The Derwentwater Hotel
$226
$201
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsa lake view roomcoast countryself cateringrestaurant staffhotel groundshalf boardlake districtshearings hotelslovely locationlovely walkminute walk into keswickweekend breakplenty of choicestunning viewsa lovely stayfull englishderwentwater
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Very friendly staff with a fabulous location. A short stroll into Keswick with wonderful grounds down to the lakeside and countryside all around. Dog friendly! The apartment we stayed in was clean and well appointed, in keeping with the surroundings. All in all a lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Alison G
DerwentwaterGM, Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Alison,

Thank you for the feedback, I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us, it's always good to know when we have got it right and I am pleased to hear you made full use of the grounds to the Lake too. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

First the positives - the staff at Derwentwater are lovely, engaging and helpful which made me give it a three. The hotel is in a super position. The food is good if not a bit traditional and served on hot plates. The bedding and towels were clean

The negatives the hotel is tired although some of the rooms were being decorated during our stay. One of our rooms did have a matting of cobwebs behind the wardrobe which were clearly visible. The shower was pathetic. There were repairs needed to the structure. I did feel in a bit of a time warp!

Would we go back - I doubt it which is such a shame because with investment it could be excellent

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
DerwentwaterGM, Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, I do appreciate your comments, both the positive and negative. We are indeed in the process of carrying out necessary refurbishment of 16 of our rooms and public areas at present, which once completed (in approx. 4 weeks time)will mean more than 50% of our rooms will have been refurbsihment.

I do apologise if this work caused you any inconvenience during your stay, we are trying to cause as little disruption to our guests as possible and hope you will come back to see these improvement once we have completed them.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope you will give us the opportunity of changing your view of our property, by coming back to see us on your next visit to the Lake District.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

fri april18th til mon 21st... three bloody nights...
this is our third and last time at the derwentwater, if only the hotel was as nice as the setting, beauitful postion, and views.. garden down to the lake lovely, not often the outside of a hotel, beats the crap out of the inside...

room 106...there was a hole in the wall, where the fridge had been taken out, just left as a hole, with the bin put inside to make it look useful, a peice of plain ply wood put in the back of the hole to hide the wall behind, not even painted white,not even full height of the hole, a gap a the top, which reveled a nasty wall & broken tiles... skirting boards chipped and marked, wall paper marked with scruffs, and coming away in the corner of the walls.. bathroom a joke, bath panel not even cut round skirting boards, gap at each side of panel, hot tap on basin was a trickle, try washing your hands.., mirror screwed to front of bathroom door, with a screw hole showing at the top and bottm, curtains were dirty at the bottoms.. furniture was out of the arc, handles coming off.. big hole next to yale lock on door frame, and lock catch, on door frame loose

dinner time.. food was bland....fish and chips on fri, with a bowl of sliced carrots and broccoli (who in the name of gods creation, has carrots and broccli with fish and chips ?????).. should have kept the carrots and brocolli of the menu, and gave us ten chips instead of eight chips
my wife sent her chefs special back, how do you spoil a salad ???.. pea and ham soup like water..
nearly £4.00 for a pint of the cheapest lager around ..carling... even the manager went down the local pub, farmers arms.. enough said on that..

needs comfy sofa's in the consevatory, the ones in there now are pathetic,no comfort at all, considering the main guests a re elderly people. also a beam between the windows in the lounge a peice of timber had been taken off, and some sort of cables are visiable..
got the manager up to our room about the hole in the wall, what was done.. nowt, zero, zilch..

its a shame as this hotel could be excellent,staff are great..... seems the standards are going hill down fast..

on my way out i saw a workman carrying four box's of wall filler, and i said to him, your gonna need bigger box's.

apparently they are in the process of redecorating rooms, even so ALL the rooms should be up to a decent decor standard, especially the start of the first real holidays of the year..

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Bob A
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to review the hotel following your stay. I am very disappointed with your review, which I feel is rather harsh.

Obviously I will sit down with my team and take corrective action where required.

Thank you again.

David McDonald

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed in the self catering apartments as we took our pet dog... Only to find she wasn't able to come over to the hotel with us to eat or drink so we had to go else where. The apartments were clean and spacious some work needs done on décor but was a very old building. The views were lovely and was around 20 mins walk to Keswick. The car parking was good. We thought price was a bit much for one night as nothing was included i.e. breakfast. No Wi-Fi in the apartments either so as dog wasn't allowed in hotel were unable to use this facility.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
DerwentwaterGM, Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear that you were led to believe that you could not use the Hotel facilities with your dog, I am not sure what led you to believe this because it is not the case at all. The only areas we do not allow dogs are the Bar and Restaurant (Unless Guide Dogs) but there is plenty of seating and dining facilities in the Conservatory, in fact we had at least a dozen guests stay with us in the Hotel last weekend alone who had their dogs with them.

It is unfortunate that you left without making full use of our facilities because of the confusion, and I do hope you will return with your pet in the very near future and make the most of our beautiful property and grounds on your next visit to the Lake District.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel used to be independent but now part of Shearings. The bar staff and housekeeping staff are friendly and work well. However, the manager is NEVER available to talk to customers. In fact he avoids all contact whenever possible. He only likes to hear good things but never the truth about his staff or the hotel. The décor is very tired, plasterwork and general paintwork shabby. The window walls in the restaurant are shoddily plastered. In our room 212 there was a broken tap, missing tooth mug bracket, chipped glass shelving, dirty carpet. The paintwork in general needs scrubbing and repainting. If you stay there never have scrambled egg you can cut it into slices with a knife - light and fluffy it is N OT!. Poached eggs are hard boiled.. A full Cumbrian Breakfast is lacking in mushrooms, black pudding. croissants are on the menu but only appeared 1 day in 4 and then not enough to go round. the choice of food for dinner was the same every day and so poor that after first night we ate out in Keswick. Would I go back - NO WAY!!!

Room Tip: Go to any one of the hotels in the lake district hotel group, such as the Lodore Falls. . BUT Avoid the Derwentwater hotel completely
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brian M
DerwentwaterGM, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and have highlighted many issues. Please rest assured these will be rectified and I am sorry they affected your stay.

The hotel is currently undergoing significant but much needed investment, which will mean that within the last 12 months 24 of our 47 bedrooms will have been refurbished. On top of that we have plans for many other parts of the hotel, to try and raise the standards of the decor which we know in places requires attention.

I am sorry I did not get to meet you myself, but this was certainly not deliberate. I am keen to meet all of our guests and often spend time on and around reception to listen to our guests. I am passionate about the hotel, and in my rare absence I do have a duty management team who are available 24/7 for guests should the need arise.

Thank you again for your feedback.

David McDonald