“Did somebody use my bathroom?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Metro Hotel Perth

Metro Hotel Perth
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in South Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“Did somebody use my bathroom?”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the Metro Hotel Perth for one week, one among the 15-20 I spend every year in hotels.

Interesting first experience in this hotel as the lobby and corridors do not really look like they belong to a hotel. Staff will expedite you check-in.

Room was big and ready, however my room was positioned towards the city with supposedly a good view except the roof of the podium floor would obfuscate most of the view leaving really light to reach the room.

Nothing to say about cleanliness. However room service could pay more attention to details. Had to a light spot bulb broken for the whole week.

Although I have not tested them, the on-site breakfast/dinner facility look pretty sad as you get to see the lonely souls eating right when exiting the elevator on the ground floor.

One last thing – walls are paper thin, I could swear somebody was using my bathroom.

1 Thank guiw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Metro Hotel is on the Canning Highway not far from the cassino, 20 minutes from the airport and with easy access to the main freeway south. It is clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Hotel prices in Perth are excessive and this is at the lower end however still expensive for what you get.
It is quite an old hotel but has been kept refreshed. The rooms are large with a balcony. Try to get a room on an upper floor with river views, the views of the river and city are spectacular and you will avoid the noise.
They serve a good buffet breakfast and will cook different eggs on request. Unfortunately they have changed the dinner over to buffet as well. They used to have a good menu in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floors with a city view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
CIrvin, General Manager at Metro Hotel Perth, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments, just to let you know our hotel restaurant has reverted back to a la carte rather than buffet service.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

At the end of two weeks of touring the South West corner of WA, my wife and I had a long drive (long by Tasmanian standards) from Albany to Perth, prior to our departure for Tasmania the following day. We used the services of a travel agent to book accommodation and asked for a hotel relatively close to the airport ready for an early departure in the morning, so we did not actually choose this hotel ourselves.
On entering the hotel, I for one was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and decor and eventually on entering our room for the first time I was even further impressed by the room itself. It had obviously been refurbished recently I would say, was very tastefully decorated and contained two enormous king size beds (why I wondered?). The good impressions first created rapidly disappeared during the night!
It is my belief that one should expect to be able to sleep comfortably and without disturbance in a hotel room that cost $209 for the night. Having driven to Perth that day from Albany, I was looking forward to a good night’s rest prior to our flight back to Tasmania the following morning. Sadly this did not eventuate for either myself or my wife.
We were allocated room 20. There is an incredible amount of paraphernalia that is both attached to and surrounding the exterior of this room; I will attempt to include photographs of this with this review. To begin with there is a massive extractor system on the roof directly in front of the room’s window; I presume that this services the kitchen below. Not only does this unit look similar to a jet engine, it makes a similar sound. To the outside wall of the room there is attached a very large what I assume to be an engine/motor of some description, accompanied by a cowling for a ventilation duct and various very large units that look like air-conditioning extractor fans. Throughout the night, one of these units commenced operation every twenty minutes or so with a loud booming sound, accompanied by the continual low frequency hum and distinct vibration of other related equipment that resonated through the room making sleep impossible!

At about 4:30AM it was obvious that sleep was not going to be possible and in frustration and with a degree of anger, I eventually dressed and went to speak to the night manager. He was sympathetic to my complaint and agreed that one should expect to be able to sleep in a room for which I had paid $209. Incredulously, he told me that no one else had ever complained about noise in the hotel or in room 20 specifically. Further to this, having been informed that I intended to take the matter further and to post a review on Tripadvisor, he informed me that I was entitled to do as I wished, but that nearly all of the rooms in the hotel are contracted out to major companies. He then went on to tell me that I was not actually a hotel client as the room had been booked by Sunlover Holidays! So there I stood, effectively a persona non grata about whom the hotel cared little, because when matched against the business of the corporate giants I was totally irrelevant to their business model, a situation that I apparently shared with Sunlover Holidays! As a concession I was offered a complimentary breakfast, which I declined.

As I have said, I think that the hotel presents well and that the room that we had was very well furnished and decorated. No doubt the rest of the hotel is fine, but I can’t comment. The issue is with room 20 specifically and I suspect possibly room 30 also, as this is directly above. I really do not think that one can seriously be expected to sleep in the environment of room 20, given the persistent noise pollution to which it is subjected. It is my opinion that it would give better service as a storeroom.

As I pointed out to the night manager, it was without doubt, the worst experience that my wife and I have ever had in a hotel anywhere in the world. I have slept better on the ground in the middle of the Tasmanian wilderness, in a tent and frankly would have preferred to have been there last Friday night.

Before posting this review, I wrote to the general manager of the hotel to invite her comments regarding our experience, but did not receive a response.

Room Tip: Avoid room 20 and possibly 30. Room 20 is the first on the second floor opposite the stairs and lift...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve R
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed at the Metro for one night on a business trip and found the room and bed comfortable. Dinner was a buffet and so if a smaller meal was required it could not be eaten in the restaurant but had to be room service. Lovely meal though.
Swimming pool is outside and rather public which was a bit too uncomfortable to swim but the hotel is close the river and a superb walking track so exercise is easy to get.
Very close the airport and not far from the city.
Staff are friendly and helpful overall.

Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We booked the Deluxe room which was located on the 2nd floor. I didn't mind that there were no views as we were only passing through on our way to the airport. The hotel location is very convenient to the airport. Our check in was fast and friendly and check out at 4.30am was equally fast & friendly.

The room was absolutely fine - clean, everything worked and the king bed comfortable. Yes the bathroom was a little old and worn but all the amenities were there and the shower was great. Not bad value for Perth if you get a room at the right price and with free parking, that's a bonus. We didn't eat in but we did make our way to Mend street for an evening meal. I'd certainly stay here again if the room price was again around $160.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased you enjoyed your all but brief visit, next time you stay, make a little more time and take advantage of our executive river view rooms, the view is spectacular and you will not be disappointed.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

9 days in metro hotel for R + R. Restaurant is great food quality is very good.
Im in delux room and its very comfortable

Would be 5 stars if had laundry facilities and not only laundry service which is far too expensive!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Davidpearson85
CIrvin, General Manager at Metro Hotel Perth, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed our facilities. However, I am so sorry you were not informed that we do indeed have a guest laundry on site. A compendium in our guest rooms details all in house services.

Please in future if you are unsure about any of our facilities ask our reception staff who are only too willing to assist.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed at the Metro twice so far and its pretty good value- if you get a room with a view of the river it is the most amazing uninterrupted view of the city over the water. I am the type to only use the room at the end of the night for movies/tv, sleep and a cuppa and in that respect it is fantastic. For a weekend stay it's lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi Terry from Dublin,

Yes our views are some of the best in the world. Thank you for your great comment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#13 of 81 in Perth
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth

Been to Metro Hotel Perth? Share your experiences!