“BEAUTIFUL LOCATION AND GREAT FOOD”
Review of Manta Restaurant

Manta Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 88 Restaurants in Kohala Coast
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In the mornings, the open-air bay view restaurant is home to a legendary breakfast buffet with made-to-order waffles and omelets, fresh tropical fruits and juices, healthy whole-grain cereals and tasty pastries. With the sunset, the ambiance changes as Mauna Kea Beach Hotel chefs prepare fresh culinary dinner delights in Manta's exhibition kitchen and the Bar & Lounge area come to life. The restaurant's award-winning wine list enhances the dining experience.
Thousand Oaks, California
“BEAUTIFUL LOCATION AND GREAT FOOD”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The view is lovely and it is wonderful to dine outside and enjoy the beauty of Hawaii. The food was delicious and service was excellent. I was impressed that they knew I was Gluten Free since my HH had asked them prior to our arrival. This was first time I was offered a Gluten Free bread basket at a restaurant. Usually I have to watch my HH enjoy a bread basket. It was a treat for me. We enjoyed our fresh fish, especially the Seared Dayboat Scallops. Of course, the final offering of the pastel macadamia nut candy is the perfect ending.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank GFFoodWineLover
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Manta Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
We thank you for your comments and are happy you enjoyed your "Gluten Free" dinner with us. Hope you'll return soon and enjoy the views...and another great meal. Mahalo.

Sun City, California
“Wonderful food, wonderful surroundings”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Manta is the really nice restaurant attached to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. We tried to eat there the first two nights we were there but it was closed. It was worth the wait. From the moment we arrived we could tell it was a first class restaurant. We sat outside with a beautiful view of the hotel grounds. Our meals were wonderful. My wife had the filet mignon; I had some great fish. A piano player, actually a man playing a keyboard, was very nice. It was pricey but you're outside, in Hawaii, at a great restaurant with wonderful food and service. This restaurant is great and I highly recommend it, whether or not you're staying at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank DTM46
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Manta Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Aloha and thank you for dining with us! We're happy you enjoyed your dinner and hope you'll return and dine with us again soon.
Austin, Texas
“Really enjoyed it!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Our party of 8 had dinner here and really enjoyed it. We sat outside and the views are unbeatable. The service was top notched. I had filet mignon and it was wonderful. If I had to give one downside to the evening it would be that after the sun set, it got very dark. So much so that I couldn't really even see the food on my plate in detail. The server told us since a storm was expected, they put up extra canopy covers which blocked out some additional lighting. So maybe normally the lighting wouldn't be so dark.

We had a fantastic time here!

Visited July 2014
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Manta Restaurant, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
We're happy you enjoyed your dinner at Manta and appreciate your comment about the lighting. Our menu is evolving continously so we hope you'll return to enjoy dinner again soon. Mahalo.
“The food is just OK. Eat at Merrimans in Waimea instead.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The setting of this restaurant is really fabulous--beautiful ocean and beach views with indoor and outdoor dining. The manu seemed great about a decade ago, but now it seems very very tired. If they could upgrade the food to a destination restaurant, this resort would be perfect in every way. As it is for this vacation, we are only eating at Manta once, and driving to Waimea the other 5 nights to eat at Merriman's, which is over the top fabulous in every way when it comes to food. If only Manta were so good. The night we ate at Manta this trip, my wife got a "Goat Cheese Marshmallow" appetizer. Imagine a sweet marshmallow that tasted like goat cheese, on a plate with mangos and beets. The flavors were just weird--and we are a couple who like adventurous, sometimes weird foods, if the flavor combinations work. The flavor combinations at Manta do not always work so well. While from the description my wife was expecting a fluffy goat cheese something, she was not expecting a genuine goat cheese flavored sweet marshmallow with the texture of a marshmallow. She couldn't even eat the feature item on the plate, it was that disgusting. Her "Batik Curry" was also very uninspiring, and seemed a bit tired. My scallops were very good, but nothing special. It is just like the menu is 10-15 years old and the options are for a much older generation, like the options are on life support. Having said all of that, the highlights of the meal were the Mai Tai's, and the not to be missed Lilikoi Soufflé's with a creme anglaise sauce Really--I think they have the best Lillikoi soufflé's on the planet bar none, and i have had a lot of soufflés in my life and make myself very well. If only the food here overall were as good as a Ritz Carlton or perhaps the Saffire Freycinet Hotel in Tasmania (which is over the top unparalleled for hotel dining). Manta really needs a new chef, one who is inspiring in his menu options. There is a reason that Merriman's in Waimea is booked up with tourists who drive up the hill every night--the food is way, way better, and less expensive as well. Manta could be that good, if the management decided that it was a priority. We loved this restaurant 9 years ago, but unless something changes, we will not look forward to coming back again.

• Visited July 2014
MaunaKeaResort, Owner at Manta Restaurant, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for your remarks. You'll be interested to know that our new executive chef who has been on board less than a month is looking forward to enhancing the dining experience at our signature restaurant.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Sunday brunch.”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Not quite as big as when we were here last and it was on the main patio of the Mauna Kea but it was still fantastic. Great food quality. We opened the place up and closed it down. It was a very pleasant way to spend part of the day. Even told a couple that we met at the luau the day before who were leaving later on Sunday that they should come by and have brunch.

Visited June 2014
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Manta Restaurant, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Aloha and thank you for enjoying the Sunday brunch at Manta & Pavillion Wine Bar. It is truly an island tradition and we pride ourselves in great food and service with aloha. Hope you'll return soon. Mahalo.