“Great food and service as always”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 89 Restaurants in Kohala Coast
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Queen Kaahumanu Highway
Description: In 1965, Ruth Fertel mortgaged her home to buy a little steak house in New Orleans named Chris Steak House. After investing her life savings, she proudly added her name to the original. That's how the uniquely name Ruth's Chris Steak House was born. Ruth established this unique restaurant with no restaurant experience, but she vowed to treat every customer like a guest in her own home. And she clearly knew what steak lovers wanted - the very best beef. Today, as always, Ruth's Chris serves only the finest corn-fed Midwestern beef available, broiled in 1800-degree ovens designed by Ruth herself. The steaks are served sizzling on 500-degree plates so every bite is hot and delicious. And while steak is king, the menu also includes expertly executed seafood, lamb, pork, and poultry dishes, as well as classic appetizers, fresh salads, side dishes, and homemade desserts. The award-winning wine list features more than 250 world-class international and domestic labels. Whatever the occasion, Ruth's Chris Steak House is the perfect spot to gather. Unparalleled cuisine, sumptuous surroundings and service that's accomplished yet never fussy - these are the elements of memorable special events.
Sarasota
“Great food and service as always”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I ate here one evening while we were staying at the Mauna Lani Bay hotel. As always the food and service were excellent, just what you would expect at a Ruth's Chris restaurant

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had an amazing dinner here, as one of our last nights on the Big Island. Service was good (but not extraordinary), and the meal was delicious! We shared the clams for an appy, which featured a great sauce, but the clams themselves were incredibly small. We also shared a side of asparagus, which were tasty.

My girlfriend ordered the rack of lamb, which was cooked perfectly! It was incredibly tender, and flavorful. I had the surf and turf (my steak was cooked a perfect med-rare, which so many other restaurants these days fine hard to do; but the lobster was tough and overcooked). All in all, a wonderful dinner!

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Another great steakhouse of this chain in a wonderful location”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have never had a bad meal in a Ruth's Chris steakhouse. This one is located between the Mauna Lani and Fairmont Orchid Resorts. The food was excellent (as usual) and the service was excellent (as desired but occasionally not up to par). I highly recommend this restaurant, even though the prices are high..

Visited November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Care for a little steak with your butter?”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love steak and I've had some great steak dinners in my time. This was not one of them. My primary "beef" is that they use the old trick of smothering their steaks in butter to make them seem more moist and tasty. The result is an extra unhealthy overly rich piece of meat that I didn't even want to finish. To boot, my steak was a bit tough.

I debated talking to the waiter about it but he was flying around handling way too many customers so I didn't even bother. I'm sure this place has served some excellent meals in its time but this night was definitely off.

Abbotsford, Canada
“25% off bottles of wine on Wednesday”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We often eat at Ruth's Chris and everytime we are in Waikoloa we always eat at the Ruth's Chris here. This is one of the better restaurants in their chain.

When you call for reservations they will ask if you are celebrating any special occasion - anniversary, birthday etc. When you are seated the waiter/waitress will introduce themselves and confirm your name - Are you Mr. and Mrs ?. Then they call you by name all evening. What a lovely personal touch. We had the lovely Lisa as our waitress and the service she provided was simply superb. The water was kept topped up all evening and the wine was also topped up as required. She has such a great personality and a pleasant smile. She checked on us frequently during the course of the evening to see that everything was okay. The manager also stopped by the table to ensure that we did not have issues with the food or service. If you dine between 5:00 and 6:00 they have a prix fix menu that is excellent value. There is 1 menu for $42.95 and another menu for $52.95. The only difference in the 2 menus is that the $52.95 menu offers a few more expensive entrees. There is a choice of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 2 desserts.

We ordered off the prix fix menu. I went with the $42.95 option and my husband had the $52.95 option. For appetizers I had the Louisiana gumbo soup and my husband had the steakhouse salad (the other option was Caesar salad) The louisiana gumbo soup was very spicy and had many shrimp in it - very tasty. My husband's salad was also very good. The entrees some with choice of 1 side and the sides are big enough to share. We picked mashed potatoes and mushrooms for our sides and petite filet for me and 16 oz rib eye for my husband. I ordered my petite filet rare and Lisa was very careful to explain that the centre would be red and cool. The was fine with me. The steaks are brought to the table on hot plates and the steaks are sizzling in butter when they are presented to you. Ruth's Chris steaks are absolute perfection. You really do not need any additional seasoning. In all the times that I've eaten at Ruth's Chris I've never had a steak that was not of the highest quality. When we first sat down my husband had told Lisa that we were in no rush and she were absolutely exceptional in taking care of us. When we had finished our appetizers and the plates were cleared she waited about 15 or 20 minutes and then approached the table. She said she was not rushing us but anytime we were ready she could have our entrees out to us within 5 minutes. When we finished our entrees and she told us what our options for dessert were we told her we would like to take our time and finish our wine first. This was no problem and she just kept an eye on our table. I will mention that the restaurant was very busy this evening so to receive this level or service is truly amazing. For dessert we both had ice cream, vanilla bean for hubby and chocolate brownie for me. Apparently the ice cream is made locally and it was very good.

The room is softly lit and tables are nicely set with fine linens. When we sat down Lisa unfolded out napkins and draped them across our laps for us.

When we left we were asked how our evening was and sent on our way.

Ruth's Chris can be very expensive but if you've never tried their restaurants you should make a trip to this one in Waikoloa. They provide a truly wonderful fine dining experience and they make you feel very special. We always visit when we are in Waikoloa.