“Pamper yourselves at Portinscale”

The Derwentwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portinscale
Reviewed November 20, 2012

From Wayfarer Bill.
Just returned from a friday to monday break at the Derwentwater Hotel. Half board, 3 nights £258. Canna be bad value that. Room, although not the best view,119, it was cosy, warm, clean and ample to me and my wifes' needs. Food was exceptional. Bordering on al a carte. Me personally, usually having no plate showing at home, had reservations when courses arrived. fear not. Tasty, plenty and presented artistically and piping hot. Nothing more required other than a longer stay! Blessed with sunshine it showed the hotel, garden and conservatory in true splendour. Staff were very polite and accommodating. Very worthy of a tip in the gratuities box at the restaurant door. Will definately be back. Shop around for offers via Newspaper voucher numbers. You could save a bundle while spending a little.

Room Tip: Like I said in my review. Shop around and compare the price. You will be surprised.
1  Thank WayfarerBill
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Wayfarer Bill,

I am glad that you found your room 119 most comfortable for your weekend break.

It is good to hear that you found our food exceptional. I will pass this on to Dan our head chef who will be delighted to hear your comments.

I do hope that you return to the Derwentwater for more pampering in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Derwentwater Hotel

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just returned from a weekend break at the Derwentwater Hotel. We made our booking through Travel Republic and we chose the deluxe room option. On arrival at the hotel we were given room 152. I was rather apprehensive as we had stayed in this room 5 years ago, however, as it was a deluxe room i assumed it must have been one of the refurbished rooms. Wrong. It was the same room only now much shabbier. The cabinet that had housed the t,v, now had a flat screen t.v. plonked on the top of it which was totally at odds with the very old furniture in the room. The ironing board attatched to the wall had a dirty cover hanging off it. There were two old mismatching armchairs. The dressing gowns provided were grey and not at all fluffy and there was some old fruit in a bowl. The only good thing about the room were the fantastic views from the large windows. As the hotel was full we knew it would be pointless asking to be moved, but we were so disappointed. We have stayed at the Derwentwater quite a few times over the years but fear that this may have been our last visit. Such a shame because the conservatory and gardens are lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room
1  Thank worthyone

I am sorry that you found our superior room not to your liking. We have recently upgraded all the televisions throughout the hotel and the manor apartments to flat screen, freeview televisions. The delux rooms at the hotel offer the most amazing views over derwentwater and are decorated in keeping with the style of the building, our superior rooms have all been refurbished to a high modern standard and perhaps they would be more suited to you if you do decide to return.
The dressing gowns are laundered off site and are in excellent condition as are the slippers that are also provided on the delux package.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 day midweek birthday treat at the Derwentwater Hotel.
It's in a great location for interesting easy local walks around the lake and for the more adventurous, adjacent hilly area's. Also car parking is free!!
For the whole package and facilities, it is very difficult to beat on price.
I can highly recommend it for a nice,quiet & relaxing break in the Lake District.
The hotel rooms are very clean, cosy & serviced very efficiently every day.
The restaurant service was efficient, the weeks menu was varied enough for all tastes, food came hot on the plate, very tasty & very well presented.
We found the hotel staff to be very friendly, polite & efficient.
We have stayed here before and would not hesitate to return again.
It speaks volumes when fellow guests return year upon year.
Sad to see the negative comments, the staff work really hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible but will always have difficult clients very hard to please.
Why do people always expect fantastic 5* accommodation for low cost ?

Room Tip: If it's a special occasion I would recommend to go for an upgrade room, If you are on a budget o...
1  Thank T0ny58

Dear Tony,

I am glad that your birthday celebrations went well here at the Derwentwater.

It is very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your holiday including the clean comfortable accommodation, the fresh home prepared meals and the gorgeous surroundings.
It was also pleasing to note that you found my staff both friendly and efficient, this means so much to the team and I will pass on your comments.
I look forward to seeing you again next year

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I visited the hotel with my sister. Its a bit soul-less really and I didn't like it. I did witness hotel dining staff being rude to someone (not directly to me) and it did feel a bit like a school canteen in the dining room at breakfast. I would't go back and I should have looked at trip advisor first because I noticed that any negative feedback is responded to in a defensive way by Derwentwater Hotel manager(s) and I think it looks bad on them to not be gracious in the face of feedback whether good or bad.

Can I add a positive by saying that the link with the spa facility at a nearby location is a big plus.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel for better service.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Drorah B
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for your view.

I am sorry that you and your sister didn't find the hotel being run to your satisfaction, I can assure you that we take all feedback both positive and negative seriously and I act on all constructive feedback where necessary.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our luxury partner spa at Oxleys.

regards

Michael

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend with my sister. didn't like it. Hotel was tired and it felt to me to unprofessionally run - some of the staff were impolite. I should have looked at Trip Advisor before we went. I notice that management seem to be defensive about traveller's poor experiences at their hotel which is surprising. They should be gracious and promise to improve.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dbirv

Dear Reviewer,

Sorry to hear that you did not like your stay. I am suprised to hear that you found some staff to be impolite, the staff are highly trained in customer care and we do strive to offer fantastic service.

I hope you reconsider and give us another try.

As you can see from the many positive responses on trip advisor and other sites that this hotel does strive to and delivers excellent customer service to our guests.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Recently stayed for 3 nights in a 1-bed self-catering apartment at Derwent Manor Apartments. We were really impressed and would definitely stay again.

The apartment was very spacious, decor a bit dated (flowery carpets etc) but we expected that and it is part of the Lakeland charm!

We were surprised at how well equipped the kitchen was – the usual toaster, kettle and microwave etc, but also a blender, dishwasher, breadbin, foil for the baking tray, plenty of crockery/cutlery and good, clean pans in a variety of sizes.

The bed was massive (it was 2 singles pushed together but the bedding was double so it felt like one huge bed. Curtains pretty much blocked all light which ensured a good sleep in, and we didn’t hear any other guests despite it being booked up for half term.

For me the main benefit of this accommodation, which you rarely find, was the combination of the space and flexibility of an apartment , with the convenience and service of a hotel (you can use all the hotel facilities over the road as if you are a hotel guest). We saved money by having breakfast and some dinners in our apartment, and enjoyed the extra space of the living room for playing games and relaxing in, but then we used the hotel reception for things like getting taxis when we wanted them, taking advantage of the free day in a local health club spa (a fantastic way to spend a rainy day in the Lakes!), we enjoyed a couple of drinks in the hotel bar, and used the lobby’s free wifi.

There is a footpath connecting Portinscale to Keswick, takes about 15mins to walk in, or a taxi is just under £5 if it is raining or late (I wouldn’t fancy tackling the footpath in the dark).

We would definitely go back, and although some people like hotels, I would go for an apartment here over the hotel option every time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am pleased that you found everything about your stay to your satisfaction. The apartments are really well appointed and I am thrilled that you found it spacious and that it had all the ameneties that you needed during your stay.

i am pleased that you used the hotel facilites across in our sister hotel and that you found the wifi and bar service excellent.

I look forward to meeting you again in the future at the Derwentmanor Apartments

regards

Michael

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We recently spent a lovely week in the Derwent Manor Apartments which are run by the Derwentwater Hotel. We have stayed in both the apartments and the hotel previously and where quite disappointed with the hotel las time so we opted for the apartments again. We stay in self catering houses/apartment about 4/5 times per year and this last stay in Buttermere apartment is probably the best yet. The apartment was spotlessly clean, comfortably furnished and very well equipped with the added surprise of a welcome pack of bread, eggs, milk, juice and a tray of tea and coffee - we also received a gift of wine because we were returning customers - we have never had this anywere else. Also included are a free Sunday newpaper and complimentary breakfast in the hotel on the day of departure. The Manor is a lovely old building and there was very little sound from the other apartments and the added bonus (for Keswick) of loads of parking spaces.

The staff, under the quidance of the new(ish) manager were very friendly and efficient - although sometimes we had to go looking for them to be served at the bar or reception. Another bonus for a 7 night stay is a 25% discount voucher for any meals purchased in the hotel which we took advantage of for a bar lunch and dinner one evening. The food at this hotel has improved greatly since we stayed here a few years ago and we had a lovely meal which was very reasonably priced (even more so with the discount).

We are obviously not the only ones to be impressed by the apartments and the improvements to the hotel because as I was booking online for next year someone beat me to it by seconds - I did manage to get a later week.

The only downsides are the duvets on the beds - we much prefer top sheets and blankets, but we omitted to ask for them so our fault really.

The manager and all of his staff were very nice; the cleaners in the apartments, Marie and the other girl who showed us around the Manor, whose name I didn't catch but I hope your cold's better; the barman/waiter from Tenerife and the girls who served us our complimentary breakfast on our last day.

As I said we have already booked for next September and if we hadn't already booked our earlier visits to Keswick we would have chosen Derwentwater again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mcleary53, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review of the Derwentwater self catering apartments, I am glad you found the apartments and the food at the hotel to your satisfaction and we look forward to your next visit.

If you require sheets and blankets on your next visit just let us know and we will have the apartment exactly how you want it prepared.

see you again soon

regards Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinscale
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#12 of 17 in Keswick
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Derwentwater Hotel? Share your experiences!