“In serious need of improvement. I wish I could give 2 1/2 stars.”
Review of Aqua Coastal Sushi - CLOSED

Aqua Coastal Sushi
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: This is not your ordinary sushi place. Urban chic and sexy will make Aqua Coastal Sushi unique in a big way.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We ate here twice during our most recent Rosemary Beach trip. It is definitely better than the former tenant, but has a lot of room for further improvement.

Our first visit as a party of five was great. The food was good. I’m a bit of a sushi snob and this is pretty average, but better than I expected and good enough that we went back. We were served promptly. The beer was cold. We had braved a deluge to get there, and the place was almost empty. I would have rated this visit as four stars.

Two days later, we arrived with a larger crowd for a late lunch (2:00). The place was full. This time, service was terrible for us and for all of the table within eye or ear shot of ours. Our server was so far into the weeds that she was pretty useless. The food took forever. We got one plate and then nothing for more than 30 minutes. When we asked about it, we were told that everything would be served as it was prepared. OK, fine, but then seven of the other plates arrived all at once. It was another 15 minutes for the last plate. On this visit, the look and quality of the rolls were different from plate to plate. It was pretty clear that someone “new” or “learning” was doing some of the preparation. We understand that servers can be overwhelmed, that staffing at the beach can be complicated and that things can happen to cause delays. Frankly, what really bothered us was that the two clearly managerial people knew that there was a problem, and they never asked how our meal was, checked on us, or even acknowledged our existences. Even more, the appeared to be actively ignoring us. We ran into guests from two adjacent tables later in the day, and we all agreed that better service and a serious attitude adjustment are in order. I would have rated this visit as one star.
We’ll be back at Rosemary Beach at the end of the month, but we won’t be eating sushi unless and until we see some consistent really excellent reviews.

One final note, they restaurant serves only wine and beer. They do not have a full bar.

1  Thank LydiaClaire

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was only my second time to have sushi and probably will be my last. My husband and daughter didn't like it and its not on my list of favorite foods. However, I realize we may be in the minority. I had the lobster roll and it was good. My husband and daughter had the California roll and Philly roll. They didn't like. Now the positives: the service was impeccable, ambience was good, and the edamame was excellent. It was expensive but I expected that. I think sushi lovers would like this place.

1  Thank threepowells
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Not a place for kids. We mad the best of it with the hot rocks. So expensive to do but it was fun. The Sushi was expensive but the taste was good. Not the best I've had but it was good. Can't believe you are right on the beach and can't get more normal cuts of sushi. They had lots of rolls. Maybe a date night place but not really for kids.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Everything we had was awesome! The waitress was great and Steve the head chef came by and talked with us. Told us to try the Hot Monkey Love and it was the best thing I had on my trip to Rosemary Beach! We enjoyed sitting outside but the interior was beautiful also. Love the entire village Aqua is in. Maybe they will go national? Lol we also enjoyed the Hot Rock and The Chocolate Sushi in Heaven. Can not wait to come back!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We went to ACS for dinner in early July 2013. The electricity was out in Rosemary Beach, but ACS had electricity and after a 30 minute or so wait, we were sat on the patio. Our server took our order after a brief wait and shortly thereafter one of the many items we ordered arrived at the table. Some 1.5 hours later, the remainder of our food showed up. Like many of our neighbors, we were outraged at the delay and continued promise of "just 5 more minutes" from the server. It turns out they didn't want to lose their dinner crowd that night, so they mislead everyone into thinking they were operational. The truth is that they only had partial electricity and were unable to cook rice and such as one might deem essential to the process of making sushi. After our food arrived, our server made no effort to make any adjustments to the check and the manager was quite hostile with us and the table beside us. The sushi, while ok, wasn't anything to write home about and certainly not a location I'd pick again when visiting Rosemary Beach.

1  Thank JMSinMEM
Kevin N, Owner at Aqua Coastal Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

I was worried this might happen. Yes, the entire town of Rosemary had a black out but Aqua some how had a two outlets operating so we decided to stay open to try and service a town full of hungry people. Unfortunately, we weren't prepared for this kind of volume with 10% of our power so yes the food took especially long and we did run out of rice. Had we known we would be the only place open during a black out we would have doubled our production before it happened. Clearly this was a unique circumstance and we had hoped that the town would rally around us for the effort in trying to stay open instead of critiquing the time and quantity of food. We weren't trying to mislead anyone, we simply tried to feed people desperate for dinner with the limited resources we had available. My hope is that this reviewer and everyone else that came by that night would give us a fair opportunity to serve them under normal circumstances so they can see how special Aqua can truly be.