“Disappointing.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2014

It has been a couple of years or even longer since we went to the Saracens. It was one restaurant in Shrewsbury that was reliably and consistently good. Last week we took two friends from out of town to dinner there.
The staff were young and there didn't appear to any senior member of staff present.
The food was not good generally. The waitress lacked knowledge of the menu.
The service was generally poor and lacklustre. The steak was overlooked and tough. The pork had been reheated. We did not complain because it was a special occasion and we did not want to embarrass our guests.

The toilets were not clean and the Ladies had no toilet paper.

We will not be returning unfortunately.

The owner used to look after us personally. I now know that the restaurant has changed hands and obviously this is the result of the changes. Very very disappointing.

1  Thank patstubbs

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Four of us stayed last weekend on a Groupon Deal which included a 7 course taster menu which was outstanding, could hardly move afterwards. The breakfasts were just as good, nice choice and cooked just right. We seemed to be the only ones staying there, the rooms were small but comfortable. Only 5 miles from Shrewsbury so was a great location.

3  Thank Cazant_11
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I purchased a voucher from Groupon which included a two night stay for two with breakfast and a 7 course tasting menu. I definitely got value for money! The breakfast both mornings was absolutely lovely and the tasting menu was some of the best food I have ever had. The service was quick and very polite. I would definitely recommend the restaurant to anyone and will hopefully be returning myself!

The accommodation was not particularly special but was perfectly comfortable, clean and well-serviced with TV, hairdryer, tea-making facilities etc. I believe the accommodation is undergoing a revamp at the moment...

2  Thank Caroline F
Reviewed June 5, 2014

A group of 4 of us went last Thursday, to celebrate a birthday. there were only 4 others dining, but we were welcomed and taken to a very comfortable table, and shown an exciting menu. it was clear that the chef (& staff) took a pride in what was on offer. All 3 courses were beautifully presented and the varied tastes were both excellent and balanced.The wine list was extensive and reasonably priced.
Portions sizes are not huge, but we left feeling comfortably full. All aspects were of high quality.
we will certainly be returning in the near future.

3  Thank david o
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This used to be the very special place to go where every little thing from the appetisers and breads to the food and service was impeccable.
Lately for me I think it has lost its va va va voom. The prices have come down, it is open more days a week but it is not fantastic any more, so I will be looking for somewhere else to go for those special occasions. Ok for the usual though of course.

1  Thank Munchymm