“Lovely location”

The Derwentwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Although this hotel could do with updating and a bit of TLC it is in a wonderful location near the lakeside. There is a lovely pub in the village called the Farmers Arms which has live music on a Saturday. Lovely walks around the lake and Keswick is in walking distance.

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms a must
1  Thank Nick F
186PeterS186, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on the hotel following your recent stay. I will ensure the team get to read your comments.

I hope that our breathtaking location near the lake can draw you back soon!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is situated in a lovely quiet village just 20 mins walk outside Keswick.The grounds are great for a walk and have beautiful views. The public area in the hotel has been nicely decorated and is very comfortable to sit in. The meals were nice and a good choice if you are b&b or half board,we ordered lunch one day and it was very nice.The staff made the hotel experience very pleasant as the were so helpful and happy and the dining staff were very efficient,nothing was a problem.The only let down was our room,it was clean but tired,in need of repair and decorating although I noticed the upgrade rooms were very nice and newly decorated with good views. I would stay ay this hotel as it was value for money.If you want to use the spa you have to book a slot soon as possible at reception,it was worth it and its free.

Room Tip: 108,we saw in it when it was getting cleaned,think you would have to upgrade but worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, such reviews are a great tool to help us measure the opinions of our guests.

I agree with your comments, and will ensure the team get to see them, including the kitchen and restaurant staff who you have mentioned.

I hope that we can tempt you back soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Disappointing room despite paying more than friends whose room was twice the size of ours. Some problems in the dining room due to inadequately trained New staff.despite the criticisms the public areas and grounds are impressive, and the food quite good.

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to make comment following a stay with us.

I have noted your comments and will ensure the team get to read them, it is true that recently we have had some new staff in the dining room who have now settled and completed their training, we are working hard to improve all areas of the hotel and I will look at this further myself. Thank you for drawing this to my attention.

It is pleasing to read your comments about the public areas, and I will ensure Dan our Head Chef gets to see your comment that his team made good food.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here over the easter break for three nights with other family members 6 adults in all.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.The rooms were clean but quite dated,the shower in our room did not work despite it being "fixed".The conservatory has lovely views overlooking the gardens but the furniture is so uncomfortable and rather cheap looking.The decor overall could do with an update to a more tradtional lakeland inn theme.We had acess to lovely Spa facilities a short drive away which was a real bonus.
The food however leaves much to be desired,most of what we had was bland and tasteless,the vegetables were unedible arriving cold ,and most were frozen.Roast beef was served with frozen yorkshires,frozen corgettes,green beans and sweetcorn,a strange tasteless combination.
There was little evidence of any fresh ingredients used in any of the meals.It is owned by Sheerings holidays and I suppose this mass marketing of catering uses the cheapest of ingredients.My opinion is that this hotel has potential due to its setting to be really good but is let down by lack of attention to detail.It lacks any sense of individual identity which is a pity.But I guess you get what you pay for ,and overall we had a good time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

I am delighted to see the staff praised for being "helpful and friendly"

I am however suprised and disappointed with your comments about the food, these comments are very contrasting in comparison to those in other reviews as well as on guest comment cards. Regardless I will look into this area and thank you for mentioning this.

Our spa facility arrangement is very good, and something which I try to use when I get the opportunity! - It is good that the facility is being utilised and well recieved by guests.

I hope that we may see you again soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have stayed here twice now (that's recommendation in itself !)

We thought about a room upgrade, but then decided the standard rooms are OK, they have
All you need.

The food is excellent, and they have improved the breakfast servings since our first stay, it's better
Now, well done !

Lovely huge gardens with ducks pond and even private lakeside area.
Keswick is great, and about 15-25 mins walk, depending on pace, and is a nice little walk, to take
After eating, when in Keswick we like to sample the shopping and the pubs, its a really friendly place and we will be returning again and again !

We have been to Keswick about six times now - and the sun has shone every time ! We can't believe it either, but it has. Can't guarantee It of course, but, you never know.

There is a spa with a pool but as yet we have never had to use it, but it looks good...

Room Tip: Can upgrade if you want a nicer room, refurbishing the whole hotel slowly.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is always good to recieve feedback, especially from returning guests.

Our standard rooms are of a fair standard and as you have said "they have all you need"

To read that you found our food excellent is wonderful and I will ensure the kitchen team get to see your comments. We are always striving to improve and it is good to read that we have made improvements which have been noticed by our guests.

I hope that you will visit again soon - however can you give me some warning as if you can arrange the sun (again!) I will make the most of it.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We usually stay in a wonderful bed and breakfast in Keswick but chose this hotel as it meant that we could stay for one night only. We booked through late rooms and got a very good deal. I certainly wouldn't have liked to pay any more. We stayed in a standard room which was fairly roomy. The decor was unbelievably twee and needs urgent redecoration. I personally found the bed hard (my husband said he slept like a log). The bathroom wasn't as clean as I would expect with quite a bit of dust round the bath. The shower was the biggest problem. Water pressure was poor and the temperature varied at will between boiling and freezing. This meant that I was unable to have a decent shower after a 12 mile hike. This is a basic of a hotel and should be something that is possible for the hotel to sort out. Public areas appear to have been recently redecorated and are very nice. The bar is lovely with great views and reasonable prices. Breakfast was average but at only £6.95 I can't really complain. I would however have preferred to have paid more for better quality ingredients. The grounds are wonderful and we did enjoy a post breakfast wander to the lake. Personally, the issue of the shower and uncomfortable beds would stop me staying here again. I think that with the quality of bed and breakfasts in the Keswick area, this hotel needs serious investment if it is to compete.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read your comments, but will take time to address where possible the issues raised.

Our lounge is very beautiful and was indeed refurbished not long ago, there are futher plans to invest into some bedrooms in the next 12 months.

I once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife & I stayed at this hotel during Easter week,we really enjoyed our stay ,the food was great,the staff were really polite & helpful,there was a nice path down to the lakeside.So all in all we thought it an ideal place to stay & go sight-seeing from.this is from Mr L Barker

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor very near the lift,if you want you can ask for a room with a view of t...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, such review are vital to helping us improve the hotel.

I am delighted with your comments, and will ensure the team get to read them.

I hope that with so much in the area to see you will join us again soon.

David McDonald

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
Inn on the Square
Inn on the Square
#7 of 17 in Keswick
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!