“Care for a little steak with your butter?”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 87 Restaurants in Kohala Coast
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Queen Kaahumanu Highway
Description: In 1965, Ruth Fertel mortgaged her home to buy a little steak house in New Orleans named Chris Steak House. After investing her life savings, she proudly added her name to the original. That's how the uniquely name Ruth's Chris Steak House was born. Ruth established this unique restaurant with no restaurant experience, but she vowed to treat every customer like a guest in her own home. And she clearly knew what steak lovers wanted - the very best beef. Today, as always, Ruth's Chris serves only the finest corn-fed Midwestern beef available, broiled in 1800-degree ovens designed by Ruth herself. The steaks are served sizzling on 500-degree plates so every bite is hot and delicious. And while steak is king, the menu also includes expertly executed seafood, lamb, pork, and poultry dishes, as well as classic appetizers, fresh salads, side dishes, and homemade desserts. The award-winning wine list features more than 250 world-class international and domestic labels. Whatever the occasion, Ruth's Chris Steak House is the perfect spot to gather. Unparalleled cuisine, sumptuous surroundings and service that's accomplished yet never fussy - these are the elements of memorable special events.
Vancouver, Canada
“Care for a little steak with your butter?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love steak and I've had some great steak dinners in my time. This was not one of them. My primary "beef" is that they use the old trick of smothering their steaks in butter to make them seem more moist and tasty. The result is an extra unhealthy overly rich piece of meat that I didn't even want to finish. To boot, my steak was a bit tough.

I debated talking to the waiter about it but he was flying around handling way too many customers so I didn't even bother. I'm sure this place has served some excellent meals in its time but this night was definitely off.

• Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Abbotsford, Canada
“25% off bottles of wine on Wednesday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We often eat at Ruth's Chris and everytime we are in Waikoloa we always eat at the Ruth's Chris here. This is one of the better restaurants in their chain.

When you call for reservations they will ask if you are celebrating any special occasion - anniversary, birthday etc. When you are seated the waiter/waitress will introduce themselves and confirm your name - Are you Mr. and Mrs ?. Then they call you by name all evening. What a lovely personal touch. We had the lovely Lisa as our waitress and the service she provided was simply superb. The water was kept topped up all evening and the wine was also topped up as required. She has such a great personality and a pleasant smile. She checked on us frequently during the course of the evening to see that everything was okay. The manager also stopped by the table to ensure that we did not have issues with the food or service. If you dine between 5:00 and 6:00 they have a prix fix menu that is excellent value. There is 1 menu for $42.95 and another menu for $52.95. The only difference in the 2 menus is that the $52.95 menu offers a few more expensive entrees. There is a choice of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 2 desserts.

We ordered off the prix fix menu. I went with the $42.95 option and my husband had the $52.95 option. For appetizers I had the Louisiana gumbo soup and my husband had the steakhouse salad (the other option was Caesar salad) The louisiana gumbo soup was very spicy and had many shrimp in it - very tasty. My husband's salad was also very good. The entrees some with choice of 1 side and the sides are big enough to share. We picked mashed potatoes and mushrooms for our sides and petite filet for me and 16 oz rib eye for my husband. I ordered my petite filet rare and Lisa was very careful to explain that the centre would be red and cool. The was fine with me. The steaks are brought to the table on hot plates and the steaks are sizzling in butter when they are presented to you. Ruth's Chris steaks are absolute perfection. You really do not need any additional seasoning. In all the times that I've eaten at Ruth's Chris I've never had a steak that was not of the highest quality. When we first sat down my husband had told Lisa that we were in no rush and she were absolutely exceptional in taking care of us. When we had finished our appetizers and the plates were cleared she waited about 15 or 20 minutes and then approached the table. She said she was not rushing us but anytime we were ready she could have our entrees out to us within 5 minutes. When we finished our entrees and she told us what our options for dessert were we told her we would like to take our time and finish our wine first. This was no problem and she just kept an eye on our table. I will mention that the restaurant was very busy this evening so to receive this level or service is truly amazing. For dessert we both had ice cream, vanilla bean for hubby and chocolate brownie for me. Apparently the ice cream is made locally and it was very good.

The room is softly lit and tables are nicely set with fine linens. When we sat down Lisa unfolded out napkins and draped them across our laps for us.

When we left we were asked how our evening was and sent on our way.

Ruth's Chris can be very expensive but if you've never tried their restaurants you should make a trip to this one in Waikoloa. They provide a truly wonderful fine dining experience and they make you feel very special. We always visit when we are in Waikoloa.

• Visited November 2012
Minnesota
“Awesome Meal and Awesome Bartender Ron”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took my Mom and sister to this Ruth Chris location after a very expensive and unsatisfactory meal the night before at Roy's. First off we were met by a happy soul Ron, who turned out to be our bartender. We enjoyed him so much we decided to eat at the bar. We shared the BBQ shrimp appetizer, two early bird steak dinners, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, bread pudding and quite a few Martinis. We loved all the food, the atmosphere, the cocktails, and our overall experience. Thanks Ron, for making our night so special!

1 Thank adolson
Chandler, Texas
“Best Place to Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I took my wife and son to eat at Ruth's Chris Steak House to celebrate our 25 anniversary.
The service was outstanding, and for the food my son it best "Dad I never will be able to eat anywhere else. Thanks for making our 25th so special!

• Visited August 2012
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“delicious steak, outstanding service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a delicious steak prix fixed meal, the meat was so tender it melt in our mouths. This restaurant on the Big Island remains true to the same savory fare the mainland Ruth's Chris promotes. The service was outstanding, prompt, professional, and courteous with the portions sizable. If you choose to sit outside you can get an awesome view of the sunset. I would recommend this place highly, you certainly get what you pay for!

• Visited October 2012