“My Home away from Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Daanbantayan
Skip's Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Daanbantayan B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Skips is awesome. I love the people the rooms are clean and air conditioned. Belle is an incredible cook and her staff are as well. They are there to look after every thing for you. Best beach around shallow for over a hundred yards out and when the tide is in it is right up to the stairs on the lanai. Good location and did i mention I love the people. This is a family run business and it has a fascinating history in regards to its founder Skip. They will accommodate special requests within reason, and can arrange local travel. I have stayed there several times and will keep my room even if I venture out of town for a few days. Honesty and service is in their nature. Did I mention I love these people! You will also. Did i also mention the best food on the island! They will even cook and prepare anything you find while out n about. Just don't expect fast food because its to good for that. and if you are looking for the ritz carlton don't leave new york.

Room Tip: Some rooms are in the cabana's in the yard. I have been here only after the hurricane yolanda an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Charles E
There are newer reviews for Skip's Beach Resort

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Skip's is a guest house in Maya...the main port area that you travel through to get to the island of Malapascua via boat. We got there during a storm so no boats were crossing. There are almost no choices for places to stay in the area other than maybe finding a local family to stay with. Skips comes to the rescue with a nice, safe place to hang your hat until you can continue on. Other people we met choose to just stay there for weeks or even months at a time.

The place was owned by Skip Ellsworth and his Filipino wife. Skip studied with Bruce Lee during his life but died several years ago. His wife and sons continue to run the hotel. They are awesome people.

I walked in from a storm at night and was given a nice room. They also have a nice lobby/eating/drinking area to relax with a beer and some unexpected GREAT food. I had a burger that was really good! It was just all so unexpected.

A great place to stay on your travels. It's warm, comfortable and friendly. A great value too. This is not a fancy hotel BUT it is perfect for what it is.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ColorX
Reviewed August 24, 2013

A beautiful view of the Cebu sea. A welcoming atmosphere from Belle and the kids. (That means you Chip !). Cozy bar and patio with a great sea view. Very good food. Malapascua island is a short banka ride away . Rented a motorbike and rode down to Bogo and around town. Very nice people in this area. I was priveleged to meet some of the locals and made some friends. Got to see a few festivals and parties too. Even went to a cockfight. This is provincial Cebu. Sugar country. So there's no "nightlife" except the one you make ! I really had fun here and learned a lot. Stayed here twice. 4 or five days each time. I will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phil D
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Skip's Beach Resort is a great place to hang back and relax and get away from the busy busy life we all are used to . It is a relaxing and nice place that is off the beatin trail , as they say . One of the best things about the place is the hospitality. The people here really make you feel like you are home, They treat you like family and it is a really nice experience. Hospitality , Relaxation and Beauty ... not a bad combo for a vacation :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ChipE E
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place and Skip was one of the reasons I had come to the Philippines.
Daan Bantayan, Cebu Island. No 1200P rooms only 1400P rooms Mar 28-Apr 01 Normally out of my price range but after 3 weeks of travel we needed a nice place to kick back for a few days
Skips Beach Resort Nice beach, real nice people.
Full when we got there but got us accommodation for a night further down the beach. WI-fi in rooms, tv etc. Worth the trip up there. Nice and relaxing
Got up and made us coffee at 5 in morning when we left.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I went to this place after I stumbled onto it surfing the Internet in one of my trips to Cebu looking for a far off get away where you get lost and enjoy it.

Skip Ellsworth founded it and ran it for years with his wife Belle, sadly he is passed a few years back, but Belle still runs the place and does a great job reserving the concept. This is place where couples can have a great time, guys wanting to get lost in a far away place where the friendly factor is HIGH, or just a quick stop on your way to others.

Belle makes great food, each order is made from scratch, and a real treat was ordering a "The Great American Cheese Burger" I had doubts, because just about everyone in Asia botches the task. NOT BELLE and her staff, this was one of the best burgers I ever had and could stand on it's own in the states. I had the corn pancakes for breakfast, awesome!

I felt like I had just come home to meet some old friends so much so I came back for a second to take the pictures that I wanted to take the first time. Same experience.

The water there is nice, and when the tide goes out it makes for a great walk and when it's in it a great swim, very safe coastal waters, some say that it has healing powers, well I think that the stress level from the city dropped 10 points and I just felt better.

All the natives were super friendly and almost don't care about where your from or if you have money, the spirit in the people runs with God, as at sunset I witnessed a group of fisherman gathered way out on a sand bar singing praise to God in unison, it was so nurturing to see humans acting, like well humans to each other, not quite like the big city.

I took a motorcycle up from Cebu, not recommended for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. I have travelled over 2,000,000 miles and have been on motorcycles my whole life, and it was dangerous, but scooting around once you get there is not an issue, and Belle or her staff will come get you from the bus station, no worries, FOR FREE. Go to their website and you'll see all the things they will do for free and it's true!

From here you can golf at Queen Island Golf Resort which is new and nice, not too expensive either. I am sure Belle could arrange transport for you and your clubs. There are also many areas to scoot off to for those picture of a life time especially the sunsets that you friends will love looking at and hearing about.

Belle and I also came up with a new drink it's part of the JCC Tropical Drinks.

I like Jack and Cokes now and then as a change from red wine, but in Cebu we added the "calimansi" (not sure if that's spelled right) juice and put it in with the Jack Daniels on ice then poured the Coke. What a nice drink, and I did drink more than I usually do once the unusual taste grew on me. You can't make that drink anywhere else in the world.

I encourage anyone to patronize Skip's Beach Resort as a little comfortable beautiful dive that leaves you wanting more. The food is better than the Radisson Blue, which is purported to be a 5 star hotel, and everything else is better. I think her brother in law does dive tours as well.

They are well established and more than happy to accommodate your vacation desires without hitting your pocket book too hard. Lovely people, lovely place, I look forward to the next time.

Room Tip: No. 7, and the fitness center is low tide a good brick run, and the pool is the ocean, Cheers
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Al B
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I arrived at skips following a long days travel and was pleasantly surprised with the location and homely atmosphere. Following some positive reveiews read online i went straight to skips.

It is about a one hour tricycle ride from bogo port and just a few kms from maya pier. Situated right on the coast it is a great location. Waves lap against the breakwater as you go to sleep and food is fresh and affordable starting at php140 for a main.

Rooms start at php1000, which is well above my usual budget, but it was late when i arrived and didn't want to move on, i was only staying for one night and travelling to malapascua the next day. This price covers a single room, private bathroom, free wifi and beach views. Unfortunately for this price there is no hotwater (something i was really looking forward to after a long day of traveling) and breakfast is not included. I did not take advantage of other facilities which appeared to be included, such as free bike and row boat hire, and free snorkelling hire.

I was the only guest that night but the family/staff are very friendly and accomodating . The house is fantastic, full of character and an interesting collection of books, shells, ornaments and pictures of the late skip.

If this is in your price range, i would definitely recommend it, but a little pricey for the resting us backpackers.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank hannah389
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daanbantayan
Kandaya Resort
#4 of 13 in Malapascua Island
Casa Del Mar Beach Hotel
Casa Del Mar Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in San Remigio

Been to Skip's Beach Resort? Share your experiences!