatments were 3 hours per day with 2 or 3 women attending with the doctor checking in regularly.

Flabour, the propriator checked in daily to make sure things were going as planned and bent over backwards to offer any kind of help from coaching me through dealing with taxi drivers to finding the best jewelry stores in Trivandrum. I wish I was there now.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Lynn F
flabour, General Manager at Ideal Ayurvedic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Dear Ms.Lynn,

Thanks for the positive review. Very happy to know that you enjoyed the personalised services offered here. Your sincere review will definitely help us !
One thing I want to inform you is I am not the proprietor here, just the manager since December 2011 :-)

Kind regards,
Flabour Welben

Reviewed September 8, 2011

Just simply fantastic and I will recommend anyone to stay longer at least one week so that you will enjoy the Full potential and soak in the natural surrounding, great hospitality and not mention the great food. This is hidden Gem.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank kenKandiah
Reviewed September 7, 2011

After a hectic (and fantastic) time in Delhi and Rajastan we needed somewhere we could chill out around a pool, walk the beach and enjoy some good food. Kovalam sounded too busy and 'run of the mill', so we chose the Ideal Ayurvedic Resort just outside Kovalam and Trivandrum (to the airport).
All our expectations were, well and truly exceeded with the bonus of being great value. The staff were outstanding, always friendly and ready to go out of their way. The rooms were simple but meticulously clean. No TV in the rooms (which we liked). A small fridge would have been good but the staff were just a call away for a cool drink. WIFI is available in the rooms and around the pool.
The food was superb and very 'Kerala home style' with an extensive menu. Our favourite part was having lengthy discussions with the Manager Flabour every afternoon as to what we would be feasting on for dinner.
During the day if we wished they would get a tender coconut straight off the tree for refreshing coconut water.
To top it all off, it was a 10 min walk to Chowara beach. We ventured to the zoo at Trivandrum (worth a visit) and Kovalam Beach but basically we spent a lot of time around the pool and walking the beautiful streets to meet the friendly locals (no pressure to buy which was another nice change from the north).
We didn't plan to do any of the extensive treatments, however we couldn't go past the traditional herbal oil full body massage and the herbal facial. Such great value and far better than ever experienced anywhere else. The meditation sessions in the morning were fantastic and a great step to prepare us for surviving 'reality' back in Sydney.
We came here just out of season in September and would recommend this time of year.

Room Tip: Suggest the Pool View rooms
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Reidy277
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Ideal Ayurvedic was a perfect location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They truly watch out for your own interest in catching cabs or getting tours of the area. Ideal was very clean in the rooms and the grounds. It is very safe and Vineeh is a fabulous cook and server. The beach is very close as well as many different tourist sites - Kovalam, Poovar, Trivandrum, etc. There is plenty to do if you don't want to be in the rush, rush of Kovalam and a quick cab gets you there in 10 minutes. I had a great ayurvedic massage and some of the other wonderful 5,000 year old treatments. Pool is clean and refreshing. Great for family or just friends or even just yourself.

I would highly recommend Ideal for your travels and the staff, Vineeh, and Sunu will surely make your feel at home.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank StephSteinmetz
Reviewed August 20, 2011

A lovely hotel with helpful, professional and efficient service from all. Room was clean and very peaceful. Location was a quiet area, walking distance to the beach and auto/ taxi drive to everywhere else. Liked the peaceful atmosphere of the hotel but on a negative note, unfortunately Kerala is a lot more expensive than other parts of india! Some tourist shops were nearby hotel. A good book is a bonus to have with you to relax when staying here. Food was excellent, well presented and timed and served in a friendly manner.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Nice family place to stay we had a blast with our 2 girls 12 and 14. People were really nice and food was very good. will stay again. We had a great stay most of the time was spent in the pool. Went into trivandrum and ran into a bit of a student protest but that just added to the adventure. Good vegatarian food and a good taylor down the road. The owners were nice enought to find us a gym to work out in nearby. It was very primitive but we got the job done and felt good afterwards.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank paul5171
idealayurvedicresort, General Manager at Ideal Ayurvedic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the good review about our resort.And I expect you back again with other friends and relatives.

Thanks & Kind regards,
Flabour Welben

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chowara
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort
The Travancore Heritage Beach Re...
#12 of 97 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Abad Harmonia
#21 of 52 in Kovalam
Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort
Manaltheeram Ayurveda Beach Village
Niraamaya Retreats Surya Samudra

Been to Ideal Ayurvedic Resort? Share your experiences!