Derwent Bank
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Castlerigg)
$168
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewshf holidaysboot roomwalking holidayself guidedextensive gardensevening entertainmentlovely view over the lakehotel is beautifully situatedrooms are recently refurbishedpacked lunchexcellent hotelbooked last minutecountry housegreat place to staylake districtwalkerssummits
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I am a frequent visitor to Keswick and surrounding area, and I love the place to bits. I should also mention that I have worked in the Hospitality Trade for many years and I have been a Concierge for two years.
Following a walk round the lake in very wet weather, I decided to visit a few cafes and bars to make a change. I arrived at the Dewrwent Bank Cafe, following the directions, in a super mood, and thinking what a lovely smell of cooking is coming from the cafe. When I entered I was stopped by the rudest concierge I have ever met. I was aggressively questioned about weather i was 'staying.' To which I replied that I just wanted the cafe. There was no sign of a welcome just an aggressive, 'well this is the cafe', as if I was either a criminal or completely stupid. Following this, I was rudely ogled by a biker-type guest (nothing against bikers, both my husband and myself are bikers, this is merely a desciption). The guest then made a completely unnecessary comment, 'you look confused!'. This probably wouldn't have been said to a male.
Upon that, I just didn't want to stay in such a vile, sarcastic atmosphere. The cafe was nearly empty...Im not surprized!!! Little do these ignoramuses realise that I may have gone in as a lone female, but I was with a large group, who would have been willing to all eat and drink. BIG MISTAKE.
Its such a shame that there is still so much prejudice around.
Go to the Derwentwater Hotel down the road, a much better atmosphere and a great lounge and gardens, good prices too.
My other reviews prove without a doubt that I never normally complain.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank rachelle68
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Breakfast was excellent and served to order. Good hearty dinners, but rather uninteresting. Service was prompt but there were too many arguments with guests over what they had ordered.

Room was quite small - probably more often used as a single than a double - but with beautiful views. The shower room was tiny - only one of us could get in at a time!

Very comfortable public rooms.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple