“Ignore the negative reviews! Definately worth a visit!”
Review of The Assheton Arms

The Assheton Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Downham
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
manchester
“Ignore the negative reviews! Definately worth a visit!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A fantastic little village with a great little country pub! Yes it gets busy, but if you book in advance, at least they know you're on the way.
Ignore some reviews over bad service, we are happy to wait a little longer during busy times for fantastic food. And i don't agree with some folk that the pub should give you something for free if it has been explained to you before you order that there is a wait on food. If the product is substandard, then fair enough, otherwise its worth every penny for the fresh produce and wood burning fires!
Nothing negative to say here!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank foiegrasfreddie

Lancashire
“Try it”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Assheton Arms re-opened after a massive refurb this summer and by the looks - and taste - of everything, the investment is paying off.
We ate here a fortnight before Christmas. It was busy with a Christmas party as well as couples etc. Food was excellent, well presented and reasonably priced.
Our son and wife, a far more foodie pair than we are, went more recently and were also most impressed. The place was busy again, but food was served in good time and with no delays.
There're plenty of fish dishes on the menu, as well as meat and veggie offerings.

• Visited December 2012
Durham
“So Pleased We Turned Right”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stumbled across The Assheton Arms by turning right at the junction. We could not have found a more accommodating Oasis had we spent the rest of the day looking. Made to feel welcome by friendly young lady behind the bar. Decided to have a couple of starters instead of packet of crisps & can were not dissapointed with the Goats Bruchetta or Beef skewers. Would recommend and will certainly return when next in Lancashire.

• Visited January 2013
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Assheton Arms’ knee-jerk reaction to my first Trip Advisor review was to have it deleted. They did that instead of contacting me with some kind of goodwill gesture for the inconvenience I was caused or using any form of customer service. That’s in-keeping with my experience in the pub.
It went like this - I phoned just after lunchtime and asked about 4 of us coming in for an afternoon meal. "No problem, just come in before 6, it gets manic after that". We arrived at 230 and were surprised and annoyed to be told the restaurant was full but there was room in the bar. We had wanted to sit in a restaurant not a bar. We were sat down at a round pub table not far from the door beside a draughty window by a younger, good and friendly waiter who seemed to be working in the restaurant but looked after us anyway. Our drinks order was taken and he delivered them promptly.
We sat with the menus for over 15 minutes thinking that since the drinks service had been at the table so would the food order. Giving up, I went up to the bar and asked if I could order food there. A guy around 40 years old said "there's no way we can take any food orders for at least 20 minutes". I was taken aback mostly by the aggression, but also by the unapologetic attitude and the unacceptable delay. I returned to the bar table where the other 3 in my party were sitting. We were very disappointed. I went back up to the bar and said “When I phoned 20 minutes before we arrived I wasn't told the restaurant was full or that you were experiencing significant delays from the kitchen. When we arrived we weren't told that there would be a long delay for food and then when I tried to order you didn't apologise when you ill-naturedly told me about the unacceptable wait".
This would have been a good opportunity to make a gesture of any form of customer service e.g. waive the price of the drinks we’d had or “OK we’ll give you 2 starters for free” but there was nothing but defiance. Good customer service really is simple stuff but only if you want to provide it.
It's unprofessional and not commercial of the Assheton Arms to have more tables than can be served. If the kitchen is that small then it shouldn’t offer food to more covers than can be accommodated. People like to know what’s going on. If you fool people into thinking things are like a normal restaurant and then nothing is – you create deep disappointment. This really is basic customer service. Being belatedly and belligerently told my starter will probably arrive an hour after arrival is unacceptable.
Good customer service starts at the top. The “managerial” response to criticism from Chris 1801 comes across as defiant, egotistical drivel and that sets the tone for the attitude of the rest of the staff. The overly aggressive guy behind the bar is only like that because his boss makes him think he can get away with that kind of ungraceful behaviour.
I paid for the drinks and went straight round to Piccolino's in Clitheroe, we spent £146, the service there was exemplary and the food superb. There are many other alternatives in the Ribble valley to the Assheton Arms.

• Visited December 2012
8 Thank jimmydash
AsshetonManager, Manager at The Assheton Arms, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Sir,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, this is the first opportunity i have had.

The first point to address is if you were spoken to in a way which offended you in any way I apologise as this is not what we strive to achieve.

I appreciate that you had called ahead of your arrival to the Assheton, but without booking a table dining at a set time cannot be confirmed. If we have a lot of walk in trade before like you did on this occasion, unfortunately they will have been seated in the restaurant first, to the capacity the kitchen can cook for.

We are a pub with a lot of locals and walkers who enjoy a drink but in comfortable surroundings. We do not have more tables than we can accommodate for reasons as you suggest, but a pub which is comfortable to sit in and enjoy a drink with no pressure to order food and do not pester people other wise.

It is genuinely upsetting to hear you have not had the experience you hoped for, and your first review was removed by trip advisor, not me for scoring is 1 out of 5 for food when you had not eaten any. I had every intention of contacting you but have not had chance before you had reposted, and on that note you are upset with me for not contacting you before trip advisor removed your review, but you also could have contacted me in a direct way for me to rectify.

I again apologise for anything that wasn't a great experience at the Assh, and assure you the manner in which you felt you were treated is not how we behave. If you do change your mind and want to revisit please contact me directly and i will meet you in person.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A Special Place”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just love the Asshenton arms we came across this place quite by accident about ten years ago and glad to say it's just got better and better many wonderful lunches would love to try this place in the evening working on that great food in a wonderful location and the best pimms ive ever had good wine food and service give this place a try its well worth a detour and what a beautiful village and location

• Visited August 2012