“Three course dinner with coffee and after dinner drink in 50 minutes!”
Review of Manta Restaurant

Manta Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 88 Restaurants in Kohala Coast
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In the mornings, the open-air bay view restaurant is home to a legendary breakfast buffet with made-to-order waffles and omelets, fresh tropical fruits and juices, healthy whole-grain cereals and tasty pastries. With the sunset, the ambiance changes as Mauna Kea Beach Hotel chefs prepare fresh culinary dinner delights in Manta's exhibition kitchen and the Bar & Lounge area come to life. The restaurant's award-winning wine list enhances the dining experience.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had high expectations for this dinner, the setting is absolutely perfect for a romantic dinner and we were seated promptly. We chose the timing so that we could watch the beautiful sunset. The waitress introduced herself and asked our names. I thought that to be a little odd, but thought she wanted to check if we were guests in the hotel. Yes, we were. We were going to order a glass of wine each, but we were put in an uncomfortable position by the waitress trying to sell us a bottle even after we repeatedly said, that I don't drink much and we would not finish the bottle. She suggested that it would be more economical, even tried to do the math for us! Really? As soon as we finished our appetizers and put down the fork our main orders arrived.Take a breath and continue. Just about halfway thru we were asked if we knew what we wanted for dessert? Because if we wanted chocolate souffle we would have to order soon because it takes 15 minutes!!! My husband told her that we don't know yet but we will take a look at the dessert menu. Of course,he did not mean while we were still eating, but the menu arrived promptly. Now I was really getting annoyed. It caused an unnecessary tension, since I thought it was totally inappropriate to be rushed thru an expensive dinner like this. I was not about to look at the dessert menu, while still "enjoying" the main course. Even if i wanted the soufflé I was willing to wait ,take a break, linger a little, and enjoy the sunset. We ordered the desserts and my husband ordered coffee and after dinner drink,( not really his routine) just to make the dinner last longer.
And by the way, when you are on vacation, take the 15min. it takes to prepare the soufflé (if you still want it after you have eaten a big meal) and wait for it, while watching the sunset.
Overall the food was good, some interesting choices and combinations(I had tuna and foie gras as a main course) and I only wish we had more time to really enjoy it.
It was definitely the poor service that brought the rating down to the three stars. Disappointing!

2  Thank Wenovo
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Manta Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Aloha and mahalo for your remarks. We are researching your comments so that we can continually improve and ensure memorable dining for all our guests. We apologize that we fell short during your visit. We hope you'll return one day and enjoy a superlative experience at Manta & Pavilion Wine Bar. Aloha.

There are newer reviews for Manta Restaurant

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Manta again gave us a wonderful evening. For our large group of 10 we enjoyed the Chinese New Year buffet dinner this year. The food was plentiful and the wine was superb. The view is amazing and makes us return annually. Thanks for keeping up our family traditions.

Mahalo for dining with us at Manta & Pavilion Wine Bar and celebrating with friends and family. We appreciate your positive review and are happy to be a part of your family tradition. We'll look forward to your return. Aloha.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was our 4th trip to the Big Island- First visit to the Muana Kea resort. We have stayed in Hotels (Not Mauna Kea) - Condo's - VRBO's and even Apartment type condo's. This visit was 13 days in a Condo near Mauna Lani Resort (Just about 8-10 Miles south of Mauna Kea). We had a 6:45 PM reservation (Friday Night) and arrived about 8 minutes early. We were greeted by a very grumpy Hostess who promptly informed us of the EARLY arrival "PROBLEM" and pointed to a row of empty tables to "go sit at" and wait for the table to be ready. There were about 12-15 tables vacant at the time in the dining patio area in front of us. We waited about 10-12 minutes and would have loved a Mai Tai while waiting but not one person acknowledged our presence. I finally flagged down a wait staff member and asked about getting a drink. She said she would send someone over but that never happened. At the 18 Minute mark the hostess returned to seat us at the VACANT table of our choice- I asked for a small "Deuce-Top" out front and told those WERE NOT AVAILABLE. She seated us at a 6 top which was vacant the entire time we were seated in the wait area along with an 8 top and several 4 tops- When I expressed our "CONCERNS" over no one offering a cocktail or glass of wine while waiting, we were told that with a credit card, we could have served ourselves a glass of wine form the "MECHANICAL" wine dispensers up at the bar area. I live in Napa and am an experienced wine "Consumer". This suggestion was typical of the rest of the night. "Mechanical,Robot,Careless service with no personality. The food was unremarkable, bland, and garnished with little attention to detail. The Day boat Scallops were very tasty but the accompanying fish (Small piece on the Scallop Plate) was overcooked and dry- Two Scallops and some small vegetables with a small piece of fish for $40+ Dollars was steep and barely warm while tasting good. I also had a salad with arugula and fried goat cheese which was well presented but had what seemed like only some oil on it- It badly needed some acid (Good vinegar or Lime Juice) to round it out- I even had to salt and pepper the salad to wake up the taste a bit.We ordered the Chocolate souffle as we were told it would take an extra 15-20 minutes- It took 44 minutes to get presented to the table and was hot but slightly UNDER BAKED- I like liquid center souffles but this was "EGGY LIQUID" which is not appetizing at all- My wife and I split an appetizer-salad - entree and souffle as well as two glasses of wine for her and a tall Vodka soda with lime for me and the bill was $190.00 plus tip !! I needed to ask for water refills twice.
The entire visit was reflected in the lack of staff and personality of the staff that was actually working that night. They seemed like robots with no smile program!! I asked the bar tender for two 10's to break a 20 so I could tip the Valet at the car valet service and was told that it would take quite awhile as he needed to go elsewhere for change- When I finally got my rental car, the seat (and mirrors) were moved all the way up and not returned to their original position The next morning I realized they had scraped the front bum per which I needed to buy some rubbing compound the next day so I could rub it out myself-
The entire experience was just not up to par with any 4-5 star resort in ANY area-
MECHANICAL WINE BAR ?? Are you serious?? Not sure about anyone else but I want some interaction with someone when I pay $2.00 - $3.00 per once for good wine. Good selection of wines but needed some personality to go with it!!
I would spned by hard earned dollars elsewhere if given the choice in the future- Seems as though you are treated like second class people if you are NOT staying at the resort - The setting - beach and view are above average but not worthy of the price in my opinion- I am always pleased to give good reviews when they are due - This just didn't get it and neither does the staff or management at this resort. Mahalo - BW/Napa

1  Thank BrianNapaCa_
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Manta Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

We are disheartened by your comments regarding your experience at Manta, we apologize, and we are researching each aspect. Regarding the wine "dispenser," we thought it may be helpful for you to know that Enomatic is the worldwide leader in the field of wine serving technology. Enomatic is the first company in the world to create a system capable of preserving wine for up to 4 weeks and to serve it perfectly, giving everyone the chance to taste a variety of premium wines by the glass. We are very proud to offer the Enomatic system to our discerning clientele and have enjoyed very positive feedback. Mahalo and aloha.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We were staying in the Mauna Kea Resort Kumulani condominiums this year, but wanted to have at least one dinner at the Mauna Kea Manta restaurant. We were graciously received by the restaurant manager after making a last minute resevation and had a superlative meal from start to finish. The music was sublime and the entire experience was lovely. We even received complimenary desserts with extra aloha. Everything you expect from a top notch property.

We're delighted you were able to enjoy a very special dinner with us at Manta. We hope your travels will bring you to Mauna Kea Resort again soon and that Manta Restaurant will once again enjoy your company. Mahalo.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I didn't write a review when we at here some months ago, even though it was fabulous, but this time I just had to take the time. Our dinner at Manta a couple of weeks ago was one of the best meals we have ever had. My husband said that the lamb chops were the best he had ever had in his life and I felt the same way about my pork chop. We had never had pork belly and tried the appetizer and it was also amazing. On another night we tried a couple of the desserts and they were equally yummy. We highly recommend this restaurant -- the quality of the food and the service were both outstanding. Can't wait to return!

2  Thank Napansontheroad

We appreciate your many positive comments - we have happily shared them with our hardworking team. Mahalo for taking the time and we look forward to your return! Aloha.