“what a nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hampshire Hog

The Hampshire Hog
Ranked #1 of 2 Clanfield B&B and Inns
Gosport, United Kingdom
“what a nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We returned to The Hampshire Hog for our first wedding anniversary. After we had checked in into the Superior room, we decided to stay and eat in the pub instead of going out. The menu is not extensive and I do not believe that to be a problem as I can never make up my mind anyway!. We thought we had both decided and then out came the waitress with another couples fish and chips and quickly changed our mind as they looked scrummy. And indeed they were scrummy, served on newspaper too. After filling ourselves on the huge portion we were asked if we wanted dessert, when I mentioned to the girl (Connie, I believe?) that I couldn't eat yet but I really wanted the cheeseboard, she said that that wasn't a problem and to let her know when we wanted it. We sat on the sofa and had a lovely relaxing evening and after 90 minutes I felt ready for my cheeseboard. It was huge! So much so that I needed more crackers to go with the lovely cheese. All the staff were lovely and quick to help if needed. The breakfast the next morning was lovely, I had the duck egg and marmite soldiers and my husband had the full english, yum. All in all this is a very nice place to stay and I suggest you try it out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lucy a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed 1 night in the Hampshire Hog on a business trip, the hotel (once we found it - don't follow your sat nav!!) was nice and well presented.
The room was clean and tidy and had everything you need, and the bar / restaurant are was nice and had a good atmosphere going on.
I ate in the bar with a colleague and the food was of good quality, albeit re-heated, the wine in my opinion was a little pricey for a pub type meal at about £14 something a bottle... and the ale was a bit flat as it was poured without a sparkler... notwithstanding this we had a decent tasting meal and a nice glass of wine in a good environment.
The hotel was good overall but the main problem was this, I stayed in room number 2 and there must be an air conditioner or chiller or something attached nearby as there was a constant drone all night and I didn't sleep a wink due to the incessant humming noise. I explained to the receptionist in the morning but to be honest they didn't really seem interested. So sorry guys, nice hotel but next time I'm down that way I'll be looking for somewhere I can get a good nights sleep first and foremost. A hotel where you can't sleep is about as much use as a car with 3 wheels.

Room Tip: Don't get room number 2
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Check in was fast and efficient, Paid a good price for the double room through Late Rooms.com.
The room was nice,but no better standard than a travel lodge etc. The bathroom looked like it could do with a thorough clean in places. There was dark mold on the shower grout that started to come off easily with a scrape,so with a good scrub it could be cleaned. There were toothpaste splashes on the door frame and the tiles by the sink and the shower screen could have done with a scrub. The shower head also required me to scrape the water outlets with my nail to get all the jets to work, again nothing good of a good clean would sort this out. A bit of a disappointment after reading the Fullers website about the Hampshire Hog. There is also no air conditioning/heater unit on the wall as they have normal radiators, but you have no control over these. In this day and age you'd expect units on the wall like most hotels. My wife and I were looking forward to eating there after reading the website but felt very let down by a lack of choice on the menu and only a few items on the specials board, most of which would be on a normal pub menu. The price of the food was too high for what I felt was normal pub grub. It was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of a city centre though. The only way the Hog out does a Prem Inn etc is that it includes breakfast wich is of a very good standard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt J
sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed one night,room large & comfortable,bar food was good. Breakfast was really good with good quality bacon. Would stay again. No fridge in room but communal fridge in corridor.Well sign posted from A3

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights 1st-3rd Oct as part of my 50th birthday celebrations, stayed in the superior room well worth the extra for a special treat. The room was well equiped with a large comfy bed and the bathroom was very beautifully furnished, the breakfast was fantastic a very good selection both hot and cold, the food itself both in the morning and in the evening was excellent ,hot and very tasty,a lovely selection of wines and beers (liked the HSB) and all the staff were very friendly, even offering to help us at the weekly quiz night which was great fun (even though we came last) will stay again bofause of the nice atomsphere and great location. Represents excellent value for money with a touch class.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank speedwellers
Beverley ,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed three nights B & B at 'The Hog' . Easy access to Portsmouth . Large modern room , very clean and well kept , comfortable bed , no fridge ; quiet location ,although you can hear the faint hum of traffic from the A3 if you keep your window open but it is very, very faint .Some rooms have baths . The 'hotel' is in a quiet location and has a large secluded and secure car park at the rear . The service is excellent and with a smile ! Good choice of breakfasts and some portions are huge ,will gladly make reasonable alterations to what's on offer .Paid £65.00 per night per room and we would certainly go back . Pub food looked a bit on the pricey side but didn't try it ,portions looked pretty large and they were very busy ! Eclectic range of shops in nearby Clanfield including a Co-op and Indian Resto as well as takeaways ! Good range of eateries in Petersfield which is a pleasant small town just over five min. away . Would recommend 'The Hog '. Winchester about 30min away .

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem to have 2 easy chairs compared to one downstairs.All rooms are quiet .
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed 1 night for business when usual hotel full - very very good stay (I upgraded room and it was worth it)

Really big room and comfy bed. Quiet and good food in the restaurant on an evening (Fajitas were amazing!)

Breakfast was outstanding and freshly prepared from the breakfast menu. Very nice atmosphere and will look to stop here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clanfield
Park House Hotel & Spa
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews

Been to The Hampshire Hog? Share your experiences!