“Great Animals, Terrible Location”
Review of Perth Zoo

Perth Zoo
Book In Advance
More Info
$53.13*
and up
Perth Zoo General Entry Ticket and Sightseeing...
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in South Perth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located just minutes from Perth City, Perth Zoo is a convenient and beautiful way to meet Australia's incredible wildlife. Ever wanted to immerse yourself in the Aussie outback but have Asia's stunning rainforests and Africa's wild savannah right around the corner? Perth Zoo, with over 1500 animals and some of the most beautiful gardens in Western Australia, is your ultimate day out. Open every day of the year, Perth Zoo inspires and directs all work to save wildlife. Go for a bushwalk and discover the best of Australia's wildlife including koalas, emus, wallabies, kangaroos and our enormous saltwater crocodile, Simmo. Go for a safari through the African Savannah with rhinoceros, giraffe and lions or delve into the Asian Rainforest and meet elephants, Red Pandas, tigers, otters and a colony of endangered Sumatran Orangutans. You can explore at your own pace or take advantage of the many Zoo docent volunteers who have a myriad of stories to tell and help unlock some of the hidden secrets of the Zoo. With at least half a day needed to see the Zoo, we recommend a full day to make your experience the best it possibly can be! The carousel, wagon hire, zebra car rides, keeper presentations, free electric BBQ's, picnic tables and cafe make the experience all the more worth it. For the more adventurous get up close and book a daily Eye to Eye experience - you might feed a giraffe, pat a rock wallaby or meet our quokka!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Before I start, I should specifiy, I am a local to Perth.
I took a friend from the UK and she immensly enjoyed the entire trip, however as a local, it is not worth the trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,051)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"ferry"
in 141 reviews

Reviewed June 8, 2012

It was my daughters 11th birthday and we decided rather than have a party at home we would go to Perth Zoo. There were 14 of us in all and we decided as an extra special treat to go by stretch Hummer. We contacted Perth Stretch Hummers who specialise in doing childrens parties and were were amazed. A gorgeous pink Hummer turned up and inside there were balloons, soft drinks, chips and marshmallows. The lights were amazing and the even had a smoke machine. The girls sand on the karaoke and loved every minute of it. I was a bit worried the zoo might be a bit of a let down after this experience. i need not have been worried the staff at the zoo were excellent and the girls had an amazing day and even managed to touch an elephant. It has been a few years since I last went to the zoo and I must say how impressed I was at the facilities and the cleanliness.

The journey back was just as goo as the journey there in the pink Hummer. I would like to say a huge thanks to Simon our chauffeur/entertainer he was very patient with the girls. i would reccommend them and they can be found at www.perthhummer.com.au

1  Thank Carly123NewEltham
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Wonderful grassy, green zoo very close to the city centre with some wonderful displays of native and imported animals. Large enclosures, clean environment and plenty of picnic areas.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

What a really good zoo! Have never been before - being from overseas! Was so impressed by all I saw - and surprised at the huge size of it!
We went in the morning and spent the rest of the day there, only leaving because it was closing time!
So much to spend time looking at and discovering or just enjoying the antics of some of the animals - like watching the elephant 'retrieving it's ball in the water, and the Orangutans that could have kept me engrossed for hours - if I'd had had the spare hours.
The nocturnal house was a real lovely surprise. Far more animals than I'd have expected, all active and easy to see. I discovered so much about Australian wildlife!

We were happily exploring the Autralian outdoor region and met some kangaroos close up. Then looked at the time, and just enough time to get back to the shop for some souveniers before closing time!
For sure a place I'd visit a lot if I lived closer!