“Lunch at the Arms - rather so-so”

Stirling Arms Hotel
Ranked #15 of 25 Restaurants in Guildford
Cuisines: Bar, Australian, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Perth, Australia
“Lunch at the Arms - rather so-so”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'd booked a table at the Stirling Arms with some friends with the intent of having a leisurely sit down lunch after a morning of exploring the historic town of Guildford.

Though I had called nearly a week ahead to book a table, none was reserved for us and the only seats initially available was at the bar, or in the very sunny beer garden - right out in the sun. Thankfully, the lovely duty manager there set us a table in the restaurant, though as to why this had not been set up prior, I do not know.

The foot is pub grub at its most ordinary. Three of us ordered the thai fish cakes and were disappointed to find that there wasn't much fish in the fish cakes (and there were only two pieces of the fish cakes). I ordered the beer battered fish and chips and it was typical of this dish -- nothing to write home about. The steak sandwich looked rather impressive and seemed to go down nicely with some of us.

All in all, a disappointing outing -- when you're paying around $18 - $20 for a pub meal, you'd expect something a bit above average. As it was, there were 3-4 unfinished meals at our tables simply because the diners could not palate their food.

Perhaps we had caught it on an off-day but the overall quality of the meal was much to be desired.

Kudos though to the wonderfully friendly and helpful manager that day!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Seng M

Western Australia
“Great venue”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had my daughter's 21st here and I can not say enough about the service and value that we received. We purchased a 'per head' drinks package and platters of food. The drinks were flowing and they were not stingy at all like some places can be - in fact when I first viewed the prices and what you got I was amazed by the good value. The functions manager was very efficient and friendly and kept things moving nicely. We were able to have the music we wanted, decorate and basically had full exclusive use of the area.
The Stirling Arms has come a million miles from the dodgy place it used to be years ago and is definitely worth a look for functions or lunch/dinner (which we have also enjoyed on many occasions).

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank its_hot_in_WA
“Great pub food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

One of the best steaks if seen or tasted and all for $15. Great outdoor and indoor settings and worth a visit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank PowerhouseSimon9
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing turn around”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This venue had a bad rep a few years ago with cheap drink,a bad owner and anti social clientele.this place has turned around!Despite the unwelcoming fortress look and the garish bottle shop stuck to the front spoiling the colonial look its a good bar, with excellent food.A wider range of boutique tap beers would help.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Gav B
“Really Enjoyed It”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I grew up in Guildford and have seen this hotel undergo an amazing transformation (from a backwater pub filled with locals who barely knew what clothing was, through to reflective jackets city, through to something a little bit more refined now - great to see!).

I've actually been to this place three twice - twice to the "pub" section for food etc, which I thought was well price and the food very tasty (although a little bit light on for selection BUT I think they rotate the menus too).

However, my family and I decided to visit their newly refurbished restaurant section the other week and although it was mostly empty, the 4 of us had a great time and before you know it, racked up a $350+ dollar bill.

The drinks, service and food were all REALLY good... time flew by and we enjoyed ourselves. The only downside was the final cost... menu items in the restaurant ARE a bit expensive (which you may understand if this was a 5 star inner city hotel) but not for Guildford.

We had some entertainment book vouchers (buy one get one free) so the bill came down to $264.00 but considering that only two of us in the group had main meals (the other two shared a few snacks) I thought this was rather excessive pricing wise (especially SOME of the drinks, not all).

All in all, I would go back (with some more two for one e-book vouchers) but just a keep on the running tab

• Visited September 2012